Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Halls of Residence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm going to be starting at the School of Design at Northumbria University in Newcastle in just over a month and, even though I applied late, managed to get my first choice halls.

I'd researched the place thoroughly before making the choice and compared it to the other places offered but what has recently concerned me is that there is no cooking equipment other than a microwave and the electricity is only PARTLY paid for. This means that I could be facing some pretty hefty additional fees.

How did others with no cooking equipment in their halls survive - did you live on takeaways? Should the extra fueling costs be a concern? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You mean, there are no pots and pans or there's no oven/hob or what?
  • Options
    Yea true, well i live in a 3 bedroom house which is on a elecy meter and use about £5 a week so it shudnt cost u much!!
  • Options
    Neil wrote:
    there is no cooking equipment other than a microwave and the electricity is only PARTLY paid for. This means that I could be facing some pretty hefty additional fees.
    could always go onto a university meal plan of some sorts?!
    you should never underestimate what you can do with a microwave ;):p
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You mean, there are no pots and pans or there's no oven/hob or what?

What I was thinking. If it is self-catered, I can't imagine them not giving you an oven and hob though :confused:

If it is the case that it is just equicpment like pots and pans, plates etc-most people seem to pick up a few bits nd pieces that they use and do that. I was a bit different to that-I love cooking and came to uni with a full saucepan set, ovenproof dishes, many plates and hundreds of utensils :blush:

Oh, when I lived in a shared house at first, we paid all of our electricity and it came to about £6 each between 5 of us for a month, so as long as you are sensible with lights, turning things off when you don't use them, you should be fine.