Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advise urgently needed - plz!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone, hope you're all having a good weekend!

I really need some help - well, advise really. I am, I suppose, what you'd call an 'academic' - I've just finished my GCSE's and should hopefully get some good grades. But after that, I have three choices for sixth from - I applied and got into four, but one of them is Thomas Telford which I didn't really lke when I visted.

My first choice is my old school's sixth form, which has horrendous A-level results and not v.good teaching - but all my friends are there and it's a nice place.

My second choice is the Wolverhanpton Girl's High which is rated the best school in my area for A-Levels - numero uno. It's got a fabbity reputation, and it's the norm to take extra A-levels and get straight A's. When I went on the induction I was ill for most of it and had to keep going home (three day induction) so that didn't make a v.good impression. The teachers didn't seem v.nice - I didn't get on well with any of them. The students were nice but all super clever and I didn't really click with anyone. The politics teacher was eeeevil and wouldn't excuse me from the lesson - I had a v.bad bladder infection so it's essential to go to the toilet when you need to (and painful if you don't) but i didn't really want to announce that to him or the class.

My third choice is Adam's Grammar - it hasn't got quite such a brillos report as Wolvo Girl's High - but it does have v.good A-level results and a good rep, and I really liked the school building, and the people, and the teachers were so enthusiastic!

I knowI should 'go where I'd be most happy etc.' but I honestly would be most happy where I get the best A-level results - not in a horrible 'I won't talk to anyone, I'll just sit in the corner and revise' way - just I'd really like to get into a good Uni!

Any advise would be muchly appreciated!

Hannah xxx :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It sounds like you are pretty enthusiastic about the "Adams Grammar" place. It sounds like the one you like most.

Sure grades are important, but at the same time you need to be somewhere you like, and will have friends. If you are willing to sacrifice your social life for higher academic achievment then go to the Wolverhampton place.

What do you parents say on the matter?
    I'd go for the third one.
    I often find I do my best work when I'm happy with where I am and happy in life :)
    Ok, pros and cons.

Old school, if you can motivate yourself to do the necessary work out of hours you will still get good grades, teachers may be crap, but I guess they still know the answers, and you get to stay with your mates.

Wolverhampton Girl's High, it's always difficult to click with people on an induction course, especially if both of you are holding up pre-conceptions about the other. It's possible for you to have a good time there, and you'd probably get the grades you want.

Adam's Grammar, sounds like the one you want to go to. You'll work best where you are happiest, you need to be self-motivated to get the A-level grades, you won't do as well if you expect to be spoon fed.

I vote option number 3 tbh.
    I also vote choice three! The grades don't always depend on the teachers, they often mostly depend on the amount of work your willing to put in (which is why I think my friends who are about to start sixth form while I go college will fail), and you wont want to put the effort in at a place you don't like and where you feel lonely.

I also support your dislike of Thomas Telford... they run a GCSE ICT course which our school participates in and it was such a ***** ******** **** , ****** **** ***** ***** (swears for a while). It expects too much I think!
    Thanks for your advise! MYSTIFYMYSOUL - my parents think Wolvo girls high because its closer to home - for Adams I'd need to use the chool coach - which does mean no after-school activities :-(
    A-levels are after school activities.
    Thomas Telford has an excellent reputation.
    you will get good results at any of them if you put the extra work in yourself, you have to be happy enough to do that though.
    I'd recommend that you attend whichever one doesn't mind having an "academic" who can't spell advice.

Ouch. I'm in a bitchy mood today.
    I'm feeling a bit nice today, so thought I'd point out it's a mistake I might make, being of the dyslexic persuasion, and I'm still probably in an academic catagory.
    are you sure you want to be posting the possible names of colleges you'll be going to on an internet message board...?
    Well, why not? Seriously, there must be a few hundred people in any given sixth form, it's not like she's posted her full name and home address.