Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

International Student

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So, I am completely euphoric over the fact that I have been accepted at my chosen university.
Thing is that now i have to prepare for the move overseas.

I was wondering if there were other International Students here with tips on how to settle? Or maybe if people just had some general tips which the info recieved from the university doesn't cover?

I have so many questions, but don't even know where to start... ARGH!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Which uni are you going to?

My tips for international students would be - shop around for storage options for your stuff in the summer, because some are really expensive.

Don't just hang around with all the other international students, apply for first year halls and stuff and meet as many ppl as possible.

Fly Pikey-Air (Ryanair) or other cheapo equivalent when you go home, even if the airports are miles away from uni in the UK and where you live abroad.

Probably loads of other things that are useful to know but can't think of any right now!
  • Options
    Which uni are you going to?

My tips for international students would be - shop around for storage options for your stuff in the summer, because some are really expensive.

Don't just hang around with all the other international students, apply for first year halls and stuff and meet as many ppl as possible.

Fly Pikey-Air (Ryanair) or other cheapo equivalent when you go home, even if the airports are miles away from uni in the UK and where you live abroad.

Probably loads of other things that are useful to know but can't think of any right now!

actual good advice :)

talk to all sots of people and dont just brush them off if they seem different at first, youll realise who uet on best with at end of year or by end of 1st term
  • Options
    I'd say apply to halls or normal self catered accomidation. Just because you're some weird foreigner it doesn't mean that British students won't want to talk to you. :p
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I'd say apply to halls or normal self catered accomidation. Just because you're some weird foreigner it doesn't mean that British students won't want to talk to you. :p

Normally it seems to be the other way round. The international students stay together and don't really meet all that many British students.
  • Options
    Have applied to Self-Catered, and I hope that I will be put in accomodation with British people, as I think it'd be easier for me to communicate with them than with many non/european students (no offence).
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Have applied to Self-Catered, and I hope that I will be put in accomodation with British people, as I think it'd be easier for me to communicate with them than with many non/european students (no offence).

I know of a dutch girl who did fine in one of my friends hall. You'll meet people on your course too, Politics seems to have a high about of northern Europeans. ;)
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I know of a dutch girl who did fine in one of my friends hall. You'll meet people on your course too, Politics seems to have a high about of northern Europeans. ;)

I can't wait!
    I wish I knew what it will be like already!
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I can't wait!
    I wish I knew what it will be like already!

The only thing I know about Sheffield is that the accomidation is good 10 minutes or more bus ride from the campus, i think. I'm sure it'll be great, it's a city so it should have an amazing nightlife especially with there being two universities located there.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    The only thing I know about Sheffield is that the accomidation is good 10 minutes or more bus ride from the campus, i think. I'm sure it'll be great, it's a city so it should have an amazing nightlife especially with there being two universities located there.

Don't care about the distance to the university, but am more worried about the clubs closing at a ridiculous hour like 1-2 am as I have heard is normal in England :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Don't care about the distance to the university, but am more worried about the clubs closing at a ridiculous hour like 1-2 am as I have heard is normal in England :crazyeyes

Thats what it usually is in Exeter, but it's only a small city.

It's Sheffield, the 4th largest city in the UK according to the prospectus so I'm sure there will be things at are open until the very early hours at the weekends.
  • Options
    Which leads me to...

Anyone knows what time the clubs close?
    And what excatly the Meet and Greet scheme thing is? And if it's worth it?
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Which leads me to...

Anyone knows what time the clubs close?
    And what excatly the Meet and Greet scheme thing is? And if it's worth it?

Some clubs close later. But you won't get served drink beyond about that time.
  • Options
    That is, excuse my language, completely fucked. We don't enter clubs here before that time!

Either way, again, anyone been to the meet and greet scheme, or knows anyone who has, or by chance knows what goes on at this thing?
  • Options
    youd just have to get used to going out earlier I guess.
    i went up to Sheffield recently and it seemed like a nice place. The university campuses seem to be quite spread out throughout the town.
  • Options
    lots of clubs in london are open much later till about 6ish and sometimes till 8 or 9 - but it i've no idea about outside of london really - for really big nights out you might have to go to manchester - oh and you can get drinks till the early hours as well in london at least.
  • Options
    youd just have to get used to going out earlier I guess.
    i went up to Sheffield recently and it seemed like a nice place. The university campuses seem to be quite spread out throughout the town.

Yeah. The Politics department was an age away from the rest of the uni when I visited it.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    lots of clubs in london are open much later till about 6ish and sometimes till 8 or 9 - but it i've no idea about outside of london really - for really big nights out you might have to go to manchester - oh and you can get drinks till the early hours as well in london at least.

Love London :(
  • Options
    A friend of my brothers has just finished a Politics degree in Sheffield (she got a first) and is staying on to do her masters. You might come across her, she gets very very involved in everything! She absolutely loves Sheffield, infact she hasn't even come back down here this summer!
  • Options
    I am completely confused.

The tuition fee for UK and EU students is 1175 pounds. As I am looking through the info thing I have gotten it seems as if I should have sent in a form of getting "the rest" paid for me.
    And as much as I read this, I have no clue of what I am meant to do. Or should have done?
    Anyone????
  • Options
    We had to send student loan form to our local education authority. Maybe its something like that. Sorry I find it all a bit confusing tbh.
  • Options
    £1175 per annum is all the UK pay, but I gather tuition fees actually amount to more than this but the extra amount is paid by the Government.
  • Options
    Scarlet wrote:
    £1175 per annum is all the UK pay, but I gather tuition fees actually amount to more than this but the extra amount is paid by the Government.

That is the same which I should pay.
    Thing is that apparently I was supposed to send in an application so the rest could be paid :(
  • Options
    So on the letter I recieved I have been informed that I have gotten accomodation in Sorby Halls - which are catered.
    The place I needed to log on online to gain further information, gives me information about Endcliffe Vale flats, which were my first priority - and self-catered.

I am of course going to call the accomodation office on monday, but anyone knows what is most likely I have gotten?