Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ethical dilemma!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok i need help and i need it now!

My mum's gone away and as she's not coming back until after my birthday she's left me a few presents and told me not to open them until day of. Now ordinarily i wouldn't care and would wait...its been many years since i've been overly bothered about presents.

However i remember telling her i really wanted to read a dylan biography called Chronicles and i'm 100% positive that one of the presents is this. I really,really want to open it! I know there's no way she'd ever know!

But I can't help but feel i should wait as i told her i would.

People...your opinions:
1) after a life time of never once looking for hidden presents and of never opening a present before time am i allowed this one little indiscretion?

2) Or would i be condemned to hell for lying to the old dear?

3) or at my age is it just plain sad that i'm even considering not waiting for a bloody birthday present?

help me out here please

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always like to wait for birthday pressies tbh :)

makes them all the nicer to have!
    Heh i'd say not open it and ruin the surprise :p because your mum will find out; that's mum's for you. But it will ruin the surprise, as I found out at xmas when I was 9 :p
    id open just that one present you know is the book, then save the other presents for the big day.
    OK people you've totally missed the point!

Its hardly going to ruin the suprise ... i *KNOW* what it is! Its not going to spoil the day - this is the first time in a couple of years that i've even had a present from my mum for my birthday .... and i'm going to be at work on the day anyway.

She won't find out ... mum's lose a large part of their mysterious abilities to ferret out all your wrong doing some time around when you turn 21. After that point its left to the police to point them out to her.

This is pure ethics - its wrong ... but how wrong?
    id open just that one present you know is the book, then save the other presents for the big day.

See this is what i was thinking! So that's acceptable then?
    thats what I would do. I think its nice to have presents to open on the actual day, but theyre your presents. I nearly always open mine early, cos birthdays just arent that big a deal. I worked my birthday this year from 9am till 12midnight. I just opened stuff as and when I got it. I thought thats what everyone did past childhood.
    Well i've never really been that fussed about a present enough to think about opening it before ... would feel a bit guilty
    don't do it! read something else to bide the time.

plus i'll grass on you. my sister once opened a present on christmas eve and taped it back up and i told on her. :p :yeees:
    plus i'll grass on you.

You wouldn't! :nervous:
    At the end of the day it comes down to whether you can deal with the guilt :p
    if she found out, you could start crying uncontrolably and tell her you opened it because you felt unloved as a child and that if she REALLY loved you should would have been there to make SURE you didnt open it early, plus she would have written you a note to get the day off work!!
    you could start crying uncontrolably and tell her you opened it because you felt unloved as a child and that if she REALLY loved you should would have been there to make SURE you didnt open it early, plus she would have written you a note to get the day off work!!

Nah ... already used the waterworks and 'unloved as a child' scam to get her to iron my shirt last friday night! Fuck!

Right ... I know .... i'm going to look at it for a while without opening it and hopefully that will cure me of the desire to open it. I just don't see how this plan can possibly go wrong!
    Jon_UK wrote:
    You wouldn't! :nervous:

would.
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Right ... I know .... i'm going to look at it for a while without opening it and hopefully that will cure me of the desire to open it. I just don't see how this plan can possibly go wrong!

Apart from the fact it's probably going to make you want to open it more. Go on. Just open it. You know you want to - its sitting there, staring at you, MOCKING you with its shiny wrapping paper. Show that present who's boss. SHOW it that YOU can do what you want with it when you want, you can open it, or burn it, if you want.

You = the man.
    You know you want to - its sitting there, staring at you, MOCKING you with its shiny wrapping paper. Show that present who's boss. SHOW it that YOU can do what you want with it when you want, you can open it, or burn it, if you want.

You = the man.
    YEAH, show that little WHORE of a present. It just cant go around, flirting with your emotions like that. TEMPTING you with its sultry giftwrap.
    Would.
    :p so ner
    Apart from the fact it's probably going to make you want to open it more. Go on. Just open it. You know you want to - its sitting there, staring at you, MOCKING you with its shiny wrapping paper. Show that present who's boss. SHOW it that YOU can do what you want with it when you want, you can open it, or burn it, if you want.

You = the man.

Or ... i could open it and then judge it by its cover! mwahahaha!
    youre gonna be so gutted when you open it and find out shes actually bought you enid blytons best Famous Five stories.
    youre gonna be so gutted when you open it and find out shes actually bought you enid blytons best Famous Five stories.

:hyper: Oh man I love Famous Five!!! ;)
    Mwahaha it was chronicles (after 1/2 bottle of wine and a few cigarettes I just couldn't resist the damn thing).

And, as its her wine, mum'll be so angry that I nicked another bottle of alcohol from her 'hidden' stash that she wont even care that I opened this early!

Genius is a heavy gift! :yes:
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Mwahaha it was chronicles (after 1/2 bottle of wine and a few cigarettes I just couldn't resist the damn thing).

And, as its her wine, mum'll be so angry that I nicked another bottle of alcohol from her 'hidden' stash that she wont even care that I opened this early!

Genius is a heavy gift! :yes:

Lmao! :lol: trading one evil for another? :p
    Lmao! :lol: trading one evil for another? :p

It makes sense - when she comes back I'll be moving out again inside a week ... she might not realise about the wine until to late ... she'll have to settle for screaming down the phone.

I can handle the anger just not the damned dissapointment!
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Nah ... already used the waterworks and 'unloved as a child' scam to get her to iron my shirt last friday night! Fuck!

It could go wrong cos she's bluffing about being away for your birthday and will surprise you by coming home the night before, and then she'll find out! ;) Mums are very devious like that :naughty: