Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Irish peoples please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you pronounce this please?!

MacSomhairle

I've got to phone up and ask for this fella by name on Monday. :|

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Miffy wrote:
    How do you pronounce this please?!

MacSomhairle

I've got to phone up and ask for this fella by name on Monday. :|

Mac So-warl-ya :)

sorry removed w, not sow as in a female pig
    Not Irish, just bored but I'd say Mac - Som - Early
    Not Irish, just bored but I'd say Mac - Som - Early

See, that'd be my best guess too, so it's got to be wrong!

Cheers Turlough. Though I've got to say that's an odd name. Not one I've heard before in any form.
    Miffy wrote:
    See, that'd be my best guess too, so it's got to be wrong!
    :p

I still cant say it now we've been told the right way!
    Miffy wrote:
    Cheers Turlough. Though I've got to say that's an odd name. Not one I've heard before in any form.

there's "Irish" names like Paddy and Sean, then there's proper Irish names like Padraig and Turlough lol, there's quite a bit of them in Ireland these days, it's become quite fashionable to have a really Irish name
    turlough wrote:
    there's "Irish" names like Paddy and Sean, then there's proper Irish names like Padraig and Turlough lol, there's quite a bit of them in Ireland these days, it's become quite fashionable to have a really Irish name

Yeah I know, but quite often you can still tell what the anglicised version is. That one might as well be Greek to me!

Glittery Vodka, unless I've got it wrong too, it's like MacSomalia only with a w not an m. :D
    i shouldn't worry too much about getting it perfect, he's probably used to having it pronounced in all sorts of ways!
    turlough wrote:

My cousins called Padraig, and I've been told to pronounce it 'Porrock', but everyone calls him Paddy. Tbh, I prefer the welsh side of my family :D
    I had a girl in my class called Dearbhla [Derv-la]
    FilthyChav wrote:
    My cousins called Padraig, and I've been told to pronounce it 'Porrock'

I went to college with a guy called that, and he used to pronnonce his 'Porrig/Porrick'.

it's possible us dirty english have bastardised it a bit though. like siobhan gets pronnounced 'shervorn' and 'shivon'.
    Ahh the woes of having a name nobody can read! Good luck with that one...it could be pronounced so many different ways..

My name is Mhairi - say marry like "will you marry me?" :angel: You have no idea how many times I've had to ask people that just so they understand my name. lol.