Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Intesive Learning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi there,

I have had 7 hours of tuition with BSM, (through cashing in my mums tesco clubcard points!) They finished back in May largely due to the fact that my instructor started smoking in the car!!

I would really like to start driving again, I have one hour credit left with BSM, and have requested a new instructor- my mum could send off for another 6 hours worth of vouchers throughthe clubcard scheme...or I could go with a different provider.

I've just been lookig through the Yellow Pages and found that lots of companies seem to offer intensive courses- has anyone done one of these? How much did it cost you? How long did it take? Was it effective? I've learnt the basics- changing gear, turning etc...

Any advicce? I am completely strapped for cash- but as I've not joined my parents and brother on holiday in Canada for 18 days I'm hoping that they might feel able to help me out on this one (they did leave me some cahs when they went- but £80 won't cover much after my bus fares, meal out and a haircut!)

Cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Intensive courses may get your to pass your test quickly (and that's not even a given) but they don't get you the experience needed to actually be able to drive a car.
  • Options
    Ohh- another one for you then; what if I was to persuade my mum to put me on her insurance for a month? She works in a school so it would be from the 2nd week in August to the 2nd week in September...could go out practically everyday.
  • Options
    Well, if your mum doesn't mind taking you out every day. But still if you learn to drive in a short space of time you don't get experience of varying conditions. IE, driving at night, in the rain, in different traffic, on dry roads, on wet roads, in icey conditions, and so on and so forth.

The problem is not the course, it's how you learn. You will learn to pass your test, and any driver will tell you that the way you drive to pass, and the way you will drive, are very different.
  • Options
    Well, we don't actually DO alot in the hols, apart form trips to town, tesco's DIY shops etc- which would be ideal for me to drive one way or both; Iif I could gain the experience in the four weeks then I could take lessons again in September and do some more work then... its just the cost really- I'm not going ot be able to get a car as soon as I pass- so if I can just pass then I will be driving mums car- so she will actually be there alot of the time (as we go to much the same places!)
  • Options
    I'd recommend passing your test before uni (if you're going) or enter full on full time work after school, because the amount of money or amount of time to learn is vastly decreased. But if you have the time, I'd still recommend that you spread out your learning, driving with your mum whenever, and some time with an instructor (who'll teach you how to pass as well as drive) over a few months where you'll drive in more conditions for better experience.