Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Media

Does anybody here trust a word they say? If you do, can you justify why?

Sorry, just a bit peeved with the media at the minute. For purely personal reasons.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wish I could find a media source that just presented the facts. They can never just say "Person Y was charged with murder" it's always "Person Y appeared in the dock wearing a green jumper, looking worried and with puffy eyes. They have been charged with the hideous and grusome murder of their much loved pet gerbil, Munchie, who is today being laid to rest."

I think the media are far too emotive. And it isn't even true emotion.
  • Options
    Depends what you mean. in the details my experience the media can be slapdash, and they also the way they write stories can make them see more exciting than they are

Two examples

- when I was in Bosnia years ago The Guardian several times got the name of my regiment wrong. But the general reporting which was that we were there was right.

More recently I went to a conference where a later media report said one of the speakers launched a 'stinging attack' on the Govt. I was sitting there and his rather mild complaints hardly qualified as an attack, never mind a stinging one. The quotes the Guardian used may have been accurate, but the way they described the conference wasn't.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I wish I could find a media source that just presented the facts. They can never just say "Person Y was charged with murder" it's always "Person Y appeared in the dock wearing a green jumper, looking worried and with puffy eyes. They have been charged with the hideous and grusome murder of their much loved pet gerbil, Munchie, who is today being laid to rest."

I think the media are far too emotive. And it isn't even true emotion.

Yeah what you have said is so true. It's always opinions and never straight information. Therefore it is always influencing your judgement of a particular topic and issue.
  • Options
    I would say some sectors of the media are slightly less biased than others. I've noticed for one thing, Sky News will report anything within a second while the BBC waits a minute or two and actually ensures the news is factually correct.

However, when it comes to how they phrase the news they are all incredibly biased. Just the words they use to describe certain events highlights just how opinionated they are. The worst thing is some people actually believe it :(
  • Options
    I have a friend who is a reporter.

I believe some of the stuff he "reveals" down the pub, but as for what he does at work, not a chance.

I despise it, tbh and only pay any attention to it when something amazing like the london bombings or 9/11 occurs.

Everyone can do with getting less exposed to it, it's shit and shit sticks.
  • Options
    i think channel 4 news is the most reliable piece of media i know...i just don't like it when they say "police raided X residence and found X amount of explosives" without providing camera evidence of this event happening
  • Options
    They taught us not to in GCSE English, and GCSE English has never put me on a wrong road, so to speak.
  • Options
    Media, politicians and my ex girlfriend are things I've learn't to trust equally.

i.e. not at all!
  • Options
    kermit: i can be your bodyman, push all those nasty media people away from you when you leave court
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    - when I was in Bosnia years ago The Guardian several times got the name of my regiment wrong. But the general reporting which was that we were there was right.
    The Grauniad can't even write its own name properly sometimes NQA... :D
    More recently I went to a conference where a later media report said one of the speakers launched a 'stinging attack' on the Govt. I was sitting there and his rather mild complaints hardly qualified as an attack, never mind a stinging one. The quotes the Guardian used may have been accurate, but the way they described the conference wasn't.
    Yes indeed. This is something that most if not all do on a regular basis.

When a newspaper feels strongly about something (say for the sake of the argument, about explicit sex scenes shown on the BBC) it will likely announce "FURY ABOUT BBC'S GRAPHIC SEX SCENES", giving perhaps the impression that the whole country is in uproar.

It's only in paragraph 35 or so that you learn that the 'fury' in question comes from one or two MPs and an irrelevant decency campaign group supported by a man and his dog, and that most other people couldn't really give a monkey's.

Newspapers have to be taken with a pinch of salt, and it is always good to check papers from both sides of the political spectrum to get a sense of balance.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    When a newspaper feels strongly about something (say for the sake of the argument, about explicit sex scenes shown on the BBC) it will likely announce "FURY ABOUT BBC'S GRAPHIC SEX SCENES", giving perhaps the impression that the whole country is in uproar.

It's only in paragraph 35 or so that you learn that the 'fury' in question comes from one or two MPs and an irrelevant decency campaign group supported by a man and his dog, and that most other people couldn't really give a monkey's.

It's worse than that - if you can remember Brass Eye and 'cake' - where they got a bunch of MPs and celebreties to say how bad a drug it was, despite there being no such thing. Half the rent a quote MPs probably hadn't heard about the BBC Graphic sex scenes before the Mail/Mirror/Sun rang up and asked for a quote.

Though apart from the half dozen people refusing to pay their licence fee in disgust everyone else is tuning into see what the fuss is about.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Ithe BBC Graphic sex scenes

The what?

Sex on the BBC? Never!
  • Options
    i feel very strongly about the media, because it is supposed to inform and provide us news without a slant, and whilst the bbc still maintains the charade of neutrality, objectivity clearly isn't a word in the journalists' vocabulary........the media's purpose is to shape and direct the public's view, and their level of complicity with government is astonishing.........or not, when you consider that both are controlled by elitist interests........this has been going on for over a century though so it's a finely tuned propaganda machine, see my sig below.
  • Options
    the media is definetly slanted, but you are right about America being even worse. Does anyone ever watch fox news? Now it's actually quite funny but it is like a brainwashing exercise, they promised a "relatively fair debate" about the new Supreme court judge, they couldn't even promise a fully fair debate! And lets not forget they largely turned thee 2000 election for Bush!

As for the British a friend and I have started a new website to give news in our view (so i guess no better!) but also to inform the public how things work. It isn't just the actual news, the media have a responsibility to engage. The media always complain about apathy and blame it on the politicians for not connecting to the people but what do they do? They never explain how anything works, so we thought we would! We only launched yesterday so it will take a while but we have started, take a look and let us know what you think, i think a section on the media may be useful come to think of it! It's at www.virtualpolitics.org (Jim said it was ok to post)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Media here is bad. And God, I wathed Fox news once. The US get it bad!

I try to balance multiple media sources out to get hte story underneath. They manage to slant any story at all. ANY. Even basic fact stating missions it seems.
  • Options
    www.virtualpolitics.org

Good effort!

theres no applause icon thingy or you would see it here ---->

Edited to add - do you know how to start a political party or a religion? I always wanted to do one of those. ;)
  • Options
    You find people who agree with you? And form a small group with a name, maybe a website, others join, you hand out propaganda,b leaflets and such shit, piss off some folks, others like it... and there. You're done.

Finding people who agree with you, however... you could have trouble... ;) Only joking, there's usually someone daft enough to beleive anything out there.
  • Options
    Finding people who agree with you, however... you could have trouble... Only joking, there's usually someone daft enough to beleive anything out there.

Errrrm well I was kind of reffering to getting legal recognition of such a thing tbh, mate. Theres all kinds of shit you can pull if you under the flag of religion or politics, tax avoidance etc.

And I'll say it again, you lot are the ones hallucinating, not me.

I already know how to meet the likeminded, thanks.
  • Options
    thankyou for the nice words! tell everyone you know about it!!

i seem to remeber that to become a religion you had to get a certain no of people at the last census to say they were, so loads of people said jedi but i think they banned it! as far as a political party it's a free for all i think! i know yu have to pay £500 to enter a general election and if you get less than 10% of the votes you dont get ti back, but hey its more about the taking part!
  • Options
    Cheers VP.

So, if the political parties have no legal standing, how come they are "running the country"?

Interesting about the religion though. Jedi :D
  • Options
    Aside from the usual arguments, small things like ITV creating its very own 'Target London' logo on the day of the first London bombings ticked me off. What do they think? First: Bombings in London. Second: Create a logo!
  • Options
    Duuuh.

If you can exploit something and hype it up, your viewing ratings will be good, and money comes in. How much attention would you pay if a man at a wooden desk with nothing behind it said "There were bombs in London today." and hte show ended? None.

If they do mega-hype and say lots of stuff, and make their own hypthesis and state rumours, it gets people going.
  • Options
    There is no objective reporting, none, its done by people and they are always subjective.

But, I think by reading/watching a few sources you can most of the time get a relatively moderate idea about the 'facts'. Though whether anyone can ever know the 'truth' turns quickly into a debate about what 'truth' really is.

I have had the misfortune to be interviewed by a major Sunday newspaper and I can definately say that they made up quotes of mine a generally twisted the words I did say.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Duuuh.

If you can exploit something and hype it up, your viewing ratings will be good, and money comes in. How much attention would you pay if a man at a wooden desk with nothing behind it said "There were bombs in London today." and hte show ended? None.

If they do mega-hype and say lots of stuff, and make their own hypthesis and state rumours, it gets people going.

I flicked inbetween Sky News and BBC News 24 on the same day and neither felt the need to produce 'Target London' graphic whilst at the same time producing better coverage IMO.
  • Options
    I think the media are reasonably OK at reporting basic facts for the main stories.

We all know and I am sure most pople do that certain places are biased in certain directions and thus that what they say should be considered more carefully e.g Mial stories about Asylum seekers or Guardian stories about environmental issues etc.....

I don't know any journalists or anything myself or been involved in the media so I don't know whether I would trust them at any personal level........
  • Options
    I think it depends on the paper and the channel.

The thing is that if the right wing media didn't make scapegoats outta say... For example Muslims then people would turn their aggression towards the government for their inequality.
  • Options
    you gotta be smart and rationalize to yourself whether or not you can believe the media. sometimes its right sometimes its wrong but you gotta decide.