Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Time to work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bascially I'm just finishing my first year at 6th form and I don't have a job. I don't find this a major problem; although there are times when I'd like a little extra cash.

I have tried babysitting and do still occasionally babysit- but there's a real lack of kids in my area. I've just re-adverstised myself to the few that there are but so far I've had no offers.

I go to church every Sunday morning leaving the house at 9 and arriving back about 12.30

I use my Saturdays to chill and do homework. I want to apply to Cambridge this year and need to boost one or two grades to ensure that I meet the requirements.

I really don't want to work in a shop, I live in a village and don't have a car so I have to get public transport (bus stop is a good 15min walk) to twon (a 15 min bus jounrey)

I've signed up to several recruitment agencies for temp summer work but no joy yet. Dad's got me 2 days work at his work, but thats all they can offer.

Any suggestions? I'm reluctant to give up my Saturday- its my 'day off' so to speak (i'm heavily involved at church so its not really a personal/social occasion) but usually arrive home from school worn-out!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You will have to choose between church activities and working, I'm afraid.

You have probably left it very late for work in this summer, a lot of the decent jobs will be filled already. Shops are a good starting place, much as you don't want to work there. Few other places will be flexible enough.
    A lot of factories offer some temp jobs over the summer as they are sometimes short of staff and depending on what they manufacture this can be quite a busy time for them, id just suggest looking in the local newspaper, apply for as many jobs as possible, look in job centre and similar places and maybe write letters to all the places you would maybe like to work at, one of them may need a little extra help and offer you a place. I cant see too much of a problem with having to go to church on a sunday as if you are looking for a part-time job, you can work in the evenings after school/college for 2-3 nights a week, a lot of people i know do that, but i dont know how many companies there are in your area looking for this type of employment.
    no offence but i dont think you're trying incredibly hard to get a job..
    work is about sacrafice.. either have saturdays off or go to work and get paid for it - thats the choice that everybody has to make so it really depends on how important having that time off is.
    try call centres for evening work as they will always be looking all year round or you could always try as a shelf stacker as a night shift a couple nights a week at a local supermarket..? it all depends how much you want to work really, there will always be jobs out there but its down to the time you're willing to give up

edit: oh and recruitment agencies - just keep hassling them or they will forget about you. These companies will have lots of people sign on to them everyday so your file will just go down and the new peoples files will be above you so any jobs that come in will be checked against the newer people first...
    icey wrote:
    no offence but i dont think you're trying incredibly hard to get a job
    Sorry, but I think she is trying hard to get a job, it's not like she's looking for full time work. She's studying and I think it's more important to study than to work (but that's just my opinion).

To notebook.. I think you've done all you can, unless you're willing to go to town and work a sunday in a shop (think time and a half on sundays=more cash!!)

So yeah, just carry on asking around, there's always car washing ;) I did this once and made a small fortune, just ask your neighbours if they'd want a car wash and then ask for a small fee ;) hehe.

I'm on JSA, and have to check the job section of the local paper every tues/thurs and there's always lot's of jobs, check out the back pages of your local newspaper - how about cleaning? A lot of schools look for cleaners and it's bloody good money too.

Good luck, Ilora x
    When your looking for a job, find a job that you would like and make sure it doesn't give you back pains or a big butt lol Is babysitting the only work experience you have?
    Bascially babysitting, although I did two weeks WE in a creche and I've done one day's data entry!

I've now taken on a month long voluntary commitement...but still need some form of income...was thinking of re-advertising Babysitting...but I did only just do that and got no response...

:(

I have sent (by E-mail) my CV and personal statement into my local 'Explore learning' centre (based in Sainburies) in response to an add I saw at Connexions...but have had no reply
    yeah. there are a lot more things than babysitting