Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Prozac side effects

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have manic depression. Recently I was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I went to the hospital b/c the medication I was taking Effexor made me constipated. Basically I went so that the doctors could study me more closely and to alternate my meds. I got put on Prozac (again) and as a result I have no sexual desire and never orgasm. During the time I was in the hospital I was great. It's now been 2 mths since I've left and I have been depressed for 3 weeks now. I just can't take these relapses anymore. All my doctor did was increase my Prozac dose to 3 pills daily.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    all drugs have side effects to them, it might be a sacrifice you have to make, though i've never been a fan of giving pills for medication...there's bound to be other ways of treatment

eta:i remember eating loads of effexor once, my mates depressed and he had them, they gave you a slight tingle down your back but thats about it
    With me the Prozac made me really physically ill and it often makes people kinda numb. I remember reading that it can lower sex drive, too. Different people react differently.
    I def agree that diff ppl react in diff ways. But how can som1 bxpected to live with a loss of sexual appetite and orgasm????
    Talk to your psych if it's unbearable, they might be able to try something else.
    I've already tried that and I was perscribed Effexor. Anyway, I would like to kow if any1 has had similar experiences.
    I was on Effexor XL for a month and it made me tired, not hungry, detached and just generally loopy. Then I went on citolpram for a while and it seemed ok then I became fixatedly suicidal. Atm I'm on prozac, I haven't really had any bad side effects, it really does depend on the person talk to your dr or pysch.
    Prozac gave me awful headaches that i've still not got rid of

also i felt sick on them, if i was sort of a 'little bit sick' you know just in your mouth it would burn so much
    Its a little strange that you have manic depression and yet havent been prescribed a mood stabiliser, such as lithium. Firstly it would help even out the highs and lows, and secondly an SSRI anti-depressent can induce manic episodes. But hey im no professional, talk to your psych and if your not happy with what he/she says, see a different one.
    I forgot to mention that I do take Lithiumn as well. Along with Seroquel and Lamictal. Thing is Ive been taking this combo(+Prozac) and have yet 2 see any results. It's been 2 weeks maybe that's not enuff, but I see no evidence of getting better. I feel very tired (although I sleep-pills) and out of it totally. Also my mind doesn't function at all, I feel miserable. I'm having a real tuff time at work. Nothing seems to be going rite. No hope........
    labrini wrote:
    I forgot to mention that I do take Lithiumn as well. Along with Seroquel and Lamictal. Thing is Ive been taking this combo(+Prozac) and have yet 2 see any results. It's been 2 weeks maybe that's not enuff, but I see no evidence of getting better. I feel very tired (although I sleep-pills) and out of it totally. Also my mind doesn't function at all, I feel miserable. I'm having a real tuff time at work. Nothing seems to be going rite. No hope........
    Im sorry to hear your having a rough time with it at the moment.But you need to give it longer than 2 weeks.Prozac takes between 4-6 weeks to kick in properly.In terms of you sexual desires and stuff im afraid i dont know,i found that my sexual drive was heightened when taking prozac...maybe you could talk to your psych or doctor about it?
    Take care.
    I've been taking Prozac for 2 mths now, but just 2 weeks ago the dose was increased. I'm saying that I should b seein some kind of improvement even at this early stage.
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Prozac gave me awful headaches that i've still not got rid of

also i felt sick on them, if i was sort of a 'little bit sick' you know just in your mouth it would burn so much
    That's exactly what happened with me. But then I swelled up like a GM tomato and itched like crazy and came off it
    Has anyone used prozac and not had any side effects?
    i think it works for a lot of people.
    yeah. what ^ said