Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being off work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you're given a sick note from your GP and therefore are not at work, are there any laws or rules about what you should be doing whilst you're off? I mean, what if you're off work because you have two broken arms? You can still get around, and you aren't housebound by the illness, so is it ok to act as if you're on holiday, rather than off sick?

Obviously there are some illnesses that require you to be in bed or housebound (something contagious for example) but others don't. Can your employers say anything if they see you out and about, shopping for example, or in a club on a Friday night.

I don't really want to say too much about why I'm asking, but I am asking for myself, rather than someone else.

Please let me know if this question makes no sense whatsoever! ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think the only rule is that you should actually have the illness/injury you're claiming to have, and that it actually should prevent you from doing your job.

for example, i work at a pc all day, so if i broke both my arms, i'd need time off work. but if i broke both my legs, i could do my job just fine. it depends what's wrong, and what you do.

i think people would only have a problem if you did something that you claimed you couldn't because of what's wrong. say if you said you couldn't work cause you had flu, but then someone saw you out shopping, you'd probably be in bother.
    i think id be screwed doing barwork if i broke anything
    As long as the injury/illness would affect your work, then you are fine - that may mean that you could be out and about.
    are there laws in the first place abotu that stuff?
    are there laws in the first place abotu that stuff?

God you're annoying. Did you sign up and make it your mission to write one sentence in every single flaming thread?