Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

job dilemma.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so for a wee while i've been having a quandary.

i love my job, and i love the environment i work in, and i love the people i work with. great stuff. but my pay is measly, and i'm not challenged at all. i'm itchy for something more demanding and faster-paced and more exciting.

but i am not at all sure about looking for another job. part of me wants to, but another part of me doesn't. i highly doubt i'd find the flexibility of the job i have elsewhere. also at the moment i enjoy going to work, and i get up every morning and don't mind going in. i'd really hate to lose that.

so you're thinking that the answer is to stay where i am and try for a promotion. yeah, well that would be ideal, but i work for a teeny company, and there's nowhere for me to go. there is only one step up from my job, and that's filled, and she's not leaving anytime soon.

not to mention that the kinds of jobs i'd be interested in are highly competitive, and i'm doubtful of my ability to even get an interview. hmmm. and the money thing is grating, and i hate that it has to be about money, but it is, and i am steadily getting poorer.

i'm not sure the point of this thread is to make any decisions, i'm just wondering how other people see the situation.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd agree. But I'd also say, keep an eye on the papers anyway just in case something ideal comes up. For now, if you're happy, unless the money really becomes a struggle, I reckon you're as well to stay in your current job.
    the problem with staying where i am for too long, in this kind of industry, is that people start to wonder if you have any ambition. especially as i'm not progressing anywhere, just sitting in a junior job. at the moment (i've been in this job 10 months) it's not a big deal, but if i make it to 18 months - 2 years without going anywhere, people will start to wonder what the deal is.

not sure.

i think the main thing i'm wondering is if it's better to be on the breadline and adore your job, or like your job ok, but pull in a big wage.
    [.
    I'd say - stay and get some experience, i'd be a bit dubious if i saw that you only had 10 monts in a job - 18 months in general looks loads better on a CV.

Do you have a review or anything where you can say to them that you want more responsibility - if you ask nicely they might give you some of the tasks that the person above you has to do so that you can use it for experience for your next job - if they are a small company with few prospects then they must recognise that your going to move on at some point.

Also keep your eyes out for other jobs and apply for them as they come up - you can do no harm in trying, all the forms you fill in and interviews you go for just give you more experience.

Oh and maybe tell them (or drop strong hints) that your not getting enough money.

I've only ever had one or two jobs where i've dreaded going in in the morning and one wasnt' because the people werent' nice it was because there was nothing to do. I think if your working in your choosen carrear then your likely to be with people who have the same kind of attitude as you to stuff and you should get along well with them.
    I live by the rule that you should never stop looking for a job. If you do then you might miss the perfect one...
    I live by the rule that you should never stop looking for a job. If you do then you might miss the perfect one...

Agreed - there is *always* something better out there...

Just keep your sharking schtum from your work colleagues... ;)
    There is always an opportunity available. I went to the extreme and opened my own business lol. There's a challenge for ya.