Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Makaton

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi people i've started my new job which is working with children with additional needs most of the children use makaton. I picked a little bit today , i wa hoping to learn some more from the net but i cant find any they all sites offering courses can any one help ? or know of a good site thank you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya

I used to be a learning assistant in a special needs school and therefore had to learn Makaton. Maybe you could have a quick word with the schools Speech and Language Therapist as she would be able to give you some sheets with the basic signs on them? Thats how I learnt the majority of it.
    Hey.

The Makaton Vocabulary Development Project won't put their signs and symbols on the internet as they are a charity and want you to pay for a course so they can stay open! This also ensures you learn the correct use as so many people use them wrongly.

Your local library should stock the Makaton signs books and symbols books, if not you can ask them to order them for you. The symbols books just have pictures of the symbols but the signs books have a drawing of somebody doing the sign and an explanation of how to do each one. You could also ask your school to get these for you.

You'll pick it up really quickly though, most signs are easy to remember.

Have fun!

xxx
    a rather slow way of learning it but theres a program on bbc 2 in the mornings called "something special" which teachers makatom to kids (and adults who are watching!)