Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job while at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it manageable?
Was thinking of finding something for just a couple of hours a week, but just to be sure that I have enough for all the extras.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, I would say it is manageable. I had a job for all of my first year, I worked on Sundays in a perfume shop. I got about £30 a week for it, which was a little extra, but it really helped. As long as you manage your time ok, and are pretty realistic about how much you can work so it doesn't interfere with your studies, it should be fine.
    Yes, it is most definately manageable. :)
    managable, and as far as i'm concerned, necessary!
    managable, and as far as i'm concerned, necessary!

Thing is that it is not exactly necessary for me. It's just that I know myself already. And would rather work and have enough for the extras, rather than not buy something I like, as I don't have the means.
    Also I know that my parents will send me money, but I'd rather not want to ask for it.
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Is it manageable?
    Was thinking of finding something for just a couple of hours a week, but just to be sure that I have enough for all the extras.

Definitely. I worked during my whole 3 years at uni..as well as money, it gave me a bit of a life outside of uni. Most unis ask that you do a maximum of 16 hours and some don't let you work (I think Cambridge?) at all.
    I'm working weekends at the mo, it'll probably be a wee bit stressful when I get back in term-time proper but I've been doing it since my exams started and it's pretty ok.
    I think it depends on your course and your other commitments. Personally I don't have time for a job because I'm too busy doing my course, training for my sport, playing my sport, showering after my sport, resting because of an injury I picked up from my sport, and hanging out with my mates. I seem to manage making ends meet though.
    yep. i work 6 hours on a sunday and it brings me £200 a month (what with time and a half). i wouldn't do any work at the weekends anyway!