Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

IVF Paid for.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He does what?

Was referring to the Axis of Eve.

Do you know if the fertility treatment includes ICSI (directly injecting a single sperm into an ovum), or is it just IVF included in NHS treatment?
  • Options
    I've been through many of these arguments before. But I'll repeat as many as I can remember off the tope of my head...

"It's not a matter of life and death" - firstly, by it's very definition, it is just that. It's about creating life. But over and above that there is the mental health of those childless couples to consider, the depression they go through, the impact that has on them/the people around them/employers/employees etc.

If we are going to apply this rule specifically, then if someone was going to commit suicide because they are unable to conceive, would you reconsider funding their IVF treatment?

The other consideration is how do you apply this rule? How many other treatments offered on the NHS are a matter of life and death? Tonsils? Cataracts? Hip replacements? Should we fund them?

Cost vs. Cancer - firstly it is rarely, if ever, a choice between the two. The recent story was a cute piece of PR spin designed to justify a group of PCTs not living up to their duty.

Cancer funding is ringfenced - i.e. not to be spent on anything else - and I would like to think that before making a decision like this, even if it was a choice between the two, that the PCt had ensured that it wasn't going to waste this money on more short term fixes.

As we are talking about cost, perhasp we should look at the "hidden" costs attributable to this treatment. The impact I mentioned earlier on mental health services (plus lost employment etc) should also be considered. Often it would be cheaper to just offer IVF.

Adoption - why is this such a panacea? What makes you think that prospective IVF patient want to adopt? If we apply this rule to these people, why shouldn't we apply it to all potential parents or is discrimination against the childless acceptable? Why would we pay the ante-natal costs of people who find it "easy" to conceive, but won't help those who are unable?

Well, there a start...

people have a right to decent quality of life whether it means hip replacement, psychotherapy whatever

having a child however is not a right, it is a privilidge, and if not having a child affect your mental health, you shouldnt be having a child cause your having it for the wrong reason

im happy to let couples get 1 cycle on NHS personally, but no more, they should fund it themselves after
  • Options
    and if not having a child affect your mental health, you shouldnt be having a child cause your having it for the wrong reason

What are the 'right' reasons to have children? Unless there are some serious abuse issues e.g. using a child as a weapon against a partner, I don't think people need to justify why they want to breed. I know plenty of childfree people who would scream bloody murder at the next person who says, "You'll change your mind!" So I don't see why explanations are in order for those who want children.

I can imagine how someone's mental health would be affected if they were told they were unable to conceive. They're not exactly going to think, "Fiddle-tee-dee, never mind, then." It can be absolutely shattering news, unless we've been there ourselves, we can't possibly know what it's like or what we'd do.

I can imagine that with damage to reproductive systems through chlamydia/PID, and people putting having children on hold, IVF demand will go up in future. It's a tricky business, very expensive, very invasive, and carrries a small chance of working, and I don't have all the answers, but while I believe that having children is not a right, I believe people have a right to try.
  • Options
    having a child however is not a right, it is a privilidge, and if not having a child affect your mental health, you shouldnt be having a child cause your having it for the wrong reason

Not having a child affects the mental health of people.

They want a child for the same reasons as everyone else, that they can't is what causes the problem.
    im happy to let couples get 1 cycle on NHS personally, but no more, they should fund it themselves after

So only wealthy people should have IVF, and then have their ibstetric bills picked up by those who should adopt/be child free?
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Was referring to the Axis of Eve.

Ah, you should see their website :eek: :naughty:
    Do you know if the fertility treatment includes ICSI (directly injecting a single sperm into an ovum), or is it just IVF included in NHS treatment?

We include it, I don't know if others do...
  • Options

Two things.

1. What is the right reason?
    2. Who are you to judge anyway? We want children, if it was found we couldn't conceive then it would hurt us, a lot. It was lead to depression in us both. Are you trying to imply that I am only wanting a child to not be depressed? I so hope you're not.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    I'm beginning to think adoption will be suggested as an alternative to almost everything...

I think every couple who decides they want a child should seriously consider adoption.
  • Options
    I think every couple who decides they want a child should seriously consider adoption.

Why should they seriously consider adoption? Why should they not be allowed to conceive and have their own children without considering taking someone elses in first?

I disagree. Personally, I can't think of anything I would like more than to settle down ad have children-I have wanted to for a long time now, I just realise that now isn't the right time. If I found out I couldn't have children, I would be devastated.
  • Options
    What would bother people more? Not being able to have children, or an ingrown toenail? That's the way I look at it anyway.
  • Options

But they don't, whether it's right or wrong, it doesn't happen. There was a thread a while ago about whether people would consider adoption. A lot of people said 'yes', but when it comes to the crunch, how many of them will actually do something about it? It's so easy for people to say, "But what about the thousands of children out there!!" But the harsh reality is that a lot of the children waiting for homes have committed the crime of growing up, and a lot of people imagine taking home a white, fluffy newborn.

Friends of mine who have adopted have gone through very lengthy uncertain processes. One couple adopted sisters, I think they were 6 and 8 at the time, and the other adopted a little boy who was seriously abused as a baby and toddler - they have to work very closely with social services because those scars remain. I remember each couple saying they wouldn't recommend adoption, because as wonderful as it was for them, it's not for everyone.

If I can, I'd like children of my own, and I don't intend on adopting. People might call me selfish, telling me I'm polluting the planet, they can say whatever they want, it's not their decision to make, and I don't need to justify, explain or apologise for it.
    What would bother people more? Not being able to have children, or an ingrown toenail? That's the way I look at it anyway.

Can you clarify the point you're trying to make please.
  • Options
    Why should they seriously consider adoption? Why should they not be allowed to conceive and have their own children without considering taking someone elses in first?

I didn't infer that they shouldn't be allowed to conceive and have children that are biologically theirs. That's a poor straw man argument that holds relevance to the statement I initially made. What I did say, and I stand by it, that I think it’s something people should put serious thought into.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Can you clarify the point you're trying to make please.

Well someone made the point that the NHS is there to improve the quality of your life and not to give you 'bonuses' if you get what I mean, like having children is a plus but the NHS should be about getting rid of bad things.

But my point (think it's already been brought up by MoK anyway) is that by giving people IVF you are improving their quality of life, probably more so than the amount of improvement to someone who has an ingrown toenail removed, for example.