Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Supervisor trouble

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I've got this little dispute going on at work right now. It involves me and one of my supervisors. On Wednesday morning, I was due in at work but didn't go in because I was ill. I called them up and got through to my manager. He said he'd pass on the message to my supervisors. He did.

Now, when I went back into work on Thursday morning, I bumped into my supervisor, the same one who was on the Wednesday morning shift I missed. It was a few minutes before the shop opened. She proceeded to make a foul-mouthed rant at me saying "How dare you leave us in the shit like that! Who the fuck do you think you are? Fucking leaving us like that, letting just two of us run the whole fucking shop! You're a fucking disgrace! Now get on that fucking till!"

I promptly refused, left the shop and logged a complaint against her with my manager. When I came back into the shop, the supervisor gave me a look of pure hatred! She then walked out for the first time ever. So much for leaving people in the shit, eh? Anyway, it emerged when I went in yesterday afternoon that she's made an ultimatum to the manager. "Either he goes to the other shop or I do." So, I've been moved to another shop for the time being.

Have I actually done anything wrong? Or is my supervisor just being petty?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it a large store (eg nationwide?) if so log a formal complaint with your head office and if you can afford to join a union and inform them. Your supervisors reactions were highly unprofessional and intimidating, she should have been sacked for her behaviour.

Here is the website for USDAW (shop workers union) i strongly suggest that you contact them to get their advice. http://www.usdaw.org.uk/
    You sound all good to me:) It's your supervisor that's sounds like a total arse of a person.
    satehen wrote:
    Is it a large store (eg nationwide?) if so log a formal complaint with your head office and if you can afford to join a union and inform them. Your supervisors reactions were highly unprofessional and intimidating, she should have been sacked for her behaviour.

Here is the website for USDAW (shop workers union) i strongly suggest that you contact them to get their advice. http://www.usdaw.org.uk/
    Yes, it's a large company. One thing I didn't mention earlier is she threatened to sack me. Yet, she doesn't have the power to do this. There are only two people I work with who can do that. It's one of several reasons why I will indeed be logging a formal complaint against her. :)
    She can't sack you (or more likely influence you being sacked) without a valid reason. If you are fired because of her personal vandetta may i suggest a trip to the citizens advice beurea, asking them for info on sueing (sp?) for wrongfull dismisal and bullying in the work place? Try also keeping a diary of everything she says and does that you find intimidating or upsetting and then showing it to head office.
    She can't sack me, full stop. It's not one of the powers she has in her job. My manager and me have a good relationship together, I regard him very highly. I'm going to work in a different shop on the site for a little while, so the diary option won't be necessary - for now.
    Well at least that way you don't have to work under the bitch queen from Hell.
    satehen wrote:
    Well at least that way you don't have to work under the bitch queen from Hell.
    I've had problems with one supervisor before, but that was purely about work. We had disagreements about the way certain tasks were to be done, but that could be dealt with. This though, seems to be about personalities - or rather her being too childish to admit she's made a mistake.
    You get arses like that in shops. I had a couple when I worked for a certain motorway service station chain. As long as you are happy in the other shop, then things should be ok for now-if there are any other interactions, even if you bump into her on site or something make a note of it.
    You get arses like that in shops. I had a couple when I worked for a certain motorway service station chain. As long as you are happy in the other shop, then things should be ok for now-if there are any other interactions, even if you bump into her on site or something make a note of it.
    I've worked in the other shop before. It's where I started. They moved me to another one because of a staffing shortage, so it's going back to where I started, in effect. The supervisor I referred to comes up to that shop from time to time. If she does, I'll keep a stiff upper lip in front of her.
    You get this all the time in retail. All the middle-aged women realise that being a supervisor on a caravan park in the arse end of nowhere is all they will ever achieve, and take it out on humanity. These people also tend to grab onto whatever tiny sliver of power they can get, so that they don't feel quite so pathetic and insecure.
    The supervisor in question is 21 years old, who recently graduated from university.
    That does surprise me.

Though it again explains her attitude.
    Kermit wrote:
    That does surprise me. Though it again explains her attitude.
    Probably. I've discovered, talking to other work colleagues, she's not a woman who likes to have her authority questioned. I think that me going to my manager and not to her made her feel undermined and that she lashed out. And all because she can't bring herself to say sorry. I've never met anyone so petty in my life.
    Get used to them. People are that petty, especially if they think they have power.
    have to agree with Kermit, u do find alot of people who take themselves too seriously after a slight promotion...particularly in retail. Seen it so many times at sainsbury's.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The supervisor in question is 21 years old, who recently graduated from university.

She's a university graduate and she works in a shop? No wonder she's pissed off! My supervisors barely have GCSE's! I could understand being a line manager, but a supervisor?
    That's more than a little cheeky actually, plenty of people are uni-graduates because they wanted to go to uni, not because they wanted a high-flying job. My summer job is a building labourer, and I'm unbelievably over-qualified for it, and even more so when I graduate. I get paid next to nothing, but I do it because I like it.
    I didn't mean to be rude, i'm just saying whats the point of getting a degree if you don't plan to use it?
    For the fun of going to university. I really don't know if I'm going to be an engineer, I'm doing an engineering degree because it's something I enjoy and that I'm good at, but I am most definatly only going to uni because I want to go to uni. Not to get a job out of it.

Seriously, people do social psycology, exactly what are they going to use that degree for? They did it for the fun, because they wanted to.
    When's the fun supposed to start, somewhere between 3 years of gruelling work and a 20,000 word dissertation? I've graduated and i'm still waiting for the fun to start!
    Then you completely missed the point. I deeply apologise for that, but if you didn't have some real fun at uni, you've wasted it.
    Maybe it was just my uni, they were very clique, my next one looks much more fun though! I heard rumours about wild parties etc.. but i've never been to one and neither has anyone i've ever spoken to about uni. Are they an urban myth?
    No, they're not, actually.
    satehen wrote:
    When's the fun supposed to start, somewhere between 3 years of gruelling work and a 20,000 word dissertation?

That's exactly where it starts if you enjoy studying.

There were a lot of wild parties at my uni. I was just never invited.