Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

searching your rooms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi there :wave:
im going up to glasgow college soon, going in to a halls of residence.
just wondering if cleaners/other people come in to your bedroom to check it ramdomly from time to time?
do the bedrooms have lock on the doors?

thanks for any replies. :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bigdavevw wrote:
    just wondering if cleaners/other people come in to your bedroom to check it ramdomly from time to time?

At Durham they'd come in to empty the bin three times a week and clean once a week. They had a list of contraband items to look out for and they could be confiscated or reported if found, though if you had a good relationship with your cleaner then they'd not dob you in. All the rooms had locks to stop your lovely neighbours stealing your lovely laptop.

I expect it's similar but different everywhere.

What are you hiding?
    Glasgow College? Which one?
    Every uni bedroom will have a lock on the door - except possibly if you're sharing then you may not be able to look your part of the room.

As for room inspections - every uni has different regulations. you may be told when you have inspections or they could happen randomly. I doubt they'll be proper seaches though - just looking around to see everythings ok.

Cleaners may also report things wrong with your room, though they might not if it's something minor - it depends how nice your cleaner is.

All this info will be in your accommodation handbook - it might be available on your unis website as well so have a look on the accommodation section.
    ginner wrote:
    At Durham they'd come in to empty the bin three times a week and clean once a week. They had a list of contraband items to look out for and they could be confiscated or reported if found, though if you had a good relationship with your cleaner then they'd not dob you in. All the rooms had locks to stop your lovely neighbours stealing your lovely laptop.

I expect it's similar but different everywhere.

What are you hiding?

In my college at Durham the cleaners came in every weekday to vacuum and empty the bin, as well as clean the sink etc. As far as I was aware the only thing we weren't allowed was candles. Our cleaner was lovely. She particularly like myself and my roomie because we were from the local area and didn't have silly accents ( :p ) and she would stay and chat for ages.

Why are you worried? What do you want to keep that you don't think you will be allowed?! :chin:

Remember that although all doors have locks, people often think it's ok to leave them open when they're just popping to the loo or to visit a neighbour. Wrong. Always lock your doors. Most students are, after all, scum (again, a joke :p)
    BumbleBee wrote:
    In my college at Durham the cleaners came in every weekday to vacuum and empty the bin, as well as clean the sink etc. As far as I was aware the only thing we weren't allowed was candles. Our cleaner was lovely. She particularly like myself and my roomie because we were from the local area and didn't have silly accents ( :p ) and she would stay and chat for ages.

Why are you worried? What do you want to keep that you don't think you will be allowed?! :chin:

Remember that although all doors have locks, people often think it's ok to leave them open when they're just popping to the loo or to visit a neighbour. Wrong. Always lock your doors. Most students are, after all, scum (again, a joke :p)

We weren't allowed any kettles, toasters or mini fridges, something to do with the electrics in the building and the possibility of surges. They'd also have words if you'd gained an expensive looking beer trophy from another college or the city centre.

Besides that I agree entirely.
    In my room in Exeter cleaners came every two weeks to clean my room. And I presume the door would have a lock in order to stop people coming in and stealing things.
    Lucky people! We never had cleaners doing our rooms. We had to do it ourselves. The only time they came in was to check our fire alarms were working, and to check that we didn't have things like candles, fridges, stuff like that in the rooms. And we were warned both times that they did it.
    cleaners never came into our rooms either, except to check the smoke alarms. we had them once a week to do the kitchen and bins. other than that, that was it!
    Kat_B wrote:
    cleaners never came into our rooms either, except to check the smoke alarms. we had them once a week to do the kitchen and bins. other than that, that was it!

In the halls I was in we had a sink in our room which we used to wash and clean our teeth etc. I think that was why the cleaners came in so often.
    bigdavevw wrote:

There'll be cleaners every week. Probably.

In uni halls, we were payed a visit under the pretention of "electrical safety checks" whenever the smell of ganga was wafting about, so if you're doing something like that then just remain vigilant and don't leave stuff lying about.
    goodluck and have fun! college is gonna be a great experience.
    I went to Swansea uni. Our halls were a collection of houses and flats on a purpose built village. We had a supervisor who lived on site and carried out house inspections once a term, all prewarned, no spot checks, and no cleaners...our mess was up to us to clean. Swansea must have been really relaxed because they weren't at all concerned about us having candles, mini fridges etc...wow...cant believe how strict some unis are! :razz:
    I went to Swansea uni.

So do I! Stayed in halls of residence on campus tho. Got bins emptied every weekday, and bathrom cleaned once a week too