Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

second degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
has anybody embarked on a second bachelor's degree right after completing their first?

i'm into the final year of my english literature degree. somewhere along the way i realized it wasn't going to bring me any of the opportunities i wanted. so i am hoping to go to law school when i'm done with it.

if anybody has any advice or similar experiences to share, please do!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I dont think i'd do another degree, i think that is a bit pointless, the point of a degree is not only the subject but the fact that you have been able to study to a high academic standard and have been able to complete what you started etc, if i were you i would aim to complete a masters degree in something a bit more useful and that will hopefully help you.
  • Options
    If you're planning to go to Law school, save yourself the bother of doing a whole other degree and take the Common Professional Examination. That only takes about a year, and could be used to get you into Law school, especially considering knowledge of English Literature/History seems to be advantageous in Law.

Lookie here
  • Options
    if you want to study for a degree in law - do an accelerated course for graduates of other subjects. i think tbh its 100% pointless to study for another 3 years to get an LLB when you could do it in less time. you need to do some researching wrt universities i think. :yes:
  • Options
    You gotta do what you gotta do, at the end of the day. I'm doing a second undergrad because the first time round, I totally neglected/under-achieved with regards to the academic side of things. When I came out of it with a third, and after doing agency work for a year, I decided I wasn't going to get anywhere I wanted to be without going back and making amends. It's not a decision to be taken lightly: it is a huge financial burden, and obviously very time-consuming. Personally, I'd say go for it though. With something like Law, a three-year course (or possibly a two year: because you'll already have completed a Bachelors, they might let you jump straight into the second year) will give you the time to acquire a sound knowledge base. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice, guys. more or less made up my mind and will be applying to law school early next year.

surreptitious jon, what degree did you do before and what are you doing now?
  • Options
    Just to clarify.

Anyone who wishes to become a solicitor has to pass the CPE, or if you want to become a barrister the BVC (Bar vocational course). That is what "law school" is.

IN order to do this you have to have knowledge of the law. Either you can have an LLB or BA that has the mandatory modules in it, or you can do a prelimionary year and get the required legal knowledge. All a qualifying law degree does is exempt you from the first part of the professional exams.

After the CPE/BVC you still need to undergo a trainee contract, though you don't need to have done the CPE/BVC in order to do the required bits of the trainee contract. I'm not qualified by my work counts towards the Law Society required training.
  • Options
    I thought to become a lawyer you'd need an undergraduate degree (eg BA etc..) and a post graduate degree. Is that right? Your going to be in education a long time...