Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nationwide companies - good to work for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm off work poorly today (tummy bug) and my manager has already called me twice, asking me where I've put this, that and the other. My mum answered the phone and passed it to me the first time, and when I spoke to my manager she had a go at me - I've got a feeling something has kicked off at work and she probably rang me in front of everyone else to try to pass the buck onto me (this problem isn't my fault, btw). The second time she rang, my mum refused to let her speak to me and got her apologising profusely, etc etc. It's not the first time I've been called when I've been off sick or on holiday and frankly I'm getting fed up of it. In general, I'm fed up of working where I do - the whole place is in a mess and I'd rather get out now! Which leads me to my question..

In a few years time (and if all goes to plan!), I will be leaving this area and moving to be with my bf in Staffordshire/Leicestershire. So I was thinking, if I were to get a new job in this area now, perhaps it would be a good thing to work for a nationwide company/organisation then moving in a few years time might be easier - does that make any sense?!

I've been looking at the council and local health authority and there are a few jobs I can apply for there, but would anyone suggest anywhere else to look? It's mainly clerical / admin jobs I'm looking at.

Apologies if I'm coming across as thick this afternoon - I can't seem to think straight and I'm sure I've missed something obvious! :( Many thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what kind of nationwide company do you mean? i've worked for tesco for 3 and a half years..i guess they're nationwide! (obviously i wouldn't advise working for them ;)).
    Not that I've got an answer for you, but I assume you mean national company in the sense you could have a job in one location, then be able to transfer to the same job in another location later on?
    Jim V wrote:
    Not that I've got an answer for you, but I assume you mean national company in the sense you could have a job in one location, then be able to transfer to the same job in another location later on?

Yeah, like if you've already worked for the Local Health Authority, you might be more likely to get a similar position in another area because you've already worked in that type of atomosphere before.
    If you're not intending to stay around long-term, then you could do a lot worse than temp, really.
    Yeah, I had been thinking of temping.. Might make a seperate thread about that or do a search. Any personal experiences would be great, folks! :)

At least temping would give me a chance to work in a few different industries and then maybe I'd find something I liked.
    Temping is good because it is easy-come easy-go.

I temped for a while, with both Reed and a local company in Newcastle. I quite enjoyed it, but the money is never as good as in permanent employment.