Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I want a degree...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    maybe an apprenticeship or some relevant work experience would be a good idea...as if you're interested in the world of Fashion and Design then confidence and the ability to network/get along with anyone is essential.
    I've already looked into apprenticeships and the only ones available in my area are Health&Beauty, Accounting, Car Mechanics etc.

Ilora x
    Kermit wrote:
    Go and study or don't, it's not like I care.
    You obviously do, or you wouldn't keep telling me your opinions on the subject. If you don't care, stop replying. Simple really, isn't it?

Ilora x
    Ilora, if you want to do this that badly, then you'll do it. No 'oh but there's this and that'. You'll do it.
    Ilora, if you want to do this that badly, then you'll do it. No 'oh but there's this and that'. You'll do it.
    that pretty much sums it up.
    I know you want a degree and I know you dont want to go to university, but if you want to do your degree with the OU, then youre going to HAVE to choose a different subject, or go to college for the subject you want.
    It might seem unfair, but its just the way it is. Maybe you could find something else youre interested in if you just want the degree, or if you just want to do something with fashion, you could try and do something to do with business studies, and open a shop or market stall???
    Everyone I know even those without art A Level have needed a foundation course before they could apply to do a degree Most were based on portflio regardless of the A Level or not. Take that as your first step beef out your portfolio.
    You obviously do, or you wouldn't keep telling me your opinions on the subject.

YOu asked for advice, and I offered my opinion.

Not quite sure why I bothered, like. I should have guessed that you'd sulk as soon as someone said something you didn't want to hear.
    Everyone I know even those without art A Level have needed a foundation course before they could apply to do a degree Most were based on portflio regardless of the A Level or not. Take that as your first step beef out your portfolio.

Aye even Stella McCartney did a foundation course (same one as my Husband) it didn't matter who her daddy was - you can do it locally, so no big scary university for you - now get off your ass and try and get onto it and maybe it might give you some of the confidence (or backbone) you need.
    Is this relevant?:

Life is hard
    And so am I
    You'd better give me something
    So I don't die
    Novocaine for the soul
    Before I sputter out
    Before I sputter out

Life is white
    And I am black
    Jesus and his lawyer
    Are coming back
    Oh my darling
    Will you be here
    Before I sputter out
    Before I sputter out
    Before I sputter out

Guess who's living here with the great undead
    This paint by numbers life is f***ing with my head, once again

Life is good
    And I feel great
    Cuz mother says I was
    A great mistake
    Novocaine for the soul
    You'd better give me something to fill the hole
    Before I sputter out
    Before I sputter out
    Before I sputter out
    Before I sputter out
    Wyetry wrote:
    Aye even Stella McCartney did a foundation course (same one as my Husband) it didn't matter who her daddy was - you can do it locally, so no big scary university for you - now get off your ass and try and get onto it and maybe it might give you some of the confidence (or backbone) you need.
    Haven't you read my previous posts? I've already said that I applied for the foundation course but got rejected because my portfolio wasn't strong enough because I haven't got A-level Art.

I really wish people could stop with the 'get off your ass' comments because if you actually paid a speck of attention to my posts you'd see that I HAVE GOT OFF MY ASS AND ACTUALLY TRIED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. :banghead:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Haven't you read my previous posts? I've already said that I applied for the foundation course but got rejected because my portfolio wasn't strong enough because I haven't got A-level Art.

I really wish people could stop with the 'get off your ass' comments because if you actually paid a speck of attention to my posts you'd see that I HAVE GOT OFF MY ASS AND ACTUALLY TRIED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. :banghead:

Well, you know what you gotta do - get your A Level Art, which will beef out your portfolio. THEN get your foundation art and THEN either go for your degree/apprentice etc.

It isn't brain surgery. You have said all you need to do in this single post here. We ain't going to provide a miracle solution for someone who ain't got the experience or the relevant qualifications under their belt.
    You don't necessarily need A Level Art to beef out your portfolio.
    I've already said that I applied for the foundation course but got rejected because my portfolio wasn't strong enough

But I note you haven't actually done anything about your portfolio...
    I HAVE GOT OFF MY ASS AND ACTUALLY TRIED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

But you haven't, that's the whole point.

Instead of sorting out your portfolio and re-applying you've whined about how your portfolio wasn't strong enough. First niggle and you've done nowt about it.
    if your portfolio wasn't strong enough then don't just give up, do it again!!
    Maybe you aren't cut out for it?
    Kermit wrote:
    But I note you haven't actually done anything about your portfolio...
    But I have... can't you read? I said earlier I've completed an accredited dressmaking course to 'beef' out my portfolio.

Ilora x
    But I have... can't you read? I said earlier I've completed an accredited dressmaking course to 'beef' out my portfolio.

Ilora x

Don't mind Kermit, he's just so harsh on everyone else because he struggles to accept his own flaws as a human being.

If your portfolio wasnt strong enough, get a better portfolio together. When I started my Btec National diploma in A&D they gave me a place on the basis of my portfolio alone. Actually he said it was on the basis of one picture in my portfolio that he loved. I know its not the same course exactly, but if they said that your portfolio wasnt strong enough, they are giving you an extremely strong clue that they want you to improve your portfolio before they let you onto the course.

Its a journey
    ginner wrote:
    Don't mind Kermit, he's just so harsh on everyone else because he struggles to accept his own flaws as a human being.
    That's extremly untrue actually.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's extremly untrue actually.
    Quite.

I did actually thats why i said you had to work on your portfolio and reapply - I also actually gave some thought to what else you could do in fashion yesterday whilst i was wedding dress shopping with a friend. There are like 3 billion possibilities open to you, you could become a patten cutter (didnt' require a degree last time i looked) or a buyer for a shop - you need a degree but it doesnt' have to be in fashion - or you could go and work in a coture shop or a wedding dress/ ballgown one - ofthen they buy in standard lines and customise them for people and you get to advise people on what would suit them - different colours etc - it all actually looked quite fun - because most styles could be customised and came in loads of different colours.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You need to work on your portfolio. Put the previous "work" out of your mind and start afresh. If that means doing a'level art then do it.

We have all told you what you should and shouldn't do. No-one is just going to hand you a degree. You have been told what work to do so just do it.
    ginner wrote:

I've got plenty of flaws. Attacking arrogant misogynistic homophobes such as one recent alumni of Durham University sat just there *points at ginner* isn't one of them.

I may have several flaws, but hating bisexuals because my gf preferred the company of women isn't one of them.

Ilora: you never mentioned about dressmaking, or if you did I didn't see it. That's a start. Find out from a college what else needs doing to give you a good portfolio. My point still stands that whining about it all will not get you where you want to be. You owe yourself a living, nobody else does.
    Kermit wrote:
    I've got plenty of flaws. Attacking arrogant misogynistic homophobes such as one recent alumni of Durham University sat just there *points at ginner* isn't one of them.

I may have several flaws, but hating bisexuals because my gf preferred the company of women isn't one of them.

Ilora: you never mentioned about dressmaking, or if you did I didn't see it. That's a start. Find out from a college what else needs doing to give you a good portfolio. My point still stands that whining about it all will not get you where you want to be. You owe yourself a living, nobody else does.

Ha ha. Pathetic.
    *cough*how ironic*cough*
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    *cough*how ironic*cough*

Read me

You're not an english student are you?
    ginner wrote:
    Read me

You're not an english student are you?

Don't know why you said that, she has just used the word in its correct context.

Pot and kettle syndrome, as it were.

I stand by my points to both Ilora and yourself. Ilora needs to not give up at every setback if she is going to succeed in fashion. You need to stop being such a homophobic twat.

Anyway, this thread isn't about you. Or my "flaws" (what these are, I don't expect you to know. I used to be depressed, presumably that made me homosexual and therefore a disfunctional loser).
    Kermit wrote:
    Don't know why you said that, she has just used the word in its correct context.

I stand by my points to both Ilora and yourself. Ilora needs to not give up at every setback if she is going to succeed in fashion. You need to stop being such a homophobic twat.

Anyway, this thread isn't about you. Or my "flaws" (what these are, I don't expect you to know. I used to be depressed, presumably that made me homosexual and therefore a disfunctional loser).

I knew you used to be depressed, that's why I'm so nice to you.

Because you loooove the Guardian so much
    I always though ginner was a woman. :crazyeyes
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I always though ginner was a woman. :crazyeyes

No gold star for you!
    Kermit wrote:

I bow to you sir.