Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clearing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Who will be using it this year?

After being rejected from all my desired Scottish institutions, it looks like I'm going to have to cut my loses and apply to England (which means forking out tution fees, oh well). Either that or returning to college to do an Advanced Diploma on top of my HND.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went through clearing last year... got into the place I wanted, so it was pretty good.

Ilora x
    Neil wrote:
    Who will be using it this year?

After being rejected from all my desired Scottish institutions, it looks like I'm going to have to cut my loses and apply to England (which means forking out tution fees, oh well). Either that or returning to college to do an Advanced Diploma on top of my HND.

You have a HND but they still declined you? They should have given you entry onto the last year with a HND. Did they tell you why you were unsuccesful?
    I went through clearing last year... got into the place I wanted, so it was pretty good.

Ilora x
    Where was that and what subject?
    satehen wrote:
    You have a HND but they still declined you? They should have given you entry onto the last year with a HND. Did they tell you why you were unsuccesful?
    Unfortunately in the world of art it takes more than a qualification to get in. I applied second year entry to Dundee University and got a rejection because they felt my work needed developed (even though my college lecturers thought I'd walk it).My third choice route B at Aberdeen claimed they were oversubscribed for second year entry and offered me first which I declined.

It would be nice to stay in Scotland and get the tuition fees paid for but I'm not sitting around waiting my whole life for something which might not even happen.
    Neil wrote:

From what I understood, Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees, even in England. The SAAS apparently pays for you to study in England too.

Not 100 percent sure about that but its what I've heard...
    From what I understood, Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees, even in England. The SAAS apparently pays for you to study in England too.

Not 100 percent sure about that but its what I've heard...
    They pay a portion of the fees based on your parent's income. You may have to pay up to £1,175 yourself. Not sure if I could handle that on top of a student loan.
    satehen wrote:

TBH, any uni can reject you for whatever reason they feel like, that's why I got into Bath (no 3 in the country) and was rejected by S'oton. Not that I wanted to go to either.

People with straight A's in 4/5 A-levels get rejected. Having a qualification is not a ticket to uni.
    Hello

Just random note - may be of relevance to some of you guys....please help

Are any of you waiting for your A-Level/GCSE with baited breath?
    Well how about those who you who have already your results, i.e. last year. was it a good day for you, a bad day, or just what you were expecting?

I am particularly looking for A-level 'flunkers' - did not getting the grades you needed change the direction of your life.

I will be writing a short 300 word cases study on whoever comesforward. Your name can be used photo supplied/not supplied - it's all as you wish guys and will go on our trendy partner website www.sky.com/reach and will look something like this, as a random example: http://rfts.worldarcstudio.com/_mai....php?sec=school

Please come back to me by tomorrow (Tuesday guys) I haven't got much time and thi shas to go up by Friday.....

SO PLEASE HELP!!

Site T-shirt to the highest bidder.

Cheers,

Mazza xx
    Mazza

I did start with 3 A-Levels, History, Biology and English literature. I gave up on history in the second year, i was the only one in my class for the entire first year, so i had one on one tuition, which was some what of an advantage as well as a disadvantage- its very difficult to have debates and challenge ideas, when its just two people. In the second year i was placed in a class with first year A-Level students. We were being taught different things, by the same teacher! The lessons went something like this: 30 didactic teaching whole class, i had reading, then 30 minutes whole class work, while i was taught etc.. I hated the lessons and had very little support.

Biology was just as bad, it started off as a group of 12 students, buy the end of the second year i was the last one. My lecturer often didn't turn up and no one would let me know!

English literature, however was very full and i loved it. However, all my friends had left school and the only people left were the "in" crowd, which i was never part of!

I do feel as though the school let me down though.

I ended up with D's on my A-levels, which somewhat hinderd my educational path, but i didn't let it get me down, so what i couldn't start uni straight away! I did an NNEB (NVQ) in nursery nursing, then onto a HND in early childhood studies, then a BA (Hons) degree in Early Childhood Studies, now finally i'm onto the PGCE.

My grades added an extra 3 years onto my studies, but i'm not bitter. I think in the end i needed the extra experience to get as far as i have and i think i'm going to be a better teacher for it. Low grades on A-Levels do not necessarily mean a kiss of death for your chosen career path!

I hope this is what you are looking for.
    Neil wrote:
    Where was that and what subject?
    London Metropolitan University to study BA (Hons) Jewellery.

Ilora x