Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lying in interviews/generally

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After telling the RAF AFCO fella that I've had one or two migraines I was then told that aircrew, intel and air traffic controlled were out of the question...that's the interesting ones ruled out then! But now I have an interview for officer training for the Navy on Tuesday. How much should I disclose to them? I also have had NHS acupuncture for a bad back (my back looks a bit curved if I don't stand up straight and hurts like a bastard after a long day). Is it worth lying to get in, or at least enough to get me to the admiralty interview?

Also,
I've just finished Uni and want temp work to allow me to save and go travelling somewhere nice...anywhere away from here. How the hell do I lie in a covering letter when applying for temp jobs? I mean how do I come across as genuine when applying to work as an administrator in a frozen food company for example

Cheers guys, not a great lier.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you lie to get a job and are found out then you can be sacked. In the military you could, I guess, even face a court martial and prison.

Of course, you don't *have* to bring up negative points, unless they specifically ask, though any medical condition would, I expect, be obvious when you go through the medical.
    If you do not disclose something about your medical history, which later becomes relevant to your post, you could be sacked - although the military take a different approach.
    When i went to talk to the Navy at a carrears thing I was told the only job open to me was to work in purchasing because i was short sighted - not that i overly wanted to work for them anyway but i mean how many people can there be who are perfectly healthy and have perfect vision and who want to be in the Navy - weird or what.

Err as everyone else says i don't think its worth lying though - you'll just get found out at the medical or later - i'm sure they would check your medical records - though obv if you just randomly had a migrane and didn't tell anyone official then they are never going to find out and ifyou did them develop one at a later date you could always blame it on your employer.

I'm sure noone wants to have a crappy temping job for anything other than the money, so I dont' recon they would expect you to say its your dream job - focus more on what you can offer to them - Depending on what sort of job it is you might even be able to get away with saying i'm doing it to earn money to go away travelling and get experience of the working world.
    New entrants must be of a robust constitution and free from disease or pre-existing injury to meet this challenge. If you do decide to apply and your application is accepted, you will be required to pass a full medical examination. Your application will be rejected if you fail to meet the minimum acceptable medical standard for entry

Please note that your application will be rejected if:
    You suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, or any other bone or joint disorders.
    Surely for your benefit you shouldn't lie. Sure you might want the job. But if you disclose the info, and they rule you out because of it, its for your own interests. You don't want to be hurting your back or whatever..
    Panthro wrote:
    any other bone or joint disorders.[/i]

I had read that before and it's not very specific. It's not like I have scoliosis or anything like that just an undiagnosed "condition". I was supposedly having an x-ray but the appointment is still being processed.

As with the migraine thing I did go to the doctors about 5 years ago after my 2nd ever and was just prescribed ibuprofen, nothing stronger like anti-depressants so the doc must've thought that it was just an acute stress related thing. When I had one recently, I went to the opticians for a check-up as I had been using light and electron microscopes so it sounds like it's a stress and optical thing.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll play it by ear at the interview tomorrow. Cheers
    When i went to talk to the Navy at a carrears thing I was told the only job open to me was to work in purchasing because i was short sighted - not that i overly wanted to work for them anyway but i mean how many people can there be who are perfectly healthy and have perfect vision and who want to be in the Navy - weird or what.

Its not that weird , even in these days of technology good eyesight can be essential to stop you bumping into things or things with explosive bumping into you. and they are getting must enough that they don't need to lower the standards.
    After telling the RAF AFCO fella that I've had one or two migraines I was then told that aircrew, intel and air traffic controlled were out of the question...that's the interesting ones ruled out then! But now I have an interview for officer training for the Navy on Tuesday. How much should I disclose to them? I also have had NHS acupuncture for a bad back (my back looks a bit curved if I don't stand up straight and hurts like a bastard after a long day). Is it worth lying to get in, or at least enough to get me to the admiralty interview?

Cheers guys, not a great lier.

You will at some point have to do a medical and they'll probably find out then.