Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Looking for a new direction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
More and more these days, I'm thinking about changing my job.. At the minute, I work for an Insurance Brokers. I started out as the Receptionist / Typist / Accounts Junior, but due to my colleague leaving to have a baby, I was pushed into the role of "Personal Lines Account Handler". The role should involve Household, Motor and Travel insurances, but so far I've only managed to take on the Household, because I'm still expected to do my old job too and I physically haven't got the time to do the rest of my role. At the minute, it's spread out across the more senior Commercial Account Handlers, who moan like fury about having to do it, but at the same time, no one is willing to work out a way to free up some of my time - this could be done by the Accounts Dept. taking some of my work back (my manager went part-time a fortnight before I started and passed a lot of her work down to my role), but they're completely unwilling to do this.

If I'm honest, I really don't enjoy the role I'm forced into. I don't like handling the insurance side of things at all - I just don't think it makes use of my strengths (organisation, forward thinking) and forces me to do the things I really dislike (talking to Client's, trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I blantantly don't!). I don't have the motivation to learn more - I'm perfectly capable of learning it, I just don't enjoy it.

I have an idea of the job I would like within the company I'm in now, and I can see how it would work (talked it all through with my BF last night), but now it's just a matter of whether I approach my bosses with the idea, or whether I just abandon it altogether and look for a job somewhere else.

My idea would involve recruiting a new member of staff, probably for say 30 hours a week, which is the biggest hurdle, but I can see how it would work out and I've just got to get the point across how much it would benefit the Company. I'm not just doing this to please myself - the Company structure is in absolute chaos at the minute due to several staff members leaving over the past few years and not being replaced fully. I think my idea basically incorporates everything everyone is moaning about but it too afraid (or not bothered about it enough) to speak up and say.

I don't really know what I'm asking here.. I think I'm just venting everything that winding me up (typing it out is theraputic enough!). Does anyone have any comment to make? I can see how I'd come across as a "jumped-up receptionist with ideas (way!) above her station" but I still think it's worth a shot..

Other than that, does anyone know if a website actually exists which details jobs and trainee management schemes which are open to non-graduates? I went to college, but didn't get great results in my A-levels and never wanted to go to uni.. Only now am I seeing the point in a degree! :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading! :) (ETA: Sorry, didn't realise it was *that* long!)

Comments

• Options
    I've worked at a shop now for three months. I'm always suggesting ideas to the bosses. At first, they thought I was being cocky but implemented them anyway. I don't think you've anything to lose by making your suggestions.

As for university, is it really necessary? People coming out of university with thousands of pounds of debt strangling them, with no guarantee of a great job at the end of it.

I don't know of any websites, so I'll let the mods worry about that! :p
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd say mention it to them as well - you really have nothing to loose.

Don't get too hung up about not going to university - only about half of my friends did and as far as i can tell the level of job you have has very little to do with weather you went or not - its all to do with how confident you are and how much you push yourself forward and belive in yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies guys! :)

I've just found out there are some big changes to come (one of the Directors let me in on a few secrets!) so I think I might have to wait a while so see what changes go on around me. I think I might just plant the idea in my managers head of what I'd like to be doing and see where it goes from there. With a bit of luck, I might get to help out with the merger of our Company and another two (have done that kninda thing here before) and might get my ideal job after all! :)