Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Confidence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After the other night of talking with some girls pretty much all night I wanted to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

When I talk to girls it seems like I always take it too far and become friends with them.

The girls I was talking to said it's because I don't have enough confidence in myself to know when another girl likes me. I use to think it was just because I wasn't good HOT looking, but the ones I was talking to told me they'd rather have a guy like me who's not way into himself and stuff.

How can I start to build this confidence or just learn to stay far enough way for them to want me.

Comments

• Options
    I don't try to think if I show them values and such and such. But I have stood by myself before and nothing happened. I kindof get what you're saying, but don't exactly get how to get to what you're suggesting.
  • Options
    the girls your already friends with are too far gone to start an intimate relationship with, but for future reference, they will only ever make the first move if you DONT appear to like them.
    What im thinking is kind of hard to put into words, probably because im not quite sure what im thinking, but more to the point it goes something like: act interested in them, flirt with their friends and pretend you dont actually want any of them, then you can take your pick lol - be sure to put in the move early though, or you'll fall into the old friendship rut - I know that one all too well.

Practice makes perfect though, go for the wounded zebra the first few times, which is always a good confidence builder, then you can start nailing the prime choices...the 'wounded zebras' and 'prime choices' are different for everyone, its up to your personal taste :thumb:
  • Options
    some boring crap or other

What a load of drivel. Just as all women say they don't want a misogynistic chauvinist, you suggest that men start acting like James Bond in order to pull. Err, maybe not, eh?

I think your mates are pretty accurate, tbh. To have a decent thing going you need to talk to girls, and be interested in them, and be yourself around them. But you need to have the confidence to say "sod it", hold them and kiss them. If you arse about waiting for the signal the signal will come ten times, you'll miss it each time, and the girl will start fancying someone else.

I am sick and tired of this myth that "nice guys finish last", and that only bastards pull. It is simply not the case. Being loving and tender and caring is a very good thing to be, it is what cements a relationship. But there does have to be a spark there too, you have to be interesting. If you always say yes it's boring, sycophants are boring, people want a partner not a puppy. Nice guys don't finish last at all- guys whose only trait is nice do.

Being a bastard doesn't work. Being super-confident works in nightclubs, but its amazing how quickly word of being a shit spreads, and having half the women in a nightclub thinking you're a cunt is not good for meeting people.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What a load of drivel. Just as all women say they don't want a misogynistic chauvinist, you suggest that men start acting like James Bond in order to pull. Err, maybe not, eh?

I think your mates are pretty accurate, tbh. To have a decent thing going you need to talk to girls, and be interested in them, and be yourself around them. But you need to have the confidence to say "sod it", hold them and kiss them. If you arse about waiting for the signal the signal will come ten times, you'll miss it each time, and the girl will start fancying someone else.

I am sick and tired of this myth that "nice guys finish last", and that only bastards pull. It is simply not the case. Being loving and tender and caring is a very good thing to be, it is what cements a relationship. But there does have to be a spark there too, you have to be interesting. If you always say yes it's boring, sycophants are boring, people want a partner not a puppy. Nice guys don't finish last at all- guys whose only trait is nice do.

Being a bastard doesn't work. Being super-confident works in nightclubs, but its amazing how quickly word of being a shit spreads, and having half the women in a nightclub thinking you're a cunt is not good for meeting people.

You're talking extremes here, just because someone it outwardly chauvinistic doesn't mean they're a wanker. Being caring and sensitive might be an ok strategy with some birds, especially emotional ones/on the rebound etc, but if you're after proper sorts, or if you're not exactly 'top-drawer' yourself, relying on the attitude he's suggesting is the best idea.

I've been out drinking with people who know how to pull women, models and the like. The chauvinist attitude is the way to do it, if done correctly. Understanding primal psychology is the key to proper success with women.
  • Options
    I think that's fair enough. You have to have a certain cockiness about yourself to get anywhere, and to pull off James Bond you have to have a lot of self-assurance, and very few people do.

Being a tosspot doesn't get you anywhere though. You have to be humble whilst being "alpha male", or whatever wanky term was used.
  • Options
    Sammus what kind of early move do you mean?

Kermit what is tbh?
    And as a lady, what kind of signals and hints should I be looking for?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

you have just said exactly what matt meant imo
  • Options
    Pulling is really hard
  • Options
    any suggestions on effective methods?
  • Options

Sorry to burst your bubble but most nice guys do finish last,

no they don't.
    sorry to join in here but the lack of females forced me!
    surely the point is to be yourself rather than trying to be what you think the girls want. it might mean that it takes longer to 'pull' but when you do it will be because that person likes the real you not the person you are trying to be. corny - but true.
  • Options
  • Options
    Walk right up to the next good looking girl you see in the street, be "super confident" and ask her what's she doing, where she's going, maybe make a joke about how you saw a peice of paper stuck to her foot or say "you look cute but funny when you walk" then start trying to get a little rapport about her, you'll be suprised the reaction you get.

You'd certainly be surprised if I used what I learned at self-defence classes.

I think that approach is very creepy, not only that, but I'd think you were using the 'paper stuck to foot' line in order to distract me so you could try and take my bag or something.
  • Options
    Is James bond a bastard? no

Well, now that you mention it...
    Sorry to burst your bubble but most nice guys do finish last, the "ncie guys" you're probabaly thinking of are actually very alpha male and come across as sensitive and caring WHEN THEY NEED TO.

Well I'm very flattered to be considered alpha male;)

I met my wife by being caring and sensitive. I kept her by being caring and sensitive.

The problem is not "niceness" is it being boring. It depends what you mean by "alpha male" really, if you consider anyone who will say no sometimes and will be funny as "alpha male" then there is a lot of us. Basically I think you keep people by being caring and kind, but also by not being a doormat.
    Walk right up to the next good looking girl you see in the street, be "super confident" and ask her what's she doing, where she's going, maybe make a joke about how you saw a peice of paper stuck to her foot or say "you look cute but funny when you walk" then start trying to get a little rapport about her, you'll be suprised the reaction you get.

I doubt I would. I expect to get kneed in the balls. My wife would do that to any bloke who does that:D
  • Options
    To be honest ladies, im with Matt. I've done a wee bit research on the internet, and many a time i've read more a less what Matt described. You as women, may not feel as though this is the right thing for a man to do and you cant see why he shoud do this, but i honestly believe that is because you arnt the men who are doing the impressing, therefore you just expect a man to be himself and if you like him you like him, if you dont you dont. but if a man is to get anywhere and try with a women he likes he has to be someone who isn't mr average to you, he has to be above the rest who are attracted to you in order for you to want him. and this is were 'wussies' AKA nice guys, are cut short, because even though they are probably the ones who are likely to treat the women right, always be there for her, buy her things, take her out etc etc the women see that as a sign of weakness. A women wants a man who is a man, stong and masculine, but can show he can care when needed, not a man who shows he cares and is nicey nicey 24/7 in order to hope the girl will fall madly inlove with him, and strong when needed.

I can honestly imagine from a womens point of view that, they would all disagree and say " no, we are not like that! " and i can see why you would feel as though thats not the truth, but its more complex, for a man, what he has to do to 'pull', for him to be higher then the rest of the men on your list or who are knockin about.he'll feel as though your so gorgeous he'll want you and that if he doesnt impress then you will just swan off and easily pick up some other guy.

im not saying this is the whole story, because i know its not and im no physcologist, but i am a lad, and im going through things like this, so please try and understand where me and matt have been comming from, its a complex system to be honest, no one will really ever get there head round it i imagine.
  • Options
    matt, have a spade, i sense you have a hole to start digging
  • Options
    nonilley wrote:
    When I talk to girls it seems like I always take it too far and become friends with them.
    Huh? Isn't that meant to be a good thing?
    The girls I was talking to said it's because I don't have enough confidence in myself to know when another girl likes me.
    And how exactly is a man meant to "know"? We're not telepathic, contrary to what some women seem to think!
    How can I start to build this confidence or just learn to stay far enough way for them to want me?
    Learn to stay far enough... you've completely lost me here. You're trying to get to know them right? In that case, get closer to them, let them know about you, ask a lot about them... you want women to want you, you'll have to let them get to know you too, surely?
    spanner wrote:
    no they don't. (to the suggestion that nice guys finish last) sorry to join in here but the lack of females forced me!
    :flirt:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Huh? Isn't that meant to be a good thing?

No, it's not a good thing.

Become too much of a friend and you stop being a sexual being.
    And how exactly is a man meant to "know"? We're not telepathic

It's normally pretty obvious. If you want to believe it, and have the confidence to do something about it, then you can't not notice.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, it's not a good thing. Become too much of a friend and you stop being a sexual being.
    I was thinking more about how some people see their partners as lovers and friends when I posted this. In retrospect, I might have been thinking he wanted a less formal relationship than this. Maybe as a married man, your perspective on this is different to mine.
  • Options
    Women do like nice guys just not guys they can walk over they dont like wimps.

There is something in the bastards get the girls, but of course its not as simple as that women, like confident men and usually they like or go through a long stage of liking bad boys, so that combination rather than a "bastard" is more sucessfull, Alpha Beta male this is generally bollox, its the only times Iv heard people mention this is women deciding whos alpha and beta and theres no such thing realy it depends on the situation, and their current status, rather than their inaliable superoirity.

I think some ones been reeding a "how to get laid" book, I read a few (downloaded free only) and theres a couple of nuggets of good advice there but its in a lot of shit.

But just talking nicely friendly to women this is all well in say a work or professional conversation, you want to be a bit racy in a night club and flirty, ask about them whilst coming with a funny lines or a bit of flirtation, if its not working ask them to dance or tell them their gorgeous then if you get a fuck off at least you dont have yto wast any more time there.
  • Options
    Alpha male and other things, it's not so much about "knowing what to do", all these lines and stuff is all crap. What it's about it's building a STATE OF MIND that is attractive to women. There are many attractive qualities to an alpha male, an alpha male is mainly every man that women idolize, they all show the qualities.

I've read a few ebooks and log on forums reguarly for it reguarly. A lot of it is crap, you have to puyt it into practice and decide for yourself with your own experience, that's how i've confirmed to myself it's true and works, even if a lot of it is sexist.

I said women use sex to try and control a man so he stays loyal. It's also true that men will buy a girl things(provide) so he can get sex. It's shallow, but it's also instinctive. (this is also somehting a beta male does, alphas dont NEED to provide for sex although they do protect)

I think thats an over simplication and youve been reading too much of such books, different women like different things the only way to be an "alpha male" is to be a leader even of a social group or like Bill Clinton was president but take bill clinton out of the presedency and put him on a ranch with tough cowboys he ceases to be the alpha male. So theres not an Alpha male as such that women like in that way its status, being the best DJ in a club or of course a priemership footbller this is what gets them going, or even if everyone knows you and has good things to say ,Status . I would look at being confident and at ease rather than "Alpha" is the way to go try a bad boy attitude its easier to aquire than a mythic Alpha male status but uyouve got to be good and carefull with that like being a tough guy.
  • Options
    So I take Eminem to a party in london before he's famous and the girls there are like "who's that little yankie weirdo, I dont fancy him" take him threre after he's famous and there all like "oh my god its Eminem he is so cool" and join a que to suck his cock,
    Im actually thinking of a specific party I went to a few years ago with a load of bitchy women who were quite fit and full of them selves , could have been the same eminem before none of them would have gone with him after he famous they all would straight away, anybody going to tell me thats not true,
    He hasnt suddenly become alpha whats happened is their perception of him has changed see.
  • Options
    - he's hard to please, unemotional, slighty serious but you can't really tell.
    - gives laughs as rewards, he doesn't laugh to look better or "in".
    - talks slowly and directly, doesnt ask for anything an isn't afraid that others don't like him, but he is likeable.
    - Being comfortable with really attractive girls, they don't phase him. I imagine him to be outgoing, direct, unphased, risk taker, motivated, genuine.
    - He doesn't ask for permission and doesn't give options, he leads. He will always be in a sexual state, an aura surrounds his presence, he is a MAN and women can tell by his body language and alpha male attitude.
    Sounds like a rude, cantankerous boring git of a man.
  • Options
    A man who is famous and has lots of female attention will be confident, and will get more female attention. And of course you get starfuckers, that's not really a point.

I don't like the terminology Matt is using, and I think he is being far far too simplistic, but in order to pull you need to be confident. I don't think confidence has to come in James Bond packaging, but if you piss about waiting to be asked for a kiss you'll be waiting a very very long time.

To get a good relationship you need to be friends I think. But if you are too friendly before you move the relationship to the sexual level then it won't happen, you become like a brother not a lover. The key is the balance.
  • Options
    ok i'll expand on it, I said the qualities of an alpha male. An alpha male the "man" in a sense, he's hard to please, unemotional, slighty serious but you can't really tell. Gives laughs as rewards, he doesn't laugh to look better or "in". Talks slowly and directly, doesnt ask for anything an isn't afraid that others don't like him, but he is likeable. Always wanted/busy and ends conversations tc first, people dont end them for him. Being comfortable with really attractive girls, they don't phase him. I imagine him to be outgoing, direct, unphased, risk taker, motivated, genuine. He doesn't ask for permission and doesn't give options, he leads. He will always be in a sexual state, an aura surrounds his presence, he is a MAN and women can tell by his body language and alpha male attitude.

A man with that state of mind will naturally be attractive to girls, regardless of what he says.

Thats all good if yopuve got lots of people round you trying to talk to you and they all think their cool, the only people who have this have to have more than their personality, ie being the hardest the best at something (best player on a football team) a mafia member.
    If you try and act like "Always wanted/busy and ends conversations tc first" if its just you and a mate in a club how are you going to pull that off what !
    "an aura surrounds his presence" oh fuck off , how do you get an aura thats such bollox, an aura surrounds bill clinton cause he used to be president you go to a room with him there and theres one of the most famous formally most powerfull man in the world, now thats a fucking aura, not his personality, you cant acuire an aura.
    "he's hard to please, unemotional" Ummmmm

Try my attitude for pulling much better,

He's friendly, funny starts conversations when appropiate and knows whan to end them, acts a bit naughty bit of a lad but not too silly,
    Is confident will go up to a girl and talk to her ask her to dance, is also a bit of a tough guy, a bit dangerous and mysterious.

you go with your attitude unless your famous then yould end up acting a bit of a arogent twat
  • Options
    Yeah you're right it's too smiple, these are jsut alpha male qualities, there's also the nice guy side that comes into account, but that's not alpha, it's all about building that state of mind that is very attractive to women.

But that is exactly why all that drivel about "alpha male" is exactly that: drivel.

I haven't changed that much since I was 16. But I have confidence now because I'm married, I don't care if people find me attractive or not. So I keep getting eyed up more. Guess that's life.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But that is exactly why all that drivel about "alpha male" is exactly that: drivel.

I haven't changed that much since I was 16. But I have confidence now because I'm married, I don't care if people find me attractive or not. So I keep getting eyed up more. Guess that's life.

Yeah I suspose thats about it,

"Freedom flows it comes and it goes"
  • Options
    sorry to interupt but as a woman i can confirm that actually sometimes we quite like a bloke to make friends with us first!! It show u don't just want to get in our pants! U obviously have the confidence to chat to women which is great and u will know when it's meant to go further so don't worry about it, be yourself! The best relationshiops are built on friendship anyway! xx
  • Options
    they try to make that connection without being attractive in their body language and attitude and that's when girls put them in the "friend" catagory.

You don't half talk crap.
  • Options
    Fair comment

In a nice way.
    but I understand more about what people subconciously communicate when they talk.

Nah, you just think you do.

As always, it depends what exactly you mean. If you always back away from sexual contact and flirting then you won't get anywhere, either she won't notice you sexually or she'll get bored of waiting.

But "attractive body language" is a nonsense term. It means precisely squat.