Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bleaching dyed hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
I have light brownish hair and wanna dye it dark brown or black maybe?
If i were to dye it and then use bleach on part of it would it go green or some colour like that?!?
Thanks
Oh... any opinions on the hair colour would be good :p
(and i'm a guy!)

Comments

• Options
    How long is your hair?

Why do you want to bleach it after you have dyed it?

And we cant really comment on your colour choices because different colours suit different faces and skin tones so u may want to post a pic of your face :)
  • Options
    Your hair shouldn't go green no.
    Erm have you seen those hair dyes that loreal make. They have a base colour that you put all over your head and then high-lights ('bleach') which you put in over that, you could invest in one of them because thats the same idea.

Also black is a bad idea if your going to dye over it, i'd stick with a very dark brown because it's less harsh and doesn't stain your hair as much.
  • Options
    Hmm so if I grow my hair which is now very short blue-black it will be difficult to get the black out of the ends won't it? I sort of figured as much :(
  • Options
    dark hair dye + bleach = ginger. bright, bright ginger. please learn from my mistakes.

black hair dye + bleach = black hair, bright blonde roots. ditto the mistakes bit.

black hair dye + bleach + bleach + bleach = hair falls out.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Also black is a bad idea if your going to dye over it, i'd stick with a very dark brown because it's less harsh and doesn't stain your hair as much.
    Not entirely true. I used to dye my hair dark brown, because I thought it wouldn't 'stick around' as much as black, but it has. I'm having to grow out the whole lot of dark brown because no hairdresser will touch it while it's still dyed.
    Ilora x
  • Options
    hey, thanks everyone
    beans wrote:
    Erm have you seen those hair dyes that loreal make. They have a base colour that you put all over your head and then high-lights ('bleach') which you put in over that, you could invest in one of them because thats the same idea.

I'm sure i saw what i think you mean on hthe boots site earlier but cant find it!

Is it similar to this??
    http://www.boots.com/brandtreatment/product_details_brand_treatment.jsp?productid=1042407&classificationid=1033279

Oh.. and wwhat kind of permanentness is best??

:banghead:
  • Options
    I wouldnt bleach your hair by yourself. Straw like consistancy is icky :(
  • Options
    I do my own hair, and it doesn't feel like straw at all :no:
  • Options
    beans wrote:

I WOULD NOT reccomend those things... the base colours tend to be quite nice, but the highlights sometimes go funny colours and ruin the whole effort.... take ti from several experiences from me and my mates with them... I've taken to buying them just for the pretty base colours!

But, I can't say it definetly don't work... if you're willing to try it then they're pretty easy to use! Messy though.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I WOULD NOT reccomend those things... the base colours tend to be quite nice, but the highlights sometimes go funny colours and ruin the whole effort.... take ti from several experiences from me and my mates with them... I've taken to buying them just for the pretty base colours!

When i did my friends hair with them i thought it turned out quite well! But i suppose everyones different and what not.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    When i did my friends hair with them i thought it turned out quite well! But i suppose everyones different and what not.

they worked fabulously on my hair too. in fact, everyone i know who tried them really liked them.

the only thing i found was that the highlighting wand was a little hard to control, so in future i'll probably rock out my highlighting cap (mmm, old person-tastic).
  • Options
    If your doing it ur self i reli wuldnt, every1's hair is different and reacts different to the colour u put on it, me and my mate put the exact same hair colour on our hair our selves, hers has gone a ginger colour now, and myn is still lyk the dark colour it was, the best thing to do is get it dun at the hair dressers, as it is quite likely to go rong, i have dyed my hair so many times and only been happy wiv one result so far, and that was my latest colour!!
  • Options
    talk to a hairdresser, sometimes they will take a sample of your hair beforehand and test it for you if you are so concerned