Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Olé! Spain legalises gay marriages and adoptions

This was being kind of debated on another thread already but this is such a historic event it deserves a thread of its own.
Spanish MPs approve gay marriages

Spain's lower house of parliament has voted in favour of allowing gay couples to marry and adopt children.
The controversial decision overrules last week's rejection of the bill by the upper house, the Senate.

The bill will become law in a month's time, making Spain Europe's third nation after the Netherlands and Belgium to allow same sex marriages.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4636133.stm

Viva Zapatero! :D

And a big 'Fuck You!' to the odious Spanish Catholic Church.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    I understand similar legislation just passed in Canada as well.
  • Options
    Yes it did. Good news all around :)
  • Options
    Its a sad day when a same-sex liaison is put on a par with the sanctity of hetrosexual marriage, the legal union of a man and a woman as husband and wife. No wonder society is disintergrating morally.
  • Options
    No wonder society is disintergrating morally.

Yep, must be the fault of teh gayes. Just wondering when this Golden Age happened? :chin:
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    Its a sad day when a same-sex liaison is put on a par with the sanctity of hetrosexual marriage, the legal union of a man and a woman as husband and wife. No wonder society is disintergrating morally.
    First off, "heterosexual marriage" is not an institution exclusive of the Church (of any organised religion), and there is no "sanctity" about it.

I've been reading the reactions of the fundies and the Spanish Catholic Church, and incredibly it has not got their thick bigoted heads yet that they have no right to try to prevent same-sex marriages from taking place in civil ceremonies. Let them ban Catholic gay weddings if they want. Nothing else.

And what is this "moral disintegration" you speak of?
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:

He's on a wind up, don't rise to it!
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:

*yawn*
  • Options
    I'm not anti-gay or even against a same-sexceremony if thats what they want, but I think its dishonest to equate this to the sanctity of a marriage between a man and a woman, a natural liaison that often produces children, the future of the human race.
  • Options
    So a heterosexual marriage that produced no children would incur your ire too?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    So a heterosexual marriage that produced no children would incur your ire too?

This is the same guy whose being debating whether or not to get it on with his Auntie in the relationship forum. I'd ignore him.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    No wonder society is disintergrating morally.

Hehe, you're funny.

So if morality was in decline before this legislation, how can it be the fault of this legislation?
  • Options
    I disagree with gay marriages taking place within say... The Catholic church or some other denominations that follow the Bible more closely because it goes against their religion and is disrespectful to them... But then at the same time I'm against people who don't attend church getting married in a church too.

However, as far as registry offices are concerned why the hell not? Give them all the rights of a heterosexual couple too, it's only fair.

As for adoption I'm unsure. Of course same sex couples are just as capable of bringing up children (I believe and judging by the excellent manners and grooming of a lot of gay guys I've met, they might bring up very presentable children), but wouldn't they get bullied in school?
  • Options
    I disagree with gay marriages taking place within say... The Catholic church or some other denominations that follow the Bible more closely
    So you're happy with those people with multiple wives - as they're following the bible more closely?
  • Options
    I disagree with gay marriages taking place within say... The Catholic church or some other denominations that follow the Bible more closely because it goes against their religion and is disrespectful to them... But then at the same time I'm against people who don't attend church getting married in a church too.

religious institutes should marry who they choose

any couple should be able to get a civil service though :)
  • Options
    religious institutes should marry who they choose

any couple should be able to get a civil service though :)
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Personally I don't see the point of civil weddings - you might as well save the money and just live together.

Doesn't do me any harm though, so let them get on with it.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Personally I don't see the point of civil weddings - you might as well save the money and just live together.
    Well it's a question of personal beliefs innit? Countless people are not religious and for them a church wedding is as meaningless as a civil one would be for you.

Personally I'm not attracted one bit to the concept of marriage, be religious or civil, but whatever floats people's boats...
  • Options
    So you're happy with those people with multiple wives - as they're following the bible more closely?
    The church is an institution built on what was once a cult and that has grown, sprouted more baby cults that have grown in to their own churches and so on... A part of their religion is following the Bible and a part of the Bible, despite whether you think it's the true word of a sentient God claims the act of homosexuality is a sin... Or more the sex part is.

Whether you agree with the Bible or not, you can't force it upon the church that gay couples should get married there, it's basically oppressing their religion. It is double standards so to speak to even claim to be a part of a liberal country if we start to force churches in to marrying homosexual couples.

And where in the Bible does it say one is allowed multiple wives?
  • Options
    congratulations spain :yippe: