Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Charitable Status

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just got my daily email from Scotsman.com with all todays news and there happens to be yet another article questioning the charitable status of private schools. clicky Maybe it's because I'm part of the private sector, but I see no problem with these schools so long as they actually do contribute to charity work and try to help those who're less well off (which my school does).

But judging from the medias reaction to this new bill , I'm one of the few who feels this way. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    charitable trust status thingy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3701161.stm

#this story is about a year and a bit old, i dont have a problem with them having such status, but as the story i have posted suggests, they only get the status if they deserve it, fair enough they might lose it and be worse off than before, but if they dont deserve it, then they shouldnt have it
  • Options
    Schools should not be able to claim the tax dodges that come from having charitable status.

Having charitable status and being a charity are two entirely separate things. Charitable status exempts you from many aspects of taxation, and public schools should not be exempt any more.

Schooling according to finances is morally abhorrent anyway.
  • Options
    private schools will forever baffle me. it may just be my area, but me and my best friend from primary school went our seperate ways at the end of year 6, her to our local private school. as she started to look down on me because shewas getting "a better education", i started to ignore her more and more, and got to know the 1,119 people i was at my local high school with.... while she played with the 20 odd people she had any access to for the whole 5 years.

last i heard, she was struggling in school (she has no learning disabilities or anything before you think im just mean! :)) and is probably going to have to resit her 8 gcses when we get the results back. im not the brightest spark in the box, but im predicted 12 A-C grades this august.

and to think, all through primary school right til the very end, we were seen as academically equal......

not jsut me this has happened to either. it might not be anywhere else, just our crappy schools, but i sure as hell know my kids will NEVER go to private school :)
  • Options
    Personally I think everybody should have the same education reguardless of their parents income.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

So the next time the men/women doing business as "your local council" sends you a bill(and a large proportion of that includes a provision for "schooling") your morals will prompt you to tell them "Go fuck yourself" ?

seeker
  • Options
    ???
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ???

Are you questioning the "moral stance" you made earlier ?

seeker
  • Options
    NO, I'm trying deperately to make head or tail of the tripe you've just come out with.

And I can't.
  • Options
    Why the hostility to private schools?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    NO, I'm trying deperately to make head or tail of the tripe you've just come out with.

And I can't.

Ok let`s sift through the "tripe" slowly.

You said

"Is" suggests a statement of fact but that`s by the by,I guess,as facts don`t seem to be important.

Anyway,you`ve made your "moral" stance so I asked you what you would do when you are presented with your next council tax bill.From memory,the last time I looked at one,there was a provision in the bill for "schooling".As you think that schooling should have nothing to do with finances,would you uphold your strong moral stance with the "council" and ignore the bill on "moral grounds" ?

seeker
  • Options
    I think Blagsta is right about seeker. Makes less sense than Yoda.

I am completely against private schooling because I believe in a meritocracy. All people should have the same opportunities.
  • Options
    So everyone should have access to a sub-standard education?
  • Options
    I am completely against private schooling because I believe in a meritocracy.

Hmm..... who decides what's of merit?

Annnnnd to merit to whom and how?
    All people should have the same opportunities.

Nice sentiment.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think Blagsta is right about seeker. Makes less sense than Yoda.

I am completely against private schooling because I believe in a meritocracy. All people should have the same opportunities.

That first sentence makes little sense to me so I would welcome an explanation.

Maybe you are the kind of person who doesn`t like "awkward" questions.I`ve found that as far back as I can remember most of the people I`ve met have exhibited that trait.No more so than in "school".I got that "don`t ask questions" feeling all the time. Eh,perhaps it`s me :D Maybe the species homo sapiens isn`t meant to ask questions.

I welcome questions,both from within and externally.I find it IS the basis of my education.

BTW you still ain`t directly answered my question,(I think ?).Are you "completely against private schooling" unless the private corporation has "council" in it`s trading name?

seeker
  • Options
    Eh,perhaps it`s me

That would be my theory...
  • Options

Logic ain't really your strong point is it?
  • Options
    A council isn't a private and exclusive company, last time I checked. But don't let that get in the way of anything, eh?

Matadore will suprise us all and say something astutue one day.
  • Options
    Everyone should have access to the same education. If we want to get ahead we can study in out of school hours too.

I don't see how this country can progress truelly without people starting at the same place and working their way up.
  • Options
    Personally I think everybody should have the same education reguardless of their parents income.

I think everyone should have the same opportunity. I think people who don['t really care shouldn't receive education when they fail to those who do care and do well. I'm not tlaking general education here, but in my experience in a level there are those that are there because they want to do well and go to uni - these are pushing themselves and achieving A-D grades, and there are some who are there who cant be arsed and getting Us in half their subjects. I don't mean to cause offense to anyone who has done so and tried hard, just I know a lot of the people who don't do very well is because they don't try.

BTW, Leicester schools are doing fantastically well (watch test the nation, and see how Leicester does on the IQ test), and they receive the least funding in the entire UK, so I don't think education is just about money.
  • Options
    You can't kick somebody out of education though... It's unfair really. What if one day they want to come back?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A council isn't a private and exclusive company, last time I checked. But don't let that get in the way of anything, eh?

Sticking to facts ? Now I feel that would be the best policy.Let`s give it a go.I`ll start with a couple of easy questions first.They should be a doddle `cos you are very assertive with this point.

"Last time I checked"?

When was that then ? And what was the check that you performed ?Remember though........stick to facts.

I await your (hopefully for me) educating reply.

seeker
  • Options

An education system which educates everyone in the same way is doomed to fail. Just look at the Comprehensive experiment - its been a dysmal failure and even the Labour party now realises that one size fits all education doesnt work.

Besides, parents should have the right to pay for their children to be educated.
  • Options
    Finally - someone who agrees with me! :p

I see no problem in Private Education if parents wish to provide the best for their children and can afford to do so. And even if they can't, there are plenty of bursaries flying around these days which many private institutions offer as a way of validating their charitable status in addition to their numerous acts of charity and good will.

At the end of the day, if the best you can do for your child is state education, that's great cos that's the best you can do. But I think it's a sin not to provide the best of everything you can for your offspring, to give them the best start possible in life.
  • Options
    I believe in survival of the fittest on an academic level... Let everybody have the same start so the most intelligent get through to the top, not the ones with rich parents. That way their brain is working them up and not their wallet.
  • Options
    So you would actually forcefully close down all private schools? You would take the decision of where to educate their children away from parents?

How very facist of you.
  • Options
    So you would actually forcefully close down all private schools? You would take the decision of where to educate their children away from parents?

How very facist of you.
    Yup, I would. If we want a more intelligent society then we need to start over and let everyone work their way up. I've met private school kids who wouldn't last a minute in the outside world, although some are fine.

I think it'd do society good.
  • Options
    So you would actually forcefully close down all private schools?

Yep, got it in one.

A system which bases opportunity on the bank balance of the parent is grossly unfair and morally abhorrent.

If Blair and his chums had to send their kids to a state school maybe the state system would be looked after a bit better.

Private schooling is completely morally unjustifiable as a concept. All it does is reward money not ability.
  • Options
    Blair does send his children to state schools. They may be selective, but they're not private. In fact the only ones who I can think of off-hand who sent their kids to private school was Diana Abbot.
  • Options
    It appears to me that even the easy questions turn out to be awkward.I`ll not presume though as the factual evidence may still be under consideration

Kermit wrote:
    Private schooling is completely morally unjustifiable as a concept.

I`ll assume that by "private schooling" you mean any "schooling" that is not provided by a corporation with "council" in their trading name.

It seems odd that you find this "completely morally unjustifiable" but you welcome(?) the service being provided by men/women whose modus operandi is a violent/coercive one. :eek: :shocking: :eek: :shocking:

So you would actually forcefully close down all private schools?
    Kermit wrote:
    Yep, got it in one.

It looks like you have been "schooled" in the notion that violence is the way to accomplish your goals.Should I blame your "teachers" ? ;)

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    It appears to me that even the easy questions turn out to be awkward.I`ll not presume though as the factual evidence may still be under consideration

I`ll assume that by "private schooling" you mean any "schooling" that is not provided by a corporation with "council" in their trading name.

It seems odd that you find this "completely morally unjustifiable" but you welcome(?) the service being provided by men/women whose modus operandi is a violent/coercive one. :eek: :shocking: :eek: :shocking:

It looks like you have been "schooled" in the notion that violence is the way to accomplish your goals.Should I blame your "teachers" ? ;)

seeker

You need help.