Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Karen Millen...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, after lots of anxiety and panicking, I'm (hopefully) going to apply for a part time job in Karen Millen. But, I have no previous retail experience. I have a huge passion for fashion and am studying dressmaking/fashion design.

Do you think this would be enough? (I have GCSE'S and A Levels) I'm not a confident person at all, but would love to work for someone like Karen Millen... do you think they'd employ someone with no retail experience?

Ilora x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the employer gets a strong positive vibe from you about your intelligence in a field they require, in this case fashion etc, then you can be as desirable as a person who worked in retail at a flower shop, if not more. Its one thing to have retail experience, but another to have an interest in the job itself. If that made sense :p
    Yeah, that made complete sense. I just don't know if I'm confident enough in an interview to be enthusiastic enough to get the job. (I'm a very shy person)
    I know that Nicky Clarke (hairdresser) got his first job purely on natural talent and not on how many exams he'd passed (in his case, none, he dropped out of school before 16!).

Meh, I'm just all low self esteemish. I feel that I'm not 'good enough' to work for a place like Karen Millen :(
    I usually chicken out of applying anywhere. But this time, something's gotta change damnit. :yes: I can't live my life being a hermit and being on the dole. I wanna be rich damnit. :yes:

Ilora x
    God almighty, just apply already. How in hell should we know if they will take you on or not?
    end of the day someone has to employ you with your first job, might as well be them or the next one, go for it
    Wot he said - you might as well apply - otherwise you can sit around at home forever not applying for jobs just because you dont' think you will get them.

Most people don't get the first job they apply for.
    i don't think your passion for dressmaking/fashion design is really going to make much of a difference. you're not going to be making the clothes or anything, just selling them.
    if its a retail posistion that your going for then make sure you come acros as a really confident and bubbly person. think about your past customer service experiances and if you get an interview you can just say how you will provide good customer service!
    good luck!
    and apply for it!
    sweet_gal wrote:
    think about your past customer service experiances and if you get an interview you can just say how you will provide good customer service

but she's not had any....
    But, I have no previous retail experience.

do you think they'd employ someone with no retail experience?
    they might do, depends if they like you or not.
    I think you should go for it, and then if you dont get it, I would apply to work as a volunteer in a charity shop for a while to get some retail experience. Charity work looks great on your CV too, so youll be killing two birds with one stone. It would probably boost your confidence and self esteem too, plus you get first pick of the clothes.
    i don't think your passion for dressmaking/fashion design is really going to make much of a difference. you're not going to be making the clothes or anything, just selling them.

Have to disagree, it'll show that she has a passion for the category of work etc in my opinion. I got my last job on this same theory.
    I would apply to work as a volunteer in a charity shop for a while to get some retail experience. Charity work looks great on your CV

thats a really good idea :yes:
    Mist wrote:
    God almighty, just apply already. How in hell should we know if they will take you on or not?

Yeah, like that was helpful :rolleyes:

Try and think about the specifics of what they want. Remember that tills/security systems etc are all different according to each shop so even if you had previous experience they'd have to train you in these things.

They'll want you to be friendly, approachable and be able to demonstrate that you can communicate well. This doesn't have to be through retail - have you done anything at school/college to emphasise your abilities?

Your pasion for fashion will definitely be a bonus, so when they ask you "why do you want this job", be sure to show your enthusiasm - you can be the most capable person in the world, but if you aren't enthusiastic, you won't make a good shop assistant, so this is the most important thing to get across.

It's always hard bigging yourself up, but the more you do it the easier it gets. Try to prepare enough before hand and make notes of the main things you want to say. Even if you don't get this job, more will come up, so treat it as a brilliant experience for next time.

Good luck :thumb:
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm just gonna go for it. In the past I've been offered jobs in the Body Shop and the Gadget shop on no previous experience. I'm sure Karen Millen is worth a try - I guess I'll never know if I don't apply.

Thanks people. Ilora x
    you should be able to get a job having had no experience, afterall everyone has to start somewhere! trouble is with me, i've had nothing but retail experience! you can have some of mine if you want, i have 4 years worth. :yippe:
    Do you wear clothes from Karen Millen? Is it the type of shop you would buy things from, or wander around even?

I get the impression you're quite gothic in appearance and I can't imagine Karen Millen being the kind of place that you appreciate that 'look' in their staff. Of course I'm probably wrong but it's just something to think about should you be invited to interview.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Do you wear clothes from Karen Millen? Is it the type of shop you would buy things from, or wander around even?

I get the impression you're quite gothic in appearance and I can't imagine Karen Millen being the kind of place that you appreciate that 'look' in their staff. Of course I'm probably wrong but it's just something to think about should you be invited to interview.
    Yeah, I wear Karen Millen clothes. I'm into the gothic look, but I don't do it like most do. I'm also into the '50's pin up' look too... Think, Karen Millen Bustier, with Karen Millen pencil skirt, silk stockings and platform mary jane shoes, with 50's style makeup and beauty spot.
    I shop in places like Karen Millen, Versace, Monsoon, French Connection, Mango, Zara. I just choose items that can be called 'gothy'.

I'm very much into my designer clobber and wear as much as I can afford. I just add a touch of 'goth' to what I wear. I love the tailored look which you can easily 'goth up' with a steel boned corset underneath.

I'm not your average "Hot Topic Goth" I don't buy all my clothes from Camden Market either (Only my corsets). I love my labels!!

Ilora x