Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jim Cousins MP tries to justify Identity Cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Its possible that our passport if it did not contain biometric information would not be considered enough ID, and because of that they might impose visas. Though its doubtful.

But I have no objection to biometric passports, it could prevent people owning more than one by cross referencing the database. I firmly object to ID cards however.
  • Options
    I am not opposed in principle to the introduction of some form of identity card. I do have a number of concerns about the way in which this can be achieved, while protecting individual liberty and especially keeping costs down.

I am sure that he means this. I do however have some reservations about the qualifictaions and vague language he uses. I am sure he can formulate a response that fobs one off while also apparently agreeing.
    It seems clear that we are going to have to move to a system where passports will carry far more information (including biometric information). The majority of European Union countries and the United States are already moving in that direction.

It seems clear that the whole of governmental organisations are moving against their populations, being ever more intrusive. As one of the leaders of the country, I feel slavish following to this trend is the way forward, while maintaining lip service to the idea of sovereignty.
    The European driving licence will also require biometric data in the near future. Without biometric passpots or driving licenses UK citizens might face costly delays, the need for visas or bans on driving in Europe.

Other governments have, in the past and are at present, culling areas of their populations based on race, shoe size and any other arbitary rules people like my good self make up to keep our hold on power. I feel that we may as well jump in that pool too, while we are using the copying of others as our excuse. No doubt my counterparts accross Europe are using the same wafer thin excuse in their own native languages...
    As an integral part of this there will be a need for many more passport centres. I have seen suggestions that this could amount to as mnay as seventy new passport centres.

An integral part of you swallowing this horseshit is your failed recognition that passports are voluntary and are used by you about twice a year if you are an average schmoe.
    So even without introducing the prospect of identity cards a substantial expenditure is already inbuilt into the work that will have to be done providing a new form of passport.

So even without the new ID scheme we are already throwing your cash around like water, in fact please fail to recognise that you paid for this letter, it's writing and my lunch. (It was smoked salmon, btw, cheers) As we are chucking your moolah around, we may as well go on a spree. Don't worry about paying for it, we'll know exactly where you are and when soon - we'll let you know how much we spent.
    I have already raised with the Government the need to have a passport office in Newcastle. I will also argue for the siting of the new biometric data centre in the North East, probably in Durham.

I have already said the introduction of biometrics is a maybe, and now I am going to insult your intelligence by telling you where this new center is going to be. Because I know there is fuck all you can do about it, I will just pat you on the head and keep on shovelling.
    At the same time a number of people will be required to be issued with new forms of ID. These would include those accessing welfare benefits, asylum seekers and people given leave to remain.

I am thinking yellow stars, or maybe orange jump suits, of course this matter isn't decided yet, but the new centre for yellow star and orange jumpsuits will be located somewhere near to your home address, so you can feel that it might increase your towns employment rate.
    These forms of ID are already likely to contain new forms of data. Elsewhere in society there is also a concerted movement within commercial organisations for new forms of ID carrying greater data.

These forms of argument are being used in all sorts of different places, not leaat the private, unaccountable sector and anywhere else there might be a few bob in collecting vast quantities of information about you and your family. All we want to do is dip our bread in your gravy, so go back to sleep.
    As a Parliamentarian I take a great interest in financial services.

Because they tell me what to say, think and do in exchange for a cushy lifestyle and feelings of domination.
    Many of you will be aware of how the issue of identity fraud is increasingly threatening current banking arrangements

Which is costing the banks money, but which you are already protected from cause we already have laws against theft. Don't think about that though, just feel a bit afraid for your finances so you are more malleable.
    Something that addressed this problem would clearly be of great benefit to everyone.

Clearly I am giving no details how because there are none.
    It is also clear that identification relating to proof of age could be a particularly effective tool in a number of areas, notably in tackling under age drinking.

Believe. Obey. Work.
    I am concerned t the increasing use of stop and search powers on lifestyle, cultural and religious minorities that are readily identified by dress (especially head coverings), style of haircut or shave, or the possession of tattoos (or body or face piercing). An identity card could protect such minorities and enable a rapid assertion of rights and identity.

So I want to make your identity based on a piece of cardboard rather than centuries of history or your own personal preferences. Oh, and don't consider who exactly they would be protected from because that goes to a scary place where you can't trust me to have the ID cards either....
    Therefore, I am not opposed to identity cards in themselves

Even though you might have noticed I haven't given one single positive benefit from them in this letter, other than "hey, Europe is doing it" or it'll stop minorities getting hassled like should already be the case,
    I am concerned, however, about the details of how this will be done.

Because if I am going to start monitoring you 24/7 and curtailing your access to services based on cardboard I want it to work properly.

Yadda yadda, only problem is how effective my 1984 vision can be made happen in the real world....

This stuff scares me shitless.
  • Options
    More fobbing off by someone we pay far too much to do far too little.

I shall be awaiting the same letter to me, although I also complained about the appalling treatment of asylum seekers so I'll probably get two generic letters.

Twat. Just like the other 630 of em.
  • Options
  • Options
    You've already got it :p
    Yay, w00t, etc.

And to think that I pay this cunt £230 a month. Even compared to the council, who take being thieving cunts to new levels, Mr Cousins excels at being a sanctomonious thieving cunt.
  • Options
    And to think that I pay this cunt £230 a month. Even compared to the council, who take being thieving cunts to new levels, Mr Cousins excels at being a sanctomonious thieving cunt.

Then stop paying them for fucks sake. You know the law, why not ask some questions before you reach for your wallet?