Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dont know about next year...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone! Im gonna try to keep this brief! (ill probably change stuff later)

I have now finished uni and am going to graduate with MA Honours next week, but im not sure what to do next. I have been accepted to do a post-grad primary teaching course at uni and also an HNC/D in photography at college.
-I really love photography, but i dont know if the course would be for me. I dont wanna be in a class with a heap of 16yr old school leavers - there would just be too much difference chronologically, emotionally, intellectually etc. Anyone know the differences between college and uni? Is college like school?
-Although i have really enjoyed helping out at a primary school this year I have issues with teaching (my mum is a teacher and i dont wanna follow in her shadow, i felt zero joy when i learnt i got accepted, etc etc...). Mum is totally biased towards teaching course too - its impossible to talk to her about other options. I wish i never applied sometimes.

I dont know what the hell to do and time is ticking past. I dont even know why im posting this because no one can really answer :( Its just starting to get me down. I hate not knowing and im worried ill make the wrong decision. Should I do teaching or photography? Can anyone suggest a careers organisation that i might talk to?

Thanks! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i don't think you should be dismissing the photography course just because of the age difference. you may well find that there are others in your situation. if it's that much of a deal could you do it as a night course or something? also, with teaching..you'd have to work with people on different age/emotional etc levels than you.
  • Options
    what is your degree in? if it's anything related, doing a HNC after an MA is a bit of a step down.

have you considered doing something like an apprenticeship in photography? it might be something fairly dull to start with, like doing school photos or something, but it's all experience, and at least you'll be earning.

and i personally think teaching is a vocation, and you shouldn't do it unless you are pretty passionate about it. grappling with 30 young kids everyday would get old pretty quickly if your heart wasn't in it.
  • Options
    Okay - thanks guys for your input :)! I think I have made my decision. Its just really weird suddenly not having set plans, im not used to it!
  • Options
    draven wrote:
    I really love photography, but i dont know if the course would be for me. I dont wanna be in a class with a heap of 16yr old school leavers - there would just be too much difference chronologically, emotionally, intellectually etc. Anyone know the differences between college and uni? Is college like school?
    Depends on the college. A HNC/HND isn't going to have teenagers alone, they'll be a variety of age groups and experience! My course at college was fantastic and everyone got on with one-another (bar a few) so you should definitely keep it an option.

That said, I agree with Kaffrin. Going from an MA to a HNC is a major step down.

I'm in a similar dilemma myself. After just finishing my HND and being rejected from my UCAS first choice institution (Dundee University), I now have the decision to progress to an Advanced Diploma college course or go to university somewhere which I liked but is a bit of a distance from home (Aberdeen). There's also the dreaded funding issues to be considered. So I can relate in a way.