Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

travelling australia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i am hoping to go to australia after i've graduated next year. my best friend wants to come with me but it's not definite due to jobs etc.

if i go on my own is there a company who set up groups or can i join up with other people some how? apart from meeting people at hostels that is.

and if anyone has any experiences or advice i would like to hear it. thanks :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when i went to auz i travelled from the west all the way over to the east. it was awesome. i did it all on my own too, and made many friends from it. there are several companies that will take you on lengths of journeys ie from alice springs to darwin etc, or over to cairns, with a group. just pick up stuff from the travel offices when you get there!
    There's lots of companies.

However, I wouldn't use any of them. If you can drive, I would try to either rent or possibly even buy a car and use that. Otherwise use coaches because you will meet people at the hostels anyway and some of the organised bus route tour things are just shite, and stop in stupid places.
    I think using a tour company at first would be a good idea, until you get your grounding in the country. Whilst it is scarily like Britain in many ways- cricket, tea- it really isn't like over here at all.

I'd also suggest starting in a slightly different place to all the other backpackers, just because Sydney is rather boring IMHO. Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth are all far more interesting places.
    Yes i agree with Kermit there. whilst i found stuff to do in sydney, it wasnt the most memorable place of my trip. Perth was just amazing, as is the country side of West Auz. spending a couple of days in Ayers Rock and Alice Springs was entertaining too.

Do plenty of aboriginal culture stuff too, cos their culture is very interesting.