Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

candida, endometriosis and possible M.E....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's not me, it's my friend.
Any suggestions as to what she might do to combat her problems?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Yes. Go to her GP.

Her GP is a little food Nazi.

'Well, you can't be vegetarian, you're severely affecting your health. We were designed as omnivores you know!'

'Oh no, meat is the only decent source of protein. You must eat meat.'

'Oh no, restricting food for religious reasons is a bad idea. Your body won't forgive you!'
  • Options
    doctors are there to keep people alive and healthy, not be religious or vegetarians
  • Options
    Well this one seems to think it's part of her job to lecture on how people can't possibly do what they feel morally inclined to do.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    doctors are there to keep people alive and healthy, not be religious or vegetarians

and i repeat, in some cases (not all) morals can be bad for you

i know many of us will think the practice of not allowing blood transfusions if you are a jehovah's witness, is pretty much stupid, but that is a moral and personal thing for someone, obviously if you are dying of some disease which a blood transfusion might help, then while your morals might not harm you specifically, assuming someone who takes the blood transfusion lives, then your morals might make you slightly more dead than then next person

if its such a bother, then why doesnt she swap gp's?
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Well this one seems to think it's part of her job to lecture on how people can't possibly do what they feel morally inclined to do.

no its her job to lecture people on things that will/should help them

the comment you make, shows me the problem isnt with the gp
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    and i repeat, in some cases (not all) morals can be bad for you

In this circumstance i think it's basically nothing to do with the aforementioned GP, she suggested that nutrition can be compromised by adopting a vegetarian dairy-free wheat-free caffeine-free alcohol-free sugar-free diet.... however, this is wrong.
    if its such a bother, then why doesnt she swap gp's?

Have you tried changing your GP lately? It's impossible. No-one will take you.
  • Options
    so why come in here asking unqualified professionals advice about a number of serious conditions of which it would be prudent if not bloody downright sensible to ask a professional, and if you have allready proved you dont like the advice of a professional, why come in here, to hear what you want? aint you supposed to be going to medical school?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so why come in here asking unqualified professionals advice about a number of serious conditions of which it would be prudent if not bloody downright sensible to ask a professional, and if you have allready proved you dont like the advice of a professional, why come in here, to hear what you want? aint you supposed to be going to medical school?

Well, considering most of the people in here have a better idea than the so-called 'professionals', I was hoping for some helpful nutritional advice. especially when the advice of a so-called professional is WRONG.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Well, considering most of the people in here have a better idea than the so-called 'professionals', I was hoping for some helpful nutritional advice. especially when the advice of a so-called professional is WRONG.

you know it is wrong because you say so?
    and because the advice disagrees with the personal beliefs of your friend?
  • Options
    It is wrong because anyone with even a basic grounding in nutrition knows that there's nothing in meat that you can't get from another source. Suggesting that any individual should change their diet, which goes against their beliefs, on the premise of incorrect information, is unprofessional, rude and downright disgusting. Also wrong.
  • Options
    then complain to the BMA
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:

So she should ask to be allocated, the practice doesn't have a choice then.

Oh, and she should contact the Dietetics team who could offer advise, rather than her GP. With all due respect, if she isn't going to listen to what her GP suggests then she shouldn't bother asking. The GP will offer an opinion based on experience and medical facts - some of that will be to suggest that the patients lifestyle may be contributing to their health problems and they will offer a possible solution.

In this case the GP has apparently suggested that the person should consider meat. Whilst you are right to say that the goodness in meat can be sourced elsewhere, it does require some effort. If the patient isn't putting in enough effort then the GP is right to suggest the easier route.

Ultimately though, it's the dietetics team who will offer a much more detailed, professional answer. They are the experts in this regard, not the GP.
  • Options
    Whilst the friend in question has had very much of an 'off the rails' past, she is now the pinnacle of healthy eating and puts a lot of effort into ensuring her diet is as nutritious as possible. She is incredibly knowledgeable on matters of nutrition.

On the subject of GPs, she once saw a gynaecologist about something or other, and she said that there are quite a few possible reasons for contracting the disease. I can't remember precisely what it was. Then, when suffering from same disease again, she saw a GP with her then boyfriend in attendance, and the GP announced that no, you could only contract this disease from sex, thus resulting in a massive row after her boyfriend believed she was cheating on him.
  • Options
    a one man crusade to probe that all doctors are wrong
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:

Has she tried, though? It isn't always that difficult. If she really feels that she is not being taken seriously then she should report it to the local Primary Care Trust - with any luck she will then be able to see someone else.
    Maybe she should write a food diary for a couple of weeks and take that in to show to her GP to prove that she is getting all the right nutrients. Then he will be forced to think beyond the obvious?
    Alternatively, if she has severe symptoms out of GP hours she could go to A&E and see what they say.
    There are options - it's important that she seeks proper medical advice, though.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Alternatively, if she has severe symptoms out of GP hours she could go to A&E and see what they say.

Okay, I appreciate that people may turn to A&E as a last resort, but this really isn't the place for something like this. General Practice is.

It's no wonder that A&E departments are stretched when people use them as an alternative to going to their GP. That's not what A&E is for, it's name kind of describes what you should attend there for. Anything esle just waste precious time for the Drs, unrses etc and means that those patients with real urgent need just get their care delayed.

Fine, out of hours you should call the local OOH service, but really they aren't going to be that interested either because what the user has described doesn't come across as an "emergency" or even "urgent".

Seriously, the best place for this person to be seen is a GP surgery. It is possible to be see as an unallocated patient (speak to the practice first), it's also possible to get allocated to a practice. As you say, where there is real concern then the PCT will be happy to step in, as will the PALS service.

I honestly cannot believe the claim that the person "cannot" change GPs. I suspect its more a "want" issue...
  • Options
    Sounds like your friend is having a really tough time!!!

Reguarding the nutrition thing, I know of a woman who a lot of Endometriosis sufferers really rate, she's a nutritionist with a particular interest in endo.

Dian Shepperson Mills' book

That might help her. :)

She definatly should try and see a diffrent GP, is there another one she can request to see when she rings to make an appointment who works at the same practise?
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    Reguarding the nutrition thing, I know of a woman who a lot of Endometriosis sufferers really rate, she's a nutritionist with a particular interest in endo.

Dian Shepperson Mills' book

Is that book any good? and does it help in other ways than trying for babies? Thinking of getting it but if its just about helping infertility then i wont bother
  • Options
    It is suposed to help with the infertility but it's not just for that, it's suposed to help with pain and other symptoms too.

I've spoken to a few women who really reckon it works.

To be honest I wouldn't try it unless I was suffering unbearably but that's just my stubbornness getting in the way really, I don't like the idea of letting endo dictate what I eat as it's affected so much else in my life already!

It sounds pretty intense if you follow it properly, but if it works then I guess it's worth it!!!
  • Options
    Okay, I appreciate that people may turn to A&E as a last resort, but this really isn't the place for something like this. General Practice is.

It's no wonder that A&E departments are stretched when people use them as an alternative to going to their GP. That's not what A&E is for, it's name kind of describes what you should attend there for. Anything esle just waste precious time for the Drs, unrses etc and means that those patients with real urgent need just get their care delayed.

Fine, out of hours you should call the local OOH service, but really they aren't going to be that interested either because what the user has described doesn't come across as an "emergency" or even "urgent".

Seriously, the best place for this person to be seen is a GP surgery. It is possible to be see as an unallocated patient (speak to the practice first), it's also possible to get allocated to a practice. As you say, where there is real concern then the PCT will be happy to step in, as will the PALS service.

I honestly cannot believe the claim that the person "cannot" change GPs. I suspect its more a "want" issue...

I totally understand what you're saying and I really wouldn't suggest you go to A&E willy nilly. It was more of a last resort option if the girl feels she has absolutely nowhere to turn. I did emphasis first that finding an alternative GP would be preferable - and maybe not as difficult as suggested.