Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reality TV has 'helped race relations'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options

I really don't think that anyone who has been on Big Brother is a 'normal person' whether they belong to an ethnic minority or not.
    You're not wrong there...
  • Options
    I don't think its helped race relations or helped reduce homophobia. But I think it does show how much society has changed.

Can you imagine any support for some of the gay or black candidates thirty years ago? They'd have been the first voted out because of 'what' they were, rather than 'who'. Instead they are now seen as individuals and treated accordingly.
  • Options
    what about the clear division of the house which is in fact a white group and a black group. Also, i don't know if anyone here knows of the racist comments by Maxwell and Saskia, they don't show them on the show but it's on their website and if you watch it live.
  • Options
    I really hope people dont learn about other peoples and cultures from Big Brother, they are wierd desperate simpletons.
  • Options
    I love the way they have a gay, black conservative speech writer on there. The left wing press shat itself when they heard about this.
  • Options
    Did they? :confused:
  • Options
    I love the way they have a gay, black conservative speech writer on there. The left wing press shat itself when they heard about this.

Source?

I know Derek's in there, I mean a source for the allegation that the left-wing press shat themseleves...

Personally I think it has done wonders for race realtions. Now we can all see that no matter what the race, gender, sexuality etc, every one has it abhorrent example... ;)
  • Options

He's a hunts master as well IIRC.

He's the biggest bundle of stereotypical contradictions to be ever embodied by a human being.

He's also a cock.
  • Options
    I think its quite right to be fair. If you dont actually know anyone whos black in real life, its easier to think that the colour or the culture might make them not like `you` (speaking as a white person) I do think this is useful in showing some people that the colour or even culture of someone doesnt mean they are a different type of person.
  • Options

Do you get some kind of weird kick out of making stuff up?
  • Options
    C4 is very liberal so when you see a show like this they always do there best to fill it with asians, negros and gays.

No idea why but it must appeal to the public in some way.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    C4 is very liberal so when you see a show like this they always do there best to fill it with asians, negros and gays.

its called a mix of nutcases to entertain people, i dont get it myself ;) still boring i know mroe interesting peopel in my day to day life
  • Options
    couldnt agree more :)
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Can't even spell it right can you? :D
    While at the same time pissing off your ilk. Result! :D :wave:
  • Options
    I find it helps to put Tommo on ignore.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

You are criticising Ch4 for including a cross section of society?

What would you prefer?
  • Options
    While at the same time pissing off your ilk. Result!

What? :confused:

I'm actually quite enjoying this years show, I also hope the black man Derek wins, whats the problem? :confused:

You are criticising Ch4 for including a cross section of society?

No, just pointing out what they do.
  • Options
    I find it helps to put Tommo on ignore.

:D
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    No, just pointing out what they do.

Funny how often your "observations" smell of racism, isn't it? :p
  • Options
    I think its quite right to be fair. If you dont actually know anyone whos black in real life, its easier to think that the colour or the culture might make them not like `you` (speaking as a white person) I do think this is useful in showing some people that the colour or even culture of someone doesnt mean they are a different type of person.
    I agree... I remember being back in school and people were wary of my best mate because she was Chinese... She also wasn't allowed to get prefect status because apparently she wasn't intelligent enough, which is stupid. English isn't her first language but I could have a conversation with her no problem and it's not like she didn't know any rules...

At the same time they gave badges to special needs people... But the ones they gave them to were the obnoxious ones.

But my mate was every bit as cool as everyone else really... Her family were ace. :thumb:
  • Options
    Funny how often your "observations" smell of racism, isn't it?

I havnt said anything racist in this thread
  • Options
    "Negros"...

But hey, I said "smells like". I don't think that you are brave enough to be blatant...
  • Options
    ROFL.

Have you ever read a dictionary? :D

Negro is the correct term. Go read a dictionary if you dont believe me, pathetic, absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    ROFL.

Have you ever read a dictionary? :D

Negro is the correct term. Go read a dictionary if you dont believe me, pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Yes, I know that the word exists in the dictionary. There are lots of words there, doesn't mean that they are all "acceptable".

It's all about connotations though. If someone like Martin Luther King (for example) uses the expression, it has a different connotation to when someone like Nick Griffin does.

The problem with your use is that you "smell" racist. I laugh when you accuse me of being pathetic as you don't seem brave enough to voice your actual opinion. You seem to try to dress it up to make it a palatable as possible. To me that truly is pathetic...
  • Options
    Yes, I know that the word exists in the dictionary. There are lots of words there, doesn't mean that they are all "acceptable".

Do give me a few more.....those racist bastards who compile the dictionary must have enough.
    It's all about connotations though. If someone like Martin Luther King (for example) uses the expression, it has a different connotation to when someone like Nick Griffin does.

Bullshit, stop trying to excuse racism.
    The problem with your use is that you "smell" racist. I laugh when you accuse me of being pathetic as you don't seem brave enough to voice your actual opinion. You seem to try to dress it up to make it a palatable as possible. To me that truly is pathetic

You may as well have just translated that into...."Shit Ive lost the argument, I have no points to produce so I better just call him racist quick" Your right, truly pathetic. :thumb: :yippe:
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Do give me a few more.....those racist bastards who compile the dictionary must have enough.

You think they are racist? Words aren't racist, the context can be. Which is the point I was making above. I didn't expect you to get it, guess it needed to much thought.
    Bullshit, stop trying to excuse racism.

Explain.
    You may as well have just translated that into...."Shit Ive lost the argument, I have no points to produce so I better just call him racist quick" Your right, truly pathetic. :thumb: :yippe:

Nope, I think that there is enough evidence of your views around these boards to give me that viewpoint. Howeverm, you skirt around the issue so often without coming out with what you really think. You know that your views don't stand up to scruitiny, that they are based on ignorance and you don't ever want to confront them.

Instead you make snide comments and insinuations.

Fine, you think I'm pathetic for having that opinion. I don't actually care. But then I'm not the one who has to hide what he really believes. I'm secure enough not to be scared of anyone different to me, whether they are black, asian or gay. You cannot say the same, can you.
  • Options
    and back on topic, i think reality tv has done sod all