Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Has the acid done this to me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I am a 30-year old male and for about 10 years have been a small-time recreational drug user. Probably smoked marjuana about 15 times, taken acid once, taken E twice, done cocaine about 10 times. And that is it - all split up over long periods of time, never had a period of heavy use. My favourite drug has always been cocaine but never done loads of it. I have never had adverse effects while actually on anything.

My problem is with my one use of lsd. I took lsd 9 years ago, while at university. The experience itself was pretty benign, just being spaced out and some mild visuals. No major hallucinations or anything, no panic. But I had some problems the next day and for a couple of weeks afterwards with anxiety - I was unsteady on my feet, slurred speech, funny sensations in the head, anxiety symptoms.

These symptoms slowly disappeared, and for the past nine years I've been fine. Never took acid again as I knew it didn't agree with me, but had mild use of marjuana and cocaine and ecstacy (twice) with no adverse effects. Then one morning about 3 months ago I woke up with horrible symptoms of anxiety that haven't left me since. I am anxious constantly, have had panic attacks, and horrible physical symptoms in my head. A self-diagnosis points to something called "Generalised anxiety disorder" but my symptoms are odd, and the speed at which they came on is odd for the condition.

The thing is my mind immediately races to blame the lsd all the time, because of the anxiety I initially had on it all those years ago. Is it possible that it is the one usage of lsd that has caused all this, and that is has in some way "come back to me" after 9 years? Did I damage my brain in some way with that one usage, and if so is it possible to get over the anxiety.

I have thought that perhaps stress could be a factor in kicking off this anxiety disorder (I have had a very very stressful couple of years recently, culminating in a stressful wedding 6 months ago). But my mind constantly comes back to that one lsd trip 9 years ago and won't let it go. How could I have been OK for 9 years and suddenly get anxiety symptoms from the lsd, totally out of the blue?

Research on the web is non-conclusive. It does seem that permanent problems can occur after one use (anecdotal user evidence points to this), but there is no evidence of someone like me having minor problems after one use that went away, and then those problems coming back much much worse 9 years later.

any advice appreciated,

Fingers Malone

Comments

• Options
    The short answer is quite probably no.

LSD will not in anyway physically damage your body, unless you do MASSIVE amounts, as in grams of the stuff.

It can trigger mental illness, though its unlikely to especially over such a long period of time.

Your GP is the best person to speak to about this, self diagnosis is very difficult for mental illness.
  • Options
    Its possible, but unlikely. It could be the cannabis, more likely the cocaine IMO. It may have happened anyway, without taking any drugs. Its impossible to say really. It would be a good idea to not take any more drugs though - at least until you get your problems sorted, but possibly better to be abstinent from now on.

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I can only reiterate what Blagsta and Bongbudda have said, and say that i think you should go and see your GP, the sooner the better. Sitting around worrying about it may only make you feel worse.

I am not about to make any suggestions about what has caused you to feel this way, but I believe it is extremely unlikely to be the LSD you took. If it is an anxiety disorder, as you suggested, this is quite suprisingly common and is successfully treatable. But enough of the self diagnosis, get yourself off to your doctor, and good luck with it.
  • Options
    gp's rarely understand anything beyond tabloid stories regarding street drugs sadly.
    if you mention lsd to him/her ...it is very possible they will believe beyond any doubt that it is the lsd ...which is highly doubtful.
    do see your doc about anxiety though and talk about those last two years and the now.
  • Options
    The problem with going to your doctor about anxiety is you'll be given pills for it which have their own side effects. A common one is this...if you have a gf she'll be happy cos you'll be able to go all night, but you wont be able to finish :banghead:

Whenever I get problems I put them down to lsd, so do my mates, but then I did tons of the stuff when I was younger. It's probably nothing to do with them but who knows, and telling people isn't worth it because the symptoms can be treated the same with you as a person who'd never taken any. So as morrocan said keep the stuff about drugs to yourself and say it just came on by itself.
  • Options
    I would presume actually that an SSRI isnt the first option for anxiety, or is it? I'd have thought a benzo for serious cases and maybe a beta blocker for lesser ones.
  • Options
    There is a whole range of treatment options, some of which don't involve medication. Lets not make any assumptions here people!
  • Options
    Well of course, something like CBT would be the probable ideal solution, but we all know how rare that is.
  • Options
    So what do you suggest he do, deal with it himself? I know what you are saying, but lets not make the man give up all hope before he even gets to his GP!
  • Options
    I recomended he go to his GP, thats clearly the best thing to do.
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting he doesn't go, but doctors are busy and 99% of the time just prescribe you something for the symptoms you describe, thats how it is these days. Not saying it's a bad thing just that there are side effects they dont always tell you about.

My GP put me on a course of Paroxetine as soon as I told him, they do help if you dont mind the side effects. Anxiety is all in your head but it's very hard to overcome, sometimes you need medication to help get you back on track.
  • Options
    Not all GP's are like that, mine is a bit quick but he always listens and there is a discussion rather than him just telling me what to do and take.