Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Transport to the Live 8 gig in Edinburgh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Got a couple tictets through the post this morning...

With just over a week to go til the gig, it looks like it's gonna be pricey to get there from where I live (Exeter, Devon) to Scotland - an £84 saver is the cheapest I've found for the train. Planes come in around the same price but I'm not sure I can live with actively supporting such a polluting industry. I really don't want to get there on a bus, since it is a very long way.

I remember hearing in the news that Richard Branson was putting on reduced price, or maybe free, trains to Edinburgh, but I can't find this anywhere. Maybe it was just a dream? Does anyone remember anyting about this or can anyone suggest any other ideas on how to gte there?

Why is transport so crap and expensive in the country?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    coach? it'll take a while but be a fair bit cheaper.

eta: just noticed you say you'd rather not. but, what's the other option? can't have it both ways!
    You should get a cheap flight from somewhere to Glasgow then get the 7 pound train over to edinburgh which takes an hour.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Branson was gonna put a free train on at one point but apparantely Virgin dont have spare stock and there is no pathing for one.
    Doesn't Geldof want you all to walk there? :p

And £84 ain't bad when you think about it. After all you are travelling from one end of the country to the other. And if you think about who your getting see for your £84 your getting a good deal. Most people pay around £50-60 for a ticket to see one band never mind 15+
    Doesn't Geldof want you all to walk there? :p

And £84 ain't bad when you think about it. After all you are travelling from one end of the country to the other. And if you think about who your getting see for your £84 your getting a good deal. Most people pay around £50-60 for a ticket to see one band never mind 15+

Fair point NinjaMaster, but I thiink I'd rather put the £84 towards the price of a Glastonbury ticket in 2 years time and thus I don't think, I'm going to be going.

In the meantime, I am now looking for anyone who wants to swap their ticket to Live 8 London for my tickets to Live 8 Edinburgh, and failing that they will be given to my uncle who lives just outside Edinburgh, or any of my friends who would like to go, though most will face the same problems with transport costs.
    ill take em off ya ;)

otherwise its down the club in town thats having a live8 extravaganza, free entry, £1.50 a pint and free BBQ. cant say fairer than that. i dunno if its right them making money off a charity event, but i aint complaining.