Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone Into Boxing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just ordered a punch bag and gloves for fun in my room. Anyone else do boxing as a hobby? Only done a bit of kick boxing before. Any tips?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Find a gym, it's very social, and you needn't spar if you're not confident. Great for fitness. Pro boxers are incredible athletes.
    Circuits and boxing is uber fitness training :D.

I reckon your best finding a boxing club tbh :thumb: :yes:
    Def agree with finding yourself a club. Practising at home is cool but i find it a lot better with the club. Mainly because i have the circuit equipment, the ring and the trainers there instead of just the bag and a skipping rope.

If you really can't find a club in your area why not start bringing in some skipping exercises, maybe doing your own circuit at home e.g push ups, abs exercise, squats etc. and then it'll feel like a proper training session. Although do be careful not to push yourself too much to start with else you could end up doing more harm than good. Do your skipping or a quick jog as your warm up and then your stretching.

I love boxing to be honest, it's incredible how much it increases your stamina. I was fit in bursts before eg sprints and quick time exercises but now i'm able to keep going for longer esp. sparring exercises.
    Thanks for the replies. Yep i may join a club/gym as well. Think ill just try experimenting first though. I do quite a lot of press ups and sit ups, just want to add to what im doing already. Guess ill just take it slowly, then gradually build on it.
    You have to join a gym or local club, you should have a good teacher there who will give you some pointers. Dont try too much at first though, just do some fitness work as its only when you start boxing you realise just how much energy and fitness you need, I was a great boxer at 16/17 and never reached my potential. Given up now as my fitness has declined over the last 6 months/year.

Also make sure you get yourself a skipping rope, use it for at least 30 mins a night, its the most effective boxing piece of equipment except for your punchbag :)
    ye was in a boxing club this year
    cant really do it without getting tips, and prob wear wraps when hitting a punch bad, Mainly try hit one spot and swing your hips to get power for alternating hands-
    Skipping rope is great especially whe you get used to using one.

Even get a book on it and will show you practiacal exercises-
    Prob even just go to classes in arae or something, lots of push ups and sits ups too as need really tone your arms and stomach for it!