Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Travelling to Dubai soon - Sun Tan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, im new, joined the forum especially looking for advice. Ive done searches and read other similar postings too before Im posting

In about 2weeks im going on Holiday to Dubai for 9 Nights, at present the temp is just below 100degrees+will be higher when I get there, not to mention the humidity. Ive been before for a few days and I know its very hot there.

Regarding tanning, moisturising and looking after my Skin while im there i have various questions to protect myself the best but also come back with the best tan I can do without peeling before I even get back to work lol.

If I get a very high suntan lotion, does this mean I will get a lower Tan than if I had a lower factor?

If this is the case it would make me understand how on other hols ive had higher factor on my face and managed to get very tanned on my body but not on my face and when getting back to work ppl saying, oh so was it not hot n sunny, and i cant very well strip off.plus it gets annoying.

Considering the temp and that there is never usually any cloud cover what factor should I get?

Also I have some Lynx Snake Peel Shower Gel, the one with sandy bits inside that exfoliate.

Is it best for me to use this on my skin, face especially, before Ive applied sun cream for the day, or to do it only at the end of the day when im not gonna be in the sun anymore and then apply some After sun, or both?

Are there any special types of After sun I should purchase?in the past ive bought ones with aloe vera in and not took much attenton to anything else.
Or should I have another kind of moisturiser as well as after sun?

Would getting and taking some Vitamin B suppliments be benefitial too to help look after my skin.

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• Options
    I'd say take a variety of factors - start with a very high factor such as 35 - because if you've not been in the sun before you can burn really easily.

After a few days go down to a lower factor like 20 then after a few days more to 15 or so and then depending on your skin type you could go as low as 10 in the last few days but i'd really only recommend this if you've got darkish skin and dark hair - if your fair then dont' bother.

Suncream just increases your skins natural resistance to the sun - it if you have on factor 20 then you will be able to stay out in the sun 20 times longer than if you had no sun cream on and so on.

However you should always re apply suntan cream once every 2 hours anyway and after each time you have been in the swimming pool.

You should also avoid the sun in the middle of the day as its particually strong say from 11 - 14.00 and if you really feel the need to sit out then use a higher factor at this point.

Use the same factor on your face as on your body.

You need to choose a suntan loation which is appropriate to what your planning on doing - ie if your just going to lie in the sun all day then try and find a moisturising one - but if your going to do sports and swimming then you will need a special sports one - you can also get some which have some low leval self tan in them so you get browner quicker.

If you get sunburnt then you need to have a cool shower and put aftersun onto the burn - you can usually get some with aloe vera in them especially for burnt bits. Don't go into the sun after you have put it on as aftersun acts like cooking oil and will literally fry you. You will need to use sunblock on the burnt bits.

In terms of the exfoliating - dont' exfoliate every day as you will a) scrub all your tan off and b) make the new skin underneath which is not yet tanned sensitive and more likely to burn. Instead i suggest once every few weeks and get some proper face exfoliator for your face - clarins and clinique both have mens ranges.

In terms of after sun care you have lots of options - you need to make sure that you use a moisturising aftersun loation every day (as adverse to one thats specificlly for burns) - you can also get ones again which have some self tan in them to make you go browner quiker. There are also others which are tan prolongers. You can also get aftersun shower jel which has extra moisturiser in it - which is quite good.

TBH i personally think your some nutty mad english person going to Dubai at this time of the year I'm sure the local population (amira correct me if i'm wrong) spend most of their time trying to hide from the sun not sit in it.

Remember by sunbathing your likely to age prematurely and increase the of risk skin cancer.

Enjoy
    x
  • Options
    some useful links for you:

Sun sense

Cancer Research UK's sunsmart campaign

Hope you have a great time!