Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bad Accomodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Got my accomodation offer through the other week and its the one i want but the problem is that im on the bottom floor. I really dont want to be on the bottom floor because obviously im not gonna have that much privacy and there is always chance of stuff getting nicked.

How could i get a room change? Any good excuses as to why i can say i need to be on a higher floor.

Cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Theres a chance of getting stuff nicked whatever floor you are on. Buy a net curtain. Privacy solved. You should be grateful you got the choice that you wanted.
  • Options
    Well some ones got to have the bottom floor rooms?

Just think of it as usefull, for sneaking people in and out :p
  • Options
    If your male then you will be on the ground floor. I was on the ground floor, wouldnt worry bout privacy, if people want to look they can, thier loss! I got used to it after a while, not like I go out of my way to flash people but if they want to walk past looking in.....
    As for stuff getting robbed, your better of heading to a higher floor and try and find a all female flat, plenty of stuff to rob there........ and girls are generally just stupid...... Not that I mean to offend half of the population....... bah bah. The girls in my house are annoying.... bah

Bopz
  • Options
    I cant really think of anything you could say as to why you need a higher floor.. i dont think itll be that bad. is this in halls? cos if its like my halls the chances are your window wont open very far at all so unless you dont lock your door the chances of things getting stolen arent that likely i wouldnt have thought. and yeah- buy a net curtain and the privacy problem will be solved! i doubt people are going to be that interested in looking in your window anyway!
  • Options
    thats the way it is tbh. at least you got the one (building) you wanted. now stop being so picky. :p:)
  • Options
    youre lucky youve found out youve got the place you want!! i sent my form off ages ago and im worried im not going to get into the place i like (because the others are rubbish!!) im hoping because im classed as an overseas student theyll fit me in :)

and im sure the bottom floor wont be that bad :) as long as youre not tooo near the actual entrance to the building then im sure there wont be many people looking in at you
  • Options
    think of the stairs you don't have to climb up! chances are they might've filled most of the rooms by now.
  • Options
    you could try phoning up and telling the accomedation peeps that u dont feel safe on the ground floor - u can but ask! if they say no to changing u, its tough really, u wont know til u ask.
  • Options
    You will appreciate being on the bottom floor when bringing in your food shopping or crawling in drunk :thumb:

:yes:

I was on the ground floor when I was in halls. I wasn't too pleased at first when I found out, but I was lucky to get a room in the halls that I wanted and it wasn't that bad once I had moved in. The windows were sorta blacked out so you could see out but people couldn't see in unless they came right up to the window so it didn't make much difference to be honest. Also, all the ground floor rooms in my halls windows opened inwards instead of outwards so little chance of anyone getting in. You could try ringing the uni but honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it and if your halls are like mine were, it's enough hassle getting into the place with a key, never mind anyone else who shouldn't be there getting in. :)
  • Options
    I had a ground floor room. The good thing about it was: when I was drunk I could climb out of the window instead of walk all the way around to the front door. You also only get noise coming from upstairs rather than every direction.

The bad thing was: one night I was half asleep and some guy tried to climb in the window. After that I would never ever have a ground floor room again.
  • Options
    As other people have said: Don't worry about it too much. When you get there you may find it's not that bad, and there are certainly advantages of living on the ground floor - not having to struggle with shopping or stuff when moving in.

Do you know exactly where your room is? You might find it's in a position which is well hidden from where people normally walk or obscured by a bush or something so privacy won't be a problem.

I don't think there's any real reason you can change - someone has to have the ground floor rooms, and if everyone found reasons not to it would be a hell of a lot of work for the accommodation office. If you h have any problems after moving in do speak to someone about it, but in the meantime don't worry.
  • Options
    When I was in halls in first year, I was on the ground floor too. At first I (and my all-female flatmates) weren't too happy or confident about this arrangement, especially as there were several completely male flats on the floors above us. Anyway it ended up being a huge advantage, as we all used to climb in and out of bedroom windows (either because we'd forgotten our keys, or like someone else said, because we were lazy) and we could even use the kitchen window as an entry route. I also had endless hours of fun conversing with passing mates and random other students.

Admittedly once, one of my flatmates walked back into her room to find an old man poking his head through her window. She was a bit freaked out, but that'll teach you to leave your room to make some noodles and leave your window open! We never had any other issues, it was a flat on the top floor that had it's door kicked in by a delightful (and drunk) pizza delivery bloke. I'll say that the windows on the ground floor always have those catches on them, so they can't be fully opened, unlike people upstairs. A good thing, apart from causing some ungainly entry techniques.

My advice would be to wait and see until you get there. You might adore your flatmates, love the room, and decide that you can cope with being planted on terra firma. If you don't, then the most likely scenario is that someone will decide to leave (either halls, or uni altogether), want to swap rooms as well (bad flatmates, noise etc) or maybe not even turn up! At this stage they've probably tentatively allocated all their rooms, and sent the offers out. So you'd be more likely to get a switch once you're there and able to manage the situation in person (and harass accommodation staff, if necessary). As has been said previously, someone has to live on the ground floor, and it ain't so bad. They wouldn't put people in those flats/rooms if it was regarded as unsafe or unsecure. You'll always have a buzzer/key entry system too, and should have an on-site warden (usually a big dickhead, but nevermind, you still feel safe-ish...except from him!). Wait and see, anyway, it'll be cool.
  • Options
    I was in a ground floor room last year. It was OK but when we got a house I said I'd rather have a tiny upstairs room that a reasonable sized downstairs room because I didn't want to be on the ground floor again. The advantage was I was closest to the kitchen and my room was quite big. The disadvantages were that the bathroom was upstairs (only became a problem once when I was really really sick) and that people expect you to answer the doorbell because you're closest. Oh and people slamming the kitchen door but that depends on the consideration levels of the people you're living with.

I wouldn't do it again, but it was ok.
  • Options
    I was on the ground floor in my halls for the first year and I had a fab time! All the windows could only open a certain amount anyway for safety and yeah just get a blind if u dont want people looking in. There's loads of advantages, some already mentioned like u don't have to carry your food shopping far, u don't have to constantly walk up and down stairs and moving in and out is a hell of a lot easier so dont worry. None of us lot on the bottom felt like we were disadvantaged at all!
  • Options
    in my halls the people on the bottom always seem to have the most fun anyway.