Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Looking for graduate jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right where is a good place to be looking for graduate jobs, I have tried:

Doctor Job
Reed
Monster
Prospects
Local News Paper

Is there anywhere else, I'm getting stuck for ideas! :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    Local News Paper

I hope you weren't studying English?! :razz:
    What sort of "graduate job" are you looking for?

If you're looking for graduate placements with big firms, then look on Prospects or in the Appointments sections of quality national newspapers.

If you're looking for temporary work then Reed would be a good place to look, although I personally don't hold much faith in their graduate vacancies website. I think it is rubbish.

If you're looking for "graduate" or similar roles in local government, then look on Sector1, in local newspapers and jobs papers, or on council websites.

If you're looking for local roles, then local jobs papers and jobs supplements in local newspapers would be ideal.

Also, the power of networking can never be underestimated. Ask around.
    graduate recruitment online?
    hobsons?
    prospects?
    journals? - if the type of work you are looking for is in a specific area.
    :)
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I hope you weren't studying English?! :razz:
    Hmm you must be bored to pick out mistakes in people grammer, and so what if I spelt it wrong, every one new what I meant im sure, this is the internet not the english dictionary!
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    people grammer...new...this is the internet not the english dictionary!

Just as well;)
    :crying: Omg, I can't believe that on this forum you have to spell everything properly otherwise face people ridiculing you! I feel sorry for those who have dyslexia, what do you guys do to them, take the piss out of their spelling until they slit their wrists out of shame :mad:
    Maybe get in contact with the careers service at your Uni. I got my graduate job from the company who came to my uni to do a presentation, maybe your univerisyt might still be holding some.
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    Omg, I can't believe that on this forum you have to spell everything properly otherwise face people ridiculing you!

Aww poor baby *huggle*

It's a joke, what's the point in getting all het up about it?
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    :crying: Omg, I can't believe that on this forum you have to spell everything properly otherwise face people ridiculing you! I feel sorry for those who have dyslexia, what do you guys do to them, take the piss out of their spelling until they slit their wrists out of shame :mad:

To be honest they should have a bit more self-belief than to do that. What you've experienced here has just been a little light ribbing. Did noone take the piss at your uni?
    Have you tried the professional websites related to your degree. For example the RTPI for planning jobs, NHS for heathcare related jobs, teaching union website for education etc. Also your county council, local authority websites might have suitable jobs? If you post the profession you hope to enter I might be able to help - I was a careers adviser in my previous life!!
    I have studied Sociology and I am particularly interested in research and conducting/designing my own research. I have been looking on websites related to this type of work recently, http://www.mrweb.com/jobs/ is a recent site that I have found. Hopefully I can do something in this field and eventually build my own company in the long term plan. I haven't got any professional experience of research however for my dissertation I conducted original research and gained an 80 (which was the highest in my yr) and I thought this might be a good example of what I can achieve.

I work for the council at the moment and would like to move away from it as I really think people hit a glass ceiling in terms of wages with the council, peaking at 30k and leveling off (obviously not in all sectors). I hope to achieve more than this and wouldn't mind starting on a slightly lower wage in the private sector, as it will mean in the future it is likely to rise anything up to 80/90k according to prospects.ac.uk, I would just like to get into this field and see if I enjoy it, I live in the Portsmouth area so its quite convinient for reaching many places in the south east but I would prefer something a closer to home rather than miles away. :yes:
    google 'graduate jobs in <insert area>'.

i got my job through www.graduatelink.com, but it only covers yorkshire and humberside.

<joke>although if research is your thing, you should probably already have tried</joke>

:p
    kaffrin wrote:
    <joke>although if research is your thing, you should probably already have tried</joke>:p
    :lol::lol::lol: