Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Temperature at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm pretty sure theres a minumum temperature that you can work under (that if it falls under that legally you cannot work) Is that right? Well is there a maximum temperature? Its been getting extremly hot at work and there is no air con. :no:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your right about the minimum temperature think its around 13 degrees but as for maximum i dont think there is one, i think it is at the companies discrestion.
    oh i wish there were a max!!
    every single floor in my office building has air conditioning except for ours. it gets SO hot in there. i'm dreading tomorrow if the weather is like it was today.
    im in the fresh meat section at work - nice and kool
    Lucky you!
    satehen wrote:
    Lucky you!

yup

then pop in the freezers out the back to get fresher :D
    fish section for me so all is nice & chilly for me to:)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there,

If you are finding it too hot at work then it's likely that your colleagues are too - including managers, so if you haven't already then you should mention it. You could perhaps sugges (in the nicest way possible!) that if there isn't a chance of getting air con they could get some fans for particularly hot areas - they can make a big difference and aren't too expensive- and will be appreciated by everyone. Maybe get some of your colleagues to back-up your request.

Goodluck!
    We've all complained, but nothing gets done.. besides i'm leaving in September anyway!
    A place of work has to be safe, and extremes of heat aren't safe. I don't think there is a maximum temperature, but if you faint because of the heat then I think the HSE would have something to say about it.
    Whilst British legislation does not set a maximum working temperature, it is interesting that the World Health Organisation recommends a maximum air temperature of 75°F/24°C for workers to work comfortably.
    Panthro wrote:
    Whilst British legislation does not set a maximum working temperature, it is interesting that the World Health Organisation recommends a maximum air temperature of 75°F/24°C for workers to work comfortably.

It was just over 100°F (107°, I think) in the servery for the cafe I used to work in the other day. So glad I moved departments.
    just take in a fan. :)
    we've checked this out. manager's discretion. so no, basically, unless you have a nice boss. even then, probably not.

employers have a responsibility to provide a comfortable working environment for their staff, but it doesn't specify a max temperature.

our boss doesn't think it's too hot cause there are 3 fans and an air-con unit in the office he's in. in ours we don't even have 1 fan, it's 31 degrees according to my desk clock thermometer thing, and i think i might die.
    kaffrin wrote:
    we've checked this out. manager's discretion. so no, basically, unless you have a nice boss. even then, probably not.

employers have a responsibility to provide a comfortable working environment for their staff, but it doesn't specify a max temperature.

our boss doesn't think it's too hot cause there are 3 fans and an air-con unit in the office he's in. in ours we don't even have 1 fan, it's 31 degrees according to my desk clock thermometer thing, and i think i might die.

Fall off your seat - fake a fainting episode and put a claim in
    kaffrin wrote:

Nick some fans :p

Really though, it's Japanese worker efficiency or something; a happy, healthy worker is a productive one. Who here can actually concentrate on their work and get things done when you're physically melting??