Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Apply in writing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If a job advert says 'apply in writing including full CV' what sort of things should I put in the letter? Would it need to be things like why I want the job and why I think I would be good for it?

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kat_B wrote:
    If a job advert says 'apply in writing including full CV' what sort of things should I put in the letter? Would it need to be things like why I want the job and why I think I would be good for it?

I would just put a covering letter saying something like :

"Please find enclosed a copy of my CV for condsideration for such and such a job that I have seen advertised in such and such a place."

Your CV should tell them all that they need to know.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As littlemissy says, just put a short covering letter and a copy of your CV in the post.

Yoiur CV will show what you are good at, and any covering letter waffle normally goes in the bin anyway.
    Thanks guys. I also meant to ask- I've just done a year at Univeristy, however I've decided to leave for a lot of reasons really. How do I put this? Do I put in my CV that I did a year or should I put it in the covering letter? Also, should I go into the reasons why I left?
    Kat_B wrote:
    Thanks guys. I also meant to ask- I've just done a year at Univeristy, however I've decided to leave for a lot of reasons really. How do I put this? Do I put in my CV that I did a year or should I put it in the covering letter? Also, should I go into the reasons why I left?

I did two years at university and I only mention it if I think it will help me get the job. For example, I applied for a job in the library at Durham Uni, where I spent two years. I put a bit in the intro section about having been there, so I know how to use their library system already. I also applied for a job at another university, so wrote about it noting that I knew how the admin system works from a student's perspective etc.

HOWEVER, I haven't got it on my CV. Both of those were on official application forms where they ask you why you would be good for the job etc.

In your position I wouldn't mention it, no.
    Thanks. Although the job I'm applying for is to do with what I did at Uni for a year- I've done a year of a journalism course and I'm applying for a trainee journalist position at a newspaper (you don't need a degree, just A Levels and work experience etc) The thing is I wouldn't really want to go into the reasons why I've decided to leave..