Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BSc Psychology Honours and jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just finished my second year of a BSc Biological Sciences (Psychology) course at Edinburgh Uni. I needed over 60% in my Psychology modules to get into Honours Psychology in 3rd (and then 4th) year. I managed that, and also passed the necessary statistics course. Basically I've got the oportunity to do this honours course and I want to take it, because it should theoretically stand me in good stead.

The problem is, I really have no real solid career ambitions. I realise with my degree that I'm not tied down, and as I'm not at some bluff university, I realise that I probably do have, at worst, a few decent options. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good advice, particularly regarding careers and what not. I feel I need some focus of where I want to be, but just need a push in the right direction.

Obviously people see the Psychology and think I'm destined for a clinical psychology career or some psychological variant. But realistically, I'm not certain that is where I'm headed, and though alot of it seems attractive I would like to know more about the alternatives.

Also, what are people's expriences of honours and its merit? Will it make much difference in future employment?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well, if nothing else, doing more years at uni buys you more time to make your mind up.
    a psychology degree would be suited to any career where you are working with people in a nutshell.
    the other thing is although it might not quite work like this in scotland becasue most honours courses are 4 years instead of 3 years. in england, it usually takes 3 years FT study to graduate with honours and few degrees are ordinary class (i.e. non-honours.) so most people in england graduate with honours!
    if you did want a career in the psychology field - bear in mind it is EXTREMELY competitive and takes a lot of further study and finance. because the competition is so intense it would be worth pursuing honours imo becasue it would stand you in better stead for applying for further courses. but as i said beore, it all depends on what you want to do post-uni?!
    also, is your psychology degree accredited by the BPS???
    if you are unsure, i guess there would be no harm in doing a further year to get your degree with honours, i mean its not like doing a higher degree like an MSc, where finance might be an issue. :)
    It is BPS accredited. That's the difference between the honours and the 'bog standard'. Yes, In Scotland we have 4 years study, as opposed to the 3 in England, and elsewhere in the UK.

I know it is competitive employment wise, but Edinburgh Uni consitently has one of the best graduate employment percentages and average starting salaries in the UK so I'm confident, that as long as I'm focused I should be in a fairly decent position. The problem is, I don't know where to focus, or what to specifically aim for employment wise. I've got another 2 years (at least) so I'm not over pushed to decide my future but I suppose I'm looking at the options available, and the possibilities which interest me most.
    may be a chat with a careers advisor might be a good start?!
    Yes, indeed.

But sometimes it's good to hear from other students, particularly those with Psychology and see what sort of areas they are in, or are planning to look at. I do intend to talk to an advisor but probably not until, at the earliest, the start of next term.