Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cover Letter & CV *Please Help*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is my cover letter for a general enquire about any jobs vacancies available @ the places i've listed a bit further down the page in this section of the forum:
Dear Sir / Madam

I am contacting you to see if you currently have any suitable vacancies within your company that I could fulfil.

I feel I would be a suitable candidate to work within your company and enclose a CV for your consideration. I will be available to work immediately from the current date of this letter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Crispy

CV to follow later when i've rewritten it & removed all the personal info:)

Sorry for being a pain in the booty with all my threads in this section today:p Creating a single mixture thread didn't cross my mind:D opps

Comments

• Options
    Crispy wrote:
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you to ask whether you currently have any job vacancies within your company (particular branch?).

I am currently unemployed/A-Level student/employed elsewhere and feel I would be a suitable candidate to work within your company. I have relevant experience and skills from... and enclose my CV for your consideration. I am available to work immediately.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Crispy

Enc.
    Minor changes to improve readability.
  • Options
    Here's my tip: don't do a general cover letter, target it at the specific work place. Mention things about their company that you like, or your connection with them. That will impress them more than a standard letter you have obviously sent out to loads of other companies as well.
  • Options
    Try and sell any experience or general interests you have in what they are doing. I usually try and sell bits about my personality as well. Just to show how wel i'd work in teams and so on.
  • Options
    don't say 'unemployed', say 'looking for employment'. it sounds more positive :yes:
  • Options
    As kaff says, you're actively seeking employment.

And don't try and be too horrifically formal, because it is awful to read and most people who would read your letter wouldn't be that formal anyway.

Instead of just randomly sending out covering letters, you should be more selective in what you do. Go on the JobCentre website, go on the jobs page for the local council (they always have shit loads of office junior positions), find a vacancy then apply for it. Random CV mailouts generally go in the bin, or so my boss at Budget Insurance has told me before.
  • Options
    Basically what i'm trying to say is please give me a job in your business because I need money to create a life for myself.

I'm crap @ selling myself because the things i'd say would be totally honest & true but then could also be interpreted as i'm too good to be true when I know that i'm being genuine:)
  • Options
    I'd agree that you need to target your cover letter to the position you are looking for. If you are applying to a retail, explain why you want to work in retail, what you are good at, what strengths you think you'd bring, but don't be too OTT.

Some general CV + letter tips that I posted in another thread...

Keep your CV simple.
    * Your CV must be concise.
    * Your CV must be easy to read.
    * Your CV Should be presented professionally, clearly, and in a way that indicates you are an ideal candidate for the job, i.e. you possess the right skills, experience, attitude, that the employer is seeking. The way you present your CV effectively demonstrates your ability to communicate.

* A well presented CV also indicates that you are professional, business-like and better organised.

* Your CV should be no more than 2 sides of A4 paper. Any more and it is likely to be binned staight away.

* Use as few words as possible - "less is more". Think carefully about the words you use to ensure that you convey everything that you want to say concisely as possible.

* It is best practice to include a covering letter on your CV - looks like you have really put some thought into apply for the job.

* CV cover letters must be very professional and perfectly presented. Use high quality paper, and ensure that the name and address details and date are correct you have a named recipient of the CV. Taylor each CV for the job you are applying for.

* Keep CV cover letters brief and concise.

* Ensure you lay the letter out neatly, again on good quality paper, with your own address top right or centre-top. Avoid fancy fonts and upper case (capital letters).

Jon
  • Options
    the university of manchester careers service website has good advice for creating CV's (http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/getting/cvs/) and cover letters (http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/getting/letters/).

Not just for graduates either!
  • Options
    i know on the cv u shave your address but do u have 2 have it
    in your cover letter as well top right coner?l