Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

unsure whether to do 3 or 4 years

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i just finished my 2nd year of chemistry with maths at UCL

this year i got about 53% or a 2:2

i dont know what i want to do after, im considering job in chemistry which needs MSci to do a Phd to get a job, or the armed forces, or college teaching - none fo which are great paying but i WANT to do them

anyway i want a 2:1 or equivilent, and for the 3yr batchelors my grade this year is 40% and next yr is 60%
for the 4yr this year was worth 20% and the next 2 years are 40% each

if i do 4yrs i have to do full on labs this year on top of lectures(15 weeks of 3 days a week being 9-6 that day) and a 12000 word literiture project and poster project

if i do 3 years i get far more choice

and i dont know how to weigh it up :( i need help :( i speak to departmental tutors and theyre like "do what you want to do" and i dont know what i want to do, so have no basis on how to decide
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've just finished my 3 year BSc Biomedical Science at Hull, and due to get my results tomorrow. I originally applied for the 4 year with placement but my A-levels were shit so I got put on the 3 year degree. All in all I'm pleased with my 3 years as I got to stay with my housemates until graduation and not had to watch them all leave, go separate ways and get left all on my own for another year.

As for your 53% only you know how much work you put in to get that 2:2. Only you know if you'd be capable of sticking another 2 years. Although it would count 40% of a 3yr degree the third year may allow you to improve massively as the learning curve between 2nd and final year is not as large. The next 2 years of a 4 year sound hard work, fucking hard work but you'd leave with a Masters degree instead of bog standard BSc.

Also, the only subjects you need a degree to join the armed forces are Medical, engineering, teaching...to join the relevent corps.

Good luck in reaching a decision.
  • Options
    I've just finished my 3 year BSc Biomedical Science at Hull, and due to get my results tomorrow. I originally applied for the 4 year with placement but my A-levels were shit so I got put on the 3 year degree. All in all I'm pleased with my 3 years as I got to stay with my housemates until graduation and not had to watch them all leave, go separate ways and get left all on my own for another year.

As for your 53% only you know how much work you put in to get that 2:2. Only you know if you'd be capable of sticking another 2 years. Although it would count 40% of a 3yr degree the third year may allow you to improve massively as the learning curve between 2nd and final year is not as large. The next 2 years of a 4 year sound hard work, fucking hard work but you'd leave with a Masters degree instead of bog standard BSc.

Also, the only subjects you need a degree to join the armed forces are Medical, engineering, teaching...to join the relevent corps.

Good luck in reaching a decision.

im not fussy about leaving peope cause people annoy me at my uni :p

and i felt i put in a load of work in this year as well :(

oh i didnt do my degree to go into armed forces i done it to learn what i enjoy learning and maybe go into a career in it, im not too sure on a chemistry based career and finance may suit me but i bloody hate it

college teaching i think i may do a years training in after :) couldnt teach 2ndry school :razz:
  • Options
    im not fussy about leaving peope cause people annoy me at my uni :p

and i felt i put in a load of work in this year as well :(

oh i didnt do my degree to go into armed forces i done it to learn what i enjoy learning and maybe go into a career in it, im not too sure on a chemistry based career and finance may suit me but i bloody hate it

college teaching i think i may do a years training in after :) couldnt teach 2ndry school :razz:

Fair enough. I hope you end up a better chemistry teacher than those jokers I had for my a-level...fucking hopeless, but having said that they were teaching chemistry after all. ;)
  • Options
    Will they let you go on to the 4th year if you don't get a 2:1 for the combined 2nd and 3rd years???

I'd say try and work your ass of next year to get a 2:1 - becuase then you can go to any university you want to do an Msc or a PGCE (if thats what want).

I guess it depends if your really academic or not and if your up for all the extra work.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Will they let you go on to the 4th year if you don't get a 2:1 for the combined 2nd and 3rd years???

I'd say try and work your ass of next year to get a 2:1 - becuase then you can go to any university you want to do an Msc or a PGCE (if thats what want).

I guess it depends if your really academic or not and if your up for all the extra work.

if i go for 4 year i need above 50% a 2:2 and i can drop ut at end of 3rd year too

reason i can decide is the actual course details like a literiture project :yuck:
  • Options
    if i was you i'd consentrate on trying to figure out what you want to do after uni. both college teaching and any of the armed forces would not require you to have either an MSc or a PhD on entry. (although the armed forces could probably facilitate any other urther study you want to do post entry.) - have a chat to a careers advisor if nothing else - becasue it might help you to straighten out your goals a bit.
    think about what benefit would it be to you in the long term to do 4 years instead of 3 with your degree???
    is having to do a "lit project" and "lab work" enough to turn you off the idea???
    how much more choice would you get doing 3 years - does that mean you'll be doing modules you want to do - things that you enjoy??? - etc.