Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self harm research

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

My name is Sally and I'm working on a piece of research that as part of my training as a counselling psychologist at London Metropolitan University.

The idea for my study came about because I realised that many people who self-harm do not want to discuss this with people in the medical profession, preferring instead to support each other through internet groups or by calling confidential phone lines.

This means that the medical profession never gets to hear your stories, or to understand your point of view. I would like to try and change this by giving you a chance to take part in a piece of research specifically designed to give self-harmers the chance to tell their own stories.

What will I have to do?

I want to hear about what self-harming means to you, and how you feel about the support that you get from using this site – all you need to do is send me an email.
I’ve suggested some things you might want to include in your story, but at the end of the day, this is your story and I want to hear whatever it is you feel is important and want to share.

What will happen to my story?

The stories gathered will be edited to ensure anonymity and will be used to form the basis of a report that will be submitted towards my counselling psychology qualification. I will also make my findings available to you when it is completed. This should be in September 2005.

What do I need to do now?

If you think you might be interested in taking part, all you need to do is email me at SAM536@londonmet.ac.uk. I’ll then send you some more information about the study and you can decide from there if you want to be involved or let me know if you still have any questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you will feel that participating in this study is worthwhile.

Sally McKenna

Counselling Psychologist in Training
London Metropolitan University

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a counsellor who is okay discussing / acknowledging the issues of self harm??? ... they exist??? :crazyeyes :shocking:
    sorry, couldn't resist! :(
    My counsellor always used to nod and smile and say she understood but I always got the feeling she thought what i did was weird.

My email doesn't seem to be working right now but feel free to PM me I'm interested in being involved

Phoenix
    My counsellor didn't help me with my self harm problem at all, helped with other things, but maybe she thought it would go away if the other things were dealt with first....but no!
    My counsellor told me I wasn't priority. And I don't think she understood either. My new GP does though, which is good. Hum.

I may send an email later.
    Counsellors are great for dysphoria and dealing with low-level trauma, but anything more taxing than that and they simply don't have the knowledge to deal with it.