Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Time off work for interviews

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know where the law stands on getting time off from your current job to go for interviews elsewhere? Is it a legal requirement or can they stop you from going if you're contracted to work then?

I have an interview but it's 10am on a Tuesday. This is the set day for interviewing. My boss is a bitch and is curently making my working life hell 'cos she knows I want to leave.

I am owed 8 hours pay for extra hours I've worked. Would it be worth asking to take some of that time back, therefore appearing to be wanting to reach a compromise?

Comments

• Options
    Ask if she would let you have a day off for an interview, but don't tell her when. If she says no appear to accept it. On the morning of the interview call in sick.
  • Options
    Not that I'd recommend lying, but you might want to pretend you've got a dentists or hospital appointment, rather than saying you're looking for another job
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not that I'd recommend lying, but you might want to pretend you've got a dentists or hospital appointment, rather than saying you're looking for another job

i agree.

hospital appointments usually work well, cause you are allocated a spot, and not really able to change it. but with your profession, it's a dangerous game. :p

dentist would work though.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Wouldn't work, she'd ask to see the hospital letter (I work for the NHS) and I would be allowed paid leave for it.

The other problem I've now got is that another member of staff is on holiday that day. I've arranged cover for myself but they're still really going to be a staff member short. Argh! I can't even begin to discuss it with my manager 'cos she's barely at work these days.
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean mate! going through the exact same thing at the mo