Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cannabis and brainpower

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, sorry if this topic has been brought up before but I'm a bit of a newbie so don't know these things :p
Anyway, I'm currently in the throes of A Level revision and my friends are bringing some weed tomorrow, which I wouldn't mind trying. But I'm worried it might affect my revision, like wipe my mind blank of everything I've learned or something, so should I wait until after my exams?
I know that cannabis can affect your short term memory, but how bad is it and how long does it last? How long will it be before I can revise properly again?
Any advice/warnings would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no cannabis shouldn't wipe out completely anything you've learned, you should be alright for only a small toke...cannabis will though affect your will to revise which is a totally different problem altogether :)
    Weed affects your short term memory. Anything you attempt to learn around the toke, your f**ked.
    Davy wrote:
    Weed affects your short term memory. Anything you attempt to learn around the toke, your f**ked.

how long will it be till my memory gets back to normal?
    Well I've always done it in the evening and dozed off so I'm back to normal in the morning. I'm not experienced enough to say for sure but I would definately not recommend it earlier in the day, before you attempt any revision. Get sleep afterwards and you should be fine.

Btw I said affects, not completely wipes out your short term memory :P
    Johonne wrote:
    how long will it be till my memory gets back to normal?

it's not as clear cut as that...it's hard to explain, chemicals affect everybody different, you can't be sure though it's not going to be something drastic or anything to worry about much, as long as it's only a small toke
    Hopefully I'll be fine then, I'll just try not too have too much. Thanks guys :)
    There is something called "state dependent learning" which basically means that if you learn something while stoned it will be easier to recall it when stoned and harder when straight.
    Also it is not defined as whether or not that one small toke will cause short term memory loss as that is a long term cannabis usage effect
    no ...short term memory loss is instant ...it's actualy part of the buzz.
    your in the kitchen looking at the kettle and can't remember why you came into the kitchen in the first place ...as you decide to leave ...oh yeah i was making a brew!
    the loss is a temporary condition. your long and short term memory are fine when the stuff wears off.
    and similar to what blagsta said ...sometimes stuff you learn whilst high ...may have to actualy be learned again.
    so don't revise whilst toking or sitting exams.
    Moderate use during your non-revising time probably wont adversely affect your chances.

However, because getting stonned and sitting about with your mates is fun, and revising isnt, its all too easy to neglect the revision and just get stonned. This is bad.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    the loss is a temporary condition. your long and short term memory are fine when the stuff wears off.

But considering how long cannabis can stay in your system I don't think it's a wise idea to smoke it in and around your exams.
    Cannabis made me lethargic even days after my last smoke. It's one of the reasons why I hardly smoke it any more.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think it depends a lot on how long you have been smoking for. Personally when I first started smoking, an odd joint or 2 during revision time (at the end of the day when I had put in some serious hours) didn't adversely affect my memory. However, now that I have been smoking for a few years, my memory is pretty crap and so if I was going to revise for something smoking weed would only make that worse.
    Well
    what the question has been answered by loadsa people

I think he was trying to make a joke on the question, it being about memory loss, get it?
    didnt catch that on

I noticed, dont worry about it, it wasnt hugely funny.