Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pay Rise + a Rant!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya

I'm feeling rather short-changed from my work at the moment. Its just a part time job, but im only earning £4.50/hour. My boyfriend (who is younger than me) has just started a new, also part time, job and he is on like £4.85/hour or something, which will rise to over £5 after a certain period of time. My manager called me the other day to get some details for her tax form and I realised I have worked at the shop for 2 years now and never seen a pay rise.

Here's the question - how does one go about asking for a pay rise? Its a small business owned by 2 ladies and there are 6 members of staff, although 2 are leaving soon. I dunno if the number of staff makes a difference. 2 of the girls are over 22 so they should be getting more money anyway. Oh, im 21.

Im pretty pissed off to be honest. I have never signed a contract or anything that states any conditions of employment. I have been a loyal member of staff and Im super polite and helpful to the customers etc etc. blah blah...And the manager got pissed cos we all needed a saturday off cos we all had an exam on the monday. I mean, its not our fault she has 2 young children and wont pay for a babysitter, or that the other manager got pregnant, or that they are too fucking stupid to realise that employing 3 final year students and one 3rd year student will mean time off at exam times. Rarr.

Okay, rant over - should i just quit or should i attempt to ask for a pay rise? Maybe its just time to leave. I do quite like the job though, although it is very lonely - on my own in the shop every shift, which means we dont get breaks etc.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well considering ur 21 then it is against the law to be paying u tht, u shud be on at least minimum wage which is £4.85 i think for your age. You could try asking for a wage rise but if not i would seriously consider leaving. Its only right tht ur entitled to breaks(if u work over 4 hours) and holidays so have a word about them 2.

Good Luck!!
    becky4131 wrote:
    Well considering ur 21 then it is against the law to be paying u tht, u shud be on at least minimum wage which is £4.85 i think for your age.

No, the minimum wage of £4.85 is for 22 year olds or over.

Just ask - explain that your expenses have gone up with inflation but your pay rise has not reflected this, as well as your commitment to your place of work. If they refuse, look for somewhere else.

Also I'm surprised that you were silly enough to work there for two years with no contract :no: Holidays are usually taken at the managers discretion anyway so you can't really blame her for getting pissy, but then I guess she can't really say no if you're not contracted and could just walk out of the door at any second.
    I personally think you should ask for a contract of employment.
    Thanks guys! I have decided to speak to the manager on Friday when I see her. If she says "no" to a pay rise then I'm going to hand in my notice. I got kinda upset over the whole situation today (not just the pay) so I think its maybe time to move on anyway.

Thanks again!