Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drugs and pupils

"Teenagers are five times more likely to have been offered illegal drugs than in the late 1980s. But the number of school pupils actually taking drugs is similar to a decade ago, shows research from the Schools Health Education Unit."
Click here for story.

I'm not surprised that the number offered drugs has increased. With drugs policies as they are at the moment, I'm not really surprised. No one has the faintest idea what's happened with policies on cannabis use, for example. But no more taking them? I'm a little bemused. What do you reckon?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    drugs and pupils, make them go very big :D

as for topic, i'm not really surprised, you hear on TV that there is an escalating drug problem but i know loads of people who don't do drugs, nothing against drug users but just don't do it, and as for being offered them, thats no surprise either, sometimes if i stand in a group of strangers i'll offer anyone a spliff, they say no they don't smoke it and i think thats dead on, it's not like i'm forcing a spliff down their throats...
    I dont think there is a bigger problem, just that people are a lot more aware of it.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm not surprised that the number offered drugs has increased. With drugs policies as they are at the moment, I'm not really surprised. No one has the faintest idea what's happened with policies on cannabis use, for example. But no more taking them? I'm a little bemused. What do you reckon?

whats there to be confused about, cannabis is class C, any prosecutions and laws relating to cannabis must follow those that comply with drugs in the class C bracket, pretty simple...speed on the other hand is weird, class B normally but class A when prepared for injection...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I think that people who are going to do drugs will do do them, regardless of the law.
    And people who don't do drugs, very rarely give legality as reason for their choice.
    Weekender Offender 
    "are those portobello mushrooms you're puttin in that broth, dinnerlady??"
    In my oppinion drug use will continue to rise regardless of any laws set by the government. The youth of today are very different from those of 10 - 20 years ago.. and much more likely to use drugs... it's true, and it will only escalate further.
    By most counts I have seen the total number of young drug users hasnt risen drastically for a while now, what has changed however is the drugs being used. It used to be that anything other than alcohol and cannabis in the under 16's was rare, now its far from that.
    Exactly, the massive drop in price in pills has put them easily within financial reach of even the poorest teenager.
    I remember this dude came into my school when I was in year 7 with a briefcase with lots of these little windows set in his briefcase with drugs in em all. He was sposed to teach us drug awareness and it's dangers...

Except the time he was there he only showed us the difference between one drug to the next. Great. Thanks! Now I know the different I know which one to go for...
    I am concerned about people who are less responsible for themselves (i.e. younger students, 12/13/14) who are being offered drugs. Which I am not sure was so much of an issue previously.
    They're naive and easily 'couched'! More and more kids have got a wealthy mummy and/or daddy so dealers see them as easy targets. Sad, really. Good thing I got an 'ethical' dealer :)

He don't deal to kids below 17, pregnant women nor people who obviously have addiction problems.
    Davy wrote:
    He don't deal to kids below 17, pregnant women nor people who obviously have addiction problems.

they're few and far between, i know dealers that would literally deal to anyone
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Davy wrote:
    More and more kids have got a wealthy mummy and/or daddy so dealers see them as easy targets. Sad, really.

I've sold drugs before to people as young as 14. :eek:
    It wasn't because I 'targeted' them, it was because they asked me.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I've sold drugs before to people as young as 14. :eek:
    It wasn't because I 'targeted' them, it was because they asked me.

Exactly, virtually all the drug market is demand led, there really are no 'pushers' outside the school gates, there are school friends and older brothers.