Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

sainsburys interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just landed myself an interview with sainsburys

And im not sure what im supposed to wear, i would feel stupid turning up overdressed but also would if i was underdressed.

Any pointers?

Im also a bit scared because ive never had an interview with a big company before and i dont know what questions to be prepared for!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dress smartly.
    Always dress for the interview - not the job.
    smart trousers and a blouse or nice plain fitted top.
    so would one of them jumper/shirt combo top things work? with a pair of smart trews?

aargh i dont even own a pair of shoes! would it be wrong to turn up in sandals?!
    Blah wrote:

And im not sure what im supposed to wear, i would feel stupid turning up overdressed but also would if i was underdressed.

Any pointers?

Im also a bit scared because ive never had an interview with a big company before and i dont know what questions to be prepared for!

I am your man :thumb:

What i wore was trousers, shirt and a tie (because i just finished 6thForm). There was a ffew people like me and rest wer in scruffy clothes. All the smart cloths people got in.

You need to bring your passport, bank details and Nation Insurance card.

from my interview:
    Gave u a booklet and 4/5 familys on what thye wat to cook - you look in booklet and pick meals that they would want (LOOK OUT FOR THE SPECIAL OFFERS). and they gave us 15minutes i beleive.

Then the made us sit in the canteen (I was waiting for 2hours!) and took me to their office - few questions were:
    - Any departments you want to work on/not work on
    - how long it take you to get to work
    - What qualifications you have
    - Why did you give Mr.Johnson the chicken pie etc. (from booklet)
    etc. [simple questions]

I was very shy and they noticed that and said on back of paper (i peeked :P) "Very shy but can see petentioal".

Anything else ya need to know? just say

Congrats on job - :cool:
    nooo not sandals. you wouldn't be allowed to wear them within the job so i wouldn't wear them to the interview. plus if you get the job you'll need some smart and sensible shoes anyway.

for my interview at tesco i wore a pair of smart black trousers and a fitted shirt.
    oh dear i need to get some shoes then :(

now im kicking myself for now buying the ones i saw the other day!
    flat black things would do fine, though a small heal would be allowed. no open toes or backless though. :razz:

dorothy perkins do nice ones.
    always dress smartly, first impressions count so much and you can never go back on a first impression

also i dont think you can be too smartly dressed for an interview (bar ball gowns and tuxes that is)
    Every interview i've ever been on i've always worn a trouser suit. I've never had an interview yet that wasn't succesful.
    right ok i think (main word here) i have sorted the shoes thing, i have some boots that i can wear under my trousers

the only vaguely smart stuff that i own is a pair of black trousers, black boots and one of them shirt/jumper things which the jumper is black and the shirt white.

is that too much black? i hate wearing black!

also should i have my hair tied up? i prefere it down but dont know if it looks scruffier down or whatnot
    Blah wrote:
    right ok i think (main word here) i have sorted the shoes thing, i have some boots that i can wear under my trousers

also should i have my hair tied up? i prefere it down but dont know if it looks scruffier down or whatnot

about the boots - we're not allowed to wear boots at tesco. i actually wore boots at my interview and was told i'd need some shoes for work.

about 3 years ago, i had hair about 2 inches past my shoulders and i got told to tie it up for health and safety reasons. however there are plenty of people at work with longer hair now and there's no problem. i think that rule is more for in the bakery and places like that. i shouldn't think it matters for your interview - whatever looks smartest and however you feel more comfortable i guess.
    about the boots - we're not allowed to wear boots at tesco. i actually wore boots at my interview and was told i'd need some shoes for work.

about 3 years ago, i had hair about 2 inches past my shoulders and i got told to tie it up for health and safety reasons. however there are plenty of people at work with longer hair now and there's no problem. i think that rule is more for in the bakery and places like that. i shouldn't think it matters for your interview - whatever looks smartest and however you feel more comfortable i guess.

There are so many regulations at the co-op, you must tie your hair up, you must not wear boots or nail polish etc.. i regularily come to work wearing boots with my hair down and nail polish, no one says a thing!
    satehen wrote:
    There are so many regulations at the co-op, you must tie your hair up, you must not wear boots or nail polish etc.. i regularily come to work wearing boots with my hair down and nail polish, no one says a thing!

my work is quite strict with the uniform. however if i ever dare to not wear the correct tesco skirt then pah! i always get a 'where's your skirt lucy?' and sooo many other people get away with it all the time! grr. and anyway a lot of the managers don't wear the correct stuff either. grr again.
    my work is quite strict with the uniform. however if i ever dare to not wear the correct tesco skirt then pah! i always get a 'where's your skirt lucy?' and sooo many other people get away with it all the time! grr. and anyway a lot of the managers don't wear the correct stuff either. grr again.
    When I used to work for Tesco we got away with murder with our uniforms, the only part of my uniform I ever wore was my shirt! I wore black trousers from Asda and when I worked nightshift I used to wear my slippers :D
    For my sainsburys interview I wore black trousers, black shoes and a smart jumper. My interview was pretty much the same as Joshmeister's and to be honest I found it all pretty easy. Just come across as friendly and make sure that you fill in the meal suggestion things correctly.

I got the job and after that I had to go back for two training days, great fun :eek2:

oh and yes, I too seem to be able to get away with things with my uniform. They gave me a navy skirt and it was hideous and too big so now I wear my black trousers for work. I also wear black trainers which when I started weren't allowed...I think they are now though
    Blah wrote:

Any pointers?

I work at sainsburys i just wore black trousers, shoes and a smart looking top

My interview was about 4months ago a bit like joshmeister (I waited about 2/3 hours aswell)
    They basically ask you why you want the job, where you would like to work and hours blah blah then they also asked me a few questions about what i would do in certain situations

We can wear trainers for work (black) and most of us wear black trousers our one has got really stirct on uniform now though and weve gotta wear the correct jumpers (sounds sad but my one is about 3 times the size of me)
    The induction days arent that great you sit there and watch 6 videos for a day which we just took the piss right outta the people in it they didnt finish off the rest of out training only till
    can i just ask you how did get your interview did they advertise on the notice board or did u send you cv in?
    gladiator, i went in, asked for an application form, filled in it, went back and gave it to them ;) got a phone call about 3 days later arranging an interview
    ohh so you didn't know if their was a job going u just went in and asked 4 app form and got it, luckey they had jobs going at the time you asked then
    gladiator wrote:
    ohh so you didn't know if their was a job going u just went in and asked 4 app form and got it, luckey they had jobs going at the time you asked then

basically; yes
    Sparklie wrote:
    I got the job and after that I had to go back for two training days, great fun :eek2:

Oh wernt they fun :yeees: LOL
    Oh wernt they fun :yeees: LOL

shhhh your not encouraging me :p

would i really have to go through training to stack a shelf?
    Blah wrote:

yep!
    Blah wrote:

oh yes, you have to know about codes (i still don't have a clue what each code means) and dressing them right and stuff...yeah i didn't really pay attention.

Actually I was hungover and had managed to have about half an hours sleep on the morning of my second training day. The videos were so boring that I actually fell asleep several times where i was sat and jolted back to life again...very embarassing. I don't think anyone noticed though, they were too busy watching the 'interesting' health and safety videos :thumb:
    oh god i dont know if i can be bothered with all that

i just want a job where they say "ok this is this, and that is that. get on with it"

not 2 fecking days of training!!
    Sparklie wrote:
    oh yes, you have to know about codes (i still don't have a clue what each code means) and dressing them right and stuff...yeah i didn't really pay attention.

Actually I was hungover and had managed to have about half an hours sleep on the morning of my second training day. The videos were so boring that I actually fell asleep several times where i was sat and jolted back to life again...very embarassing. I don't think anyone noticed though, they were too busy watching the 'interesting' health and safety videos :thumb:

ROFL - See the fish knife video - it rocks *****

jk
    Blah wrote:
    oh god i dont know if i can be bothered with all that

i just want a job where they say "ok this is this, and that is that. get on with it"

not 2 fecking days of training!!

you should get paid for the training day/s.

and with most jobs you'll find there is some element of training involved.
    well its getting nearer, its tomorrow :nervous:

ive decided to wear sandals, dont really have much of a choice. plus, i dont see why it would cause a problem, theres no set uniform for an interview

anyone know what the pay is?
    Shit, thats what it is.

This is typical sainsburys;

LMAO, not long before i left in february i had to do some training. think it was yet another food safety bullshit waste of time.
    He stressed how everyone must complete this before being aloowed to work on the food counters.
    So he got us to introduce ourselves, name, department, and how long weve been working there.
    So all these new folks introduce themselves, about to start working on the deli mostly- he gets to me and i say " im Ellie, i work in the bakery and have done for the last 3 years!", he said "Really? on the counter?", me "yes, of course!"

The funny bit is when theytell you to take a sheet and go round the store to the meat and deli counter and find out what the colour coding is for knives and chopping boards.
    Every chopping board is the same colour and about 1 knife for thw whole department!!
    Well my interview was saturday, i *think* it went ok, although i guess i will find out when i get a phone call.

I had to tell them about my back problems and stuff so i hope that doesnt jeopardise (sp?!) my chances of a job.

The whole thing was very cheesey and uncomfortable. The woman interviewing me read the questions and answers out loud. Cheddar.

questions like "what would you do if an elderly couples credit card was rejected at checkout?"
    er wtf, i havent been trained for the job so how the hell would i know?! (dont worry, i didnt say that)

Anyway yeh, cheers for advice
    Blah wrote:
    questions like "what would you do if an elderly couples credit card was rejected at checkout?"
    er wtf, i havent been trained for the job so how the hell would i know?! (dont worry, i didnt say that)

Anyway yeh, cheers for advice

:eek2:

what a strange question to be asked! i'd ask if they had another form of payment and if not would fetch my section manager!

i got asked stuff like i had to give an example of a time when i felt in control of a situation or something.