Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Overtime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so as we haven't actually been told this at our work, and I don't really want to ask them because I'm feeling a bit poo about work and things atm, I thought I'd ask about it as a general thing here:

If you work Sundays, should you definitely get overtime? Like, I get £5 an hour, but as my shop is open Sundays, should I get more etc?

I did where I last worked (I dunno how much more I got exactly, but it was quite a bit - time and a half maybe, I dunno). I just wanted to know if it's like a law or something :|. I get confused, see.

Franki
x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If your shop is normally open Sundays then I'm guessing you wouldn't get paid overtime as it is a normal working day as far as they are concerned. Overtime rules vary from place to place - for example - I only work 16 hours a week and I wouldn't be paid overtime rate until I had exceeded 40 hours in that week, even if I did work on a Sunday.

Jools x
    Hum...they don't *have* to open Sundays, and as from now they aren't going to be open every Sunday anymore. Hum. I'm gonna have to ask aren't I?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    At our shop we can opt not to work Sundays if we want. If we choose to work Sundays then we just get paid normally. Our overtime is just paid at normal rates though. Check your contract.
    There's no rule that you have to be paid extra for working Sundays. You can opt out of Sunday working but check your contract to see that you didn't already to agree to work Sundays.
    I wish i got overtime for working Sundays, but its the only day i'm contracted to do lol. No i wouldn't expect double pay for working Sundays, only if you work bank holidays or special days such as Easter or Christmas ( i got x4 pay for that one! Woot!!).
    You cannot be forced to work Sundays unless you are contracted to Sunday work.

Some shops offer a premium payment for Sunday working, some don't. There isn't an obligation.
    where i work it's time and a half for sundays but some lucky buggars get double time. i think the time and a half is still in place, not too bothered though 'cause i get it and that's what matters to me!

i think also, if i work over 40 hours a week we get paid a bit more.
    I'm contracted to work Sundays and I get paid time and a half. Mind you that may just be an incentive pay due to Sundays..sucking ass...generally...
    I get £5.70 basic, time and a third on a sat, and time and two thirds on a sunday, time and two thirds night shifts and bank holidays. Also I get 8.33% annual leave supplement on top of my hours as I am a bank worker and have no fixed contract.

Until recently, Sunday opt-out didnt apply to scotland... but now it does... :) But this only applies to shop workers and betting shop workers..
    At our shop we can opt not to work Sundays if we want. If we choose to work Sundays then we just get paid normally. Our overtime is just paid at normal rates though. Check your contract.
    I don't have a contract. I've signed lots of things but not been given a contract yet, and none of them have said my rate of pay or anything like that on them.

I'm getting paid this week so I shall find out then I suppose.
    no they dont have to pay you overtime for sundays unfortunately.